+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gary Madine ... dawn of a new era?

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Gary Madine ... dawn of a new era?

Neil Harris's post match comments (courtesy of WOL)

A furious Neil Harris took aim at referee Robert Jones after Cardiff City's win over Nottingham Forest, branding his officiating a 'disgrace'.

Harris's gripe specifically related to Jones's lack of protection from Gary Madine, who was battered and bruised by the physical Forest defence.

The raucous home support booed and jeered Madine as he came crashing to the ground it Jones appeared to agree with them, handing Forest a handful of fouls at Madine's expense.

Those decisions were much to the annoyance of Harris, who believes Jones's mind had been made up before the game regarding who was going to be at fault and the Bluebirds boss launched a withering attack on the referee.

"I thought the protection he got from the referee was a disgrace," Harris fumed.

"The referee gave him absolutely nothing.

"He went up against two centre halves and a holding midfielder, Ben Watson, in front of him and he was better than the three of them put together.

"He got nothing from the referee. The referee had made his mind up before seeing Gary that he was going to give fouls against him.

"Unfortunately that's what that referee does."

Despite the rough treatment from both the Forest defence and, according to Harris, the referee, Madine was superb for most of the afternoon.

He battled for every ball, went up for every header and pressed the hosts' back four tirelessly.
    The travelling City supporters showed their appreciation for the Bluebirds striker when he left the field and it just reward for a brilliant afternoon.

Harris admitted that Madine had been written off, but he knows that performances like that will go a long way to silencing the critics.

"I thought he was outstanding,

"The fans, again, hugely appreciated his contribution, the team certainly do and I certainly do.

"Goals for Gary Madine have not happened in a Cardiff City shirt yet, but if he keeps having the input he is, I'm sure he will score goals.

"Gary knows he has to keep to his standards because he's always got to impress.

"He's not just impressing me, he's impressing everyone in the changing room and every one of the fans that come to watch.

"Because, let's be honest, Gary's been written off. But he is showing everyone at the moment what a good player he can be.

"When Gary Madine adds goals to his game then he is a really, really top player."

Re: Gary Madine ... dawn of a new era?

Any striker would struggle in madcap Warnock's system.

He's looked crap last 3 games imo. Clearly Harris rates him. I rate Bogle way over Gary. Tbf madine was on what 12 in half a season when we bought him - maybe he needs one goal then floodgates

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Neil Harris's post match comments (courtesy of WOL)

A furious Neil Harris took aim at referee Robert Jones after Cardiff City's win over Nottingham Forest, branding his officiating a 'disgrace'.

Harris's gripe specifically related to Jones's lack of protection from Gary Madine, who was battered and bruised by the physical Forest defence.

The raucous home support booed and jeered Madine as he came crashing to the ground it Jones appeared to agree with them, handing Forest a handful of fouls at Madine's expense.

Those decisions were much to the annoyance of Harris, who believes Jones's mind had been made up before the game regarding who was going to be at fault and the Bluebirds boss launched a withering attack on the referee.

"I thought the protection he got from the referee was a disgrace," Harris fumed.

"The referee gave him absolutely nothing.

"He went up against two centre halves and a holding midfielder, Ben Watson, in front of him and he was better than the three of them put together.

"He got nothing from the referee. The referee had made his mind up before seeing Gary that he was going to give fouls against him.

"Unfortunately that's what that referee does."

Despite the rough treatment from both the Forest defence and, according to Harris, the referee, Madine was superb for most of the afternoon.

He battled for every ball, went up for every header and pressed the hosts' back four tirelessly.
    The travelling City supporters showed their appreciation for the Bluebirds striker when he left the field and it just reward for a brilliant afternoon.

Harris admitted that Madine had been written off, but he knows that performances like that will go a long way to silencing the critics.

"I thought he was outstanding,

"The fans, again, hugely appreciated his contribution, the team certainly do and I certainly do.

"Goals for Gary Madine have not happened in a Cardiff City shirt yet, but if he keeps having the input he is, I'm sure he will score goals.

"Gary knows he has to keep to his standards because he's always got to impress.

"He's not just impressing me, he's impressing everyone in the changing room and every one of the fans that come to watch.

"Because, let's be honest, Gary's been written off. But he is showing everyone at the moment what a good player he can be.

"When Gary Madine adds goals to his game then he is a really, really top player."
    What a strange interview.

Deciding that the ref had it in for Madine even before the game began? 😳

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBluebird View Post
    He's looked crap last 3 games imo. Clearly Harris rates him. I rate Bogle way over Gary. Tbf madine was on what 12 in half a season when we bought him - maybe he needs one goal then floodgates
    Out of the two I would pick Madine , just feels he uses his size better than Bogle , trap and holds the ball better and provides a give and go monument to the attack , in the last three games I think he has done okay , made a goal NML , had one well saved by the keeper v Stoke ,where as Bogle for me missed the winner against Charlton ,when one on one with keeper , and his first touch is not great in my view , however I think Danny ward is better than both of them. Will be interesting when the German lad returns as to how he is treated by Harris , and the planned supply tactic to him .

