+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Murphy

Murphy

Gone in Jan?

If he’s not even starting with a new manager, there must be something up.

Either sulking or already lined up to go IMO

Re: Murphy

I reckon he's freezing him out to get him sold in January, plus can't risk an injury for the same reason. I was advised that Morrison was given a nice payrise (from an unusual but trustworthy source) not long ago, so he won't be going anywhere

Murphy has started a game in the last 6 now, nor even come on as a sub since Harris has been in charge. I just wonder how much money we'd recoup on him? I would expect him to have some time on the pitch next Saturday though as Holiett is looking tired in games. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Murphy has started a game in the last 6 now, nor even come on as a sub since Harris has been in charge. I just wonder how much money we'd recoup on him? I would expect him to have some time on the pitch next Saturday though as Holiett is looking tired in games. We'll see.
    If I had to single one player in the squad that the change of manager would have a positive impact on I would have said Josh Murphy. I could understand him not being selected in the starting eleven, but the non use of him from the bench is surprising - if he was sulking as has been suggested, why have him on the bench in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If I had to single one player in the squad that the change of manager would have a positive impact on I would have said Josh Murphy. I could understand him not being selected in the starting eleven, but the non use of him from the bench is surprising - if he was sulking as has been suggested, why have him on the bench in the first place?
    We don't have many other attacking options available. Whyte, Glatzel and Vassell are injured and Ward was suspended until yesterday. I don't think Murphy has been 100% fit either. Didn't he take a heavy knock in training just before Warnock left?

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I was advised that Morrison was given a nice payrise (from an unusual but trustworthy source)
    Philip Schofield?

Bit early to make too many conclusions yet IMHO.

Last 2 games we were hanging on, so not ideal time to use Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    We don't have many other attacking options available. Whyte, Glatzel and Vassell are injured and Ward was suspended until yesterday. I don't think Murphy has been 100% fit either. Didn't he take a heavy knock in training just before Warnock left?
    i can't remember seeing that, but maybe I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Gone in Jan?

If he’s not even starting with a new manager, there must be something up.

Either sulking or already lined up to go IMO
    I'd prefer NML anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I'd prefer NML anyway
    Looks a danger more centrally, rather than being stuck out hugging the touchline. Think Murphy could benefit from a change in instructions too tbh.

Sulking ffs, handed a living on a plate, it must be tough doing nothing for 30k a week hey

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Sulking ffs, handed a living on a plate, it must be tough doing nothing for 30k a week hey
    I don’t think that’s the case. Harris mentioned he was in contention in his last interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I don’t think that’s the case. Harris mentioned he was in contention in his last interview.
    Good to hear, I thought he was going to rip this league up this season...

Good to hear, I thought he was going to rip this league up this season...
    I still have a bit of hope that he will come good

Another Bobby Reid moment ,best to recoup and move on ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I still have a bit of hope that he will come good
    Not on what I've seen and he has had good game time to deliver and show us what his potential is

I'm not saying Murphy was on the brink of the England team or anything, but two of the sides visiting Cardiff City Stadium last season (Fulham and Southampton) withdrew their right backs at half time because he was giving them such a tough time - that doesn't happen all that often at that level and hardly suggests Murphy is as useless as some in this thread are making him out to be.

For me, Murphy has never been the same since Neil Warnock dropped him completely from the matchday squad for the vitally important return game at Fulham for an alleged poor attitude in training in the week before the match. If it was some motivational tool from a manager who appeared to lose his ability to motivate towards the end of his time with us, Murphy was back in the starting line up the following week against Palace which suggests it may well have been, then it failed completely and a player who should be a real force in this division has barely shown what he is capable of so far.

I'm not saying Murphy was on the brink of the England team or anything, but two of the sides visiting Cardiff City Stadium last season (Fulham and Southampton) withdrew their right backs at half time because he was giving them such a tough time - that doesn't happen all that often at that level and hardly suggests Murphy is as useless as some in this thread are making him out to be.

For me, Murphy has never been the same since Neil Warnock dropped him completely from the matchday squad for the vitally important return game at Fulham for an alleged poor attitude in training in the week before the match. If it was some motivational tool from a manager who appeared to lose his ability to motivate towards the end of his time with us, Murphy was back in the starting line up the following week against Palace which suggests it may well have been, then it failed completely and a player who should be a real force in this division has barely shown what he is capable of so far.
    Excellent summary.

Murphy has ability. He is, however, guilty of the same trait that used to annoy Bryan Robson with regards to Robert Earnshaw... when he has possession of the ball, he runs with his head down.
    It's why he seldom gets a decent cross in after beating 2-3 players and getting to the byline.
    For all Warnock's supposed man-management skills, I don't think he handled Murphy in the right way.
    Some players respond to an ear-bashing, others need an arm around them, it's the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Murphy has ability. He is, however, guilty of the same trait that used to annoy Bryan Robson with regards to Robert Earnshaw... when he has possession of the ball, he runs with his head down.
    It's why he seldom gets a decent cross in after beating 2-3 players and getting to the byline.
    For all Warnock's supposed man-management skills, I don't think he handled Murphy in the right way.
    Some players respond to an ear-bashing, others need an arm around them, it's the way it is.
    I think Warnock was good at motivating his type of player, rather than being a good man manager all round.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I think Warnock was good at motivating his type of player, rather than being a good man manager all round.
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. He liked the kind of player who bought into his ideology.. Peltier/Bamber, those kind of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. He liked the kind of player who bought into his ideology.. Peltier/Bamber, those kind of players.
    Yeah definitely.

Heisenberg

Manquillo was taken off at half time in the first home game of the season too. Murphy was running him ragged and Manquillo was very lucky not to get a second yellow before being withdrawn.