+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Something stirring at Cardiff City?

Something stirring at Cardiff City?

Re: Something stirring at Cardiff City?

I believe NH said he hasn’t had much training time with the team, due to midweek fixtures and recovery sessions.
    Could it be that they are (in the main) performing like they know they can and bigger changes to style *may* come with more time together?

There are stand out things that may have been easier to implement like the throw ins and corners and basic instructions to try and keep the ball down, but with more time he may be able to get us playing more like he wants to see us play?

I based my opinion of him on how I’d seen Wall play, what their fans had to say about him and also basic stats you could find.
    I didn’t like it and in all the emotion it came out in droves and I think I nailed my feelings to the mast pretty obviously.

After hearing him talk over a few weeks though I am encouraged more, it may not work out that we get to play better football, which is what I want, even over winning 1 nil every week with hoofball (honestly)

Dead cat bounce

Just to repeat myself from another thread:

It's been really interesting and impressive to see Harris set out to win with near enough the same players who featured in Warnock's final few games and to get results. Not everyone of these may be in Harris' long term plans but he now gets to pick from a squad with greater confidence.
    As you pointed out, there are much tougher challenges to come but NH has started well by making very small changes to what we have been doing for past three years, presumably with greater developments further down the line. Football itself has been a bit drab but overall picture of what he's doing has been impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Just to repeat myself from another thread:

As you pointed out, there are much tougher challenges to come but NH has started well by making very small changes to what we have been doing for past three years, presumably with greater developments further down the line. Football itself has been a bit drab but overall picture of what he's doing has been impressive.
    I don’t agree. I don’t actually see what NH has done apart from getting the results.

He’s not changed the team dramatically. The style isn’t different. Tactics the same.

We can’t complain but long term I have no idea of the future of the team apart from Warnock less the personality

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I don’t agree. I don’t actually see what NH has done apart from getting the results.

He’s not changed the team dramatically. The style isn’t different. Tactics the same.

We can’t complain but long term I have no idea of the future of the team apart from Warnock less the personality
    Throw ins and corners for 2..

Tomlin starting and staying on longer 3

Striker being involved 4

5 full backs overlapping not too scared of getting forward because if they get caught out they are having their head ripped off, same goes for defenders not hoofing it every opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    5 full backs overlapping not too scared of getting forward because if they get caught out they are having their head ripped off, same goes for defenders not hoofing it every opportunity.
    I can see both sides of this. I agree with you about our full backs - Joe Bennett was moving forward outside of Mendez-Laing when he scored yesterday and upon watching the highlights of the Stoke match, I saw that one of the players supporting Bogle when he fell in the penalty area and the crowd appealed for a penalty was Peltier (he would never have been in a position like that under Warnock when we 1-0 up late in a game).

I'd say that is the most clear difference tactically between Neil Harris' side in our last two matches and Neil Warnock's. I don't feel an awful lot has changed in terms of how we're playing though, but Harris seems to be getting more out of some players (e.g Mendez-Laing and Tomlin), while Madine is another who is beginning to get critics like me to start thinking about reassessing his worth to us in a way he never did under Warnock and it seems to me that there is a bit of a return to the old "over my dead body" spirit they had during Warnock's best days..

Fortunately Neil Harris is a pragmatist. He knows full well that in footballing terms this squad is limited, and the initial route to success is getting them to do well what they were doing 2 seasons ago - as you stated. I think where Warnock and Harris differ however is Harris will not stick rigidly to one playing style, hopefully changing the squad over a couple of transfer windows, which will in turn give us a team that mixes it up a bit..