Hmm. Referee not giving us much. Sounds pretty familiar post match comments from a City manager.
    He'd better get used to it.

It's a dangerous game publically berating
    referees, especially after a win!
    An old saying springs to mind, choose your battles wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Out of the two I would pick Madine , just feels he uses his size better than Bogle , trap and holds the ball better and provides a give and go monument to the attack , in the last three games I think he has done okay , made a goal NML , had one well saved by the keeper v Stoke ,where as Bogle for me missed the winner against Charlton ,when one on one with keeper , and his first touch is not great in my view , however I think Danny ward is better than both of them. Will be interesting when the German lad returns as to how he is treated by Harris , and the planned supply tactic to him .
    Harris knows what he wants from his striker and it looks like GM fits the bill.
    Either that or he is giving him (wisely) a number of games to impress.

Bogle looked a better option in the Warnock style as he looks like he can create something from very little, although he is frustrating to watch.
    (I should add that I didn't see today's game)

With Ward and Glatzel in the wings it's good to have options and the three have got a fight to get the shirt off Madine who, although hasn't scored, is part of a team with 7 points from 9 under the new manager.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Harris knows what he wants from his striker and it looks like GM fits the bill.
    Either that or he is giving him (wisely) a number of games to impress.

Bogle looked a better option in the Warnock style as he looks like he can create something from very little, although he is frustrating to watch.

With Ward and Glatzel in the wings it's good to have options and the three have got a fight to get the shirt off Madine who, although hasn't scored, is part of a team with 7 points from 9 under the new manager.
    Didn't he use Steve Morison in a similar role at Millwall

Really? Madine has played well in each of the last 3 games and was excellent today

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Didn't he use Steve Morison in a similar role at Millwall
    Possibly. Although I didn't study Millwall, nor Morrison, in any great detail, certainly of similar stature.

I never thought I would ever write these words but Madine was superb today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    What a strange interview.

Deciding that the ref had it in for Madine even before the game began? 😳
    Not hard to put together is it.

Physical Neil Warnock signing with a reputation off field etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I never thought I would ever write these words but Madine was superb today.
    Yes, when he went off we rarely kept the ball in their half.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes, when he went off we rarely kept the ball in their half.
    That's encouraging. From what i've seen of him, he does have the ability to protect the ball. If he doesn't score goals but can bring others into play then surely an attack minded midfielder could compliment Madine.

General concensys seems to be Madine played well - and tbf I only watched on a stream so I cede to those there - but I really didn't think he did. At all. Lol.

Dembe - it's not just that once that Bogle missed the game winner, it seems every time at home he hit the bar lol. Still like him tho

Whatever happened to Vassell?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Really? Madine has played well in each of the last 3 games and was excellent today
    Couldnt agree more. Another decent performance, just needs that first goal!

I didn’t see the game yesterday but he definitely didn’t play well in the other two.

Wasn’t he subbed in both?

I didnt see yesterdays game ,but I agree, Madine is beginning to look like a footballer lately.

As Harris alluded to , not something I would have said previously....

Madine's confidence is shot so Harris is building him up. But the reality is that twinkle toes Madine is useless.

I have been his biggest critic but he was excellent yesterday and was applauded of the pitch.
    It was noticeable that after he had gone off we had no outlet or hold up play and it was an attacking onslaught from them which was only thwarted with last ditch body on the line blocks and woeful finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Madine's confidence is shot so Harris is building him up. But the reality is that twinkle toes Madine is useless.
    Don’t think he’s useless. Think he’s a certain type of player for a certain type of team.

He’s bringing in Tomlin into play which is only a good thing, making use of 2 players that were thought as duds

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Don’t think he’s useless. Think he’s a certain type of player for a certain type of team.

He’s bringing in Tomlin into play which is only a good thing, making use of 2 players that were thought as duds
    Despite some comments that give him no credit at all, I think that his inclusion has led to both recent victories.

His hold-up play is something we have not seen at Cardiff for many years.

I cannot think of another striker that has been anything other than 'run and chase'.

Defenders are drawn to him, giving valuable space for the likes of NML, Tomlin, Hoillet and Bacuna to exploit.

His assist for Bacuna's goal against Stoke was absolute class.

Once he scores ...

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Despite some comments that give him no credit at all, I think that his inclusion has led to both recent victories.

His hold-up play is something we have not seen at Cardiff for many years.

I cannot think of another striker that has been anything other than 'run and chase'.

Defenders are drawn to him, giving valuable space for the likes of NML, Tomlin, Hoillet and Bacuna to exploit.

His assist for Bacuna's goal against Stoke was absolute class.

Once he scores ...
    I think the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I didn’t see the game yesterday but he definitely didn’t play well in the other two.

Wasn’t he subbed in both?
    Did you go to the Forest game well i did he made a huge impact and hes still getting match fit

CardiffCitySince1927

I rate Bogle way over Gary.
    Don’t worry, this happens all the time.
    Madine is the white one not Bogle.
    There sorted