+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Playing Against The Jacks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Playing Against The Jacks

Since the 80s the Derby against the Jacks has been far bigger than the wurzels. Its not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Since the 80s the Derby against the Jacks has been far bigger than the wurzels. Its not even close.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    True - but since 1979 , that was the year of the January 1st game wasn't it ( without checking) which give rise to the line we will fight forever more because of New Year's Day. Ah, the days of Derby matches on bank holidays over xmas and Easter!! That also added a lot to the intensity and rivalry. The Sunday 12 noon kick offs have stopped the violence but have also killed the passion and intensity at these games , that's probably more the reason why the OP feels that the derby games mean less

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    True - but since 1979 , that was the year of the January 1st game wasn't it ( without checking) which give rise to the line we will fight forever more because of New Year's Day. Ah, the days of Derby matches on bank holidays over xmas and Easter!! That also added a lot to the intensity and rivalry. The Sunday 12 noon kick offs have stopped the violence but have also killed the passion and intensity at these games , that's probably more the reason why the OP feels that the derby games mean less
    Playing derbies on Sunday at midday has killed them off, no atmosphere or passion, be it bristol or Swansea. Can’t quite recall what time ko was when we beat the jacks in our first stint in the PL? Why can’t they do a bubble but have a Friday night game?
    We had some amazing aways at the vetch, welsh cup final, little woods cup replay game with two late goals. Sure there was a bit of bother but only really the fa cup in 91 when 1000’s of bluebirds took over Swansea town like they always used to in the 80’s.
    There’s never really been any serious disorder v the wurzels I think?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Playing derbies on Sunday at midday has killed them off, no atmosphere or passion, be it bristol or Swansea. Can’t quite recall what time ko was when we beat the jacks in our first stint in the PL? Why can’t they do a bubble but have a Friday night game?
    We had some amazing aways at the vetch, welsh cup final, little woods cup replay game with two late goals. Sure there was a bit of bother but only really the fa cup in 91 when 1000’s of bluebirds took over Swansea town like they always used to in the 80’s.
    There was really bad trouble against the wurzels away in 1990, there was violent incidents all day and a confrontation in the ground when city fans ripped the gate off that separated the fans. At the end of the game some City fans decided to dismantle the turnstile walls resulting in a police officer being badly injured when some idiot threw a concrete block that hit her on the head. After the game there was mass fighting in the park opposite Ashton Gate. Trouble used to break out when we went to them, although you're right in saying that there hasn't been any bother with them for years

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There was really bad trouble against the wurzels away in 1990, there was violent incidents all day and a confrontation in the ground when city fans ripped the gate off that separated the fans. At the end of the game some City fans decided to dismantle the turnstile walls resulting in a police officer being badly injured when some idiot threw a concrete block that hit her on the head. After the game there was mass fighting in the park opposite Ashton Gate. Trouble used to break out when we went to them, although you're right in saying that there hasn't been any bother with them for years
    I do vaguely recall the 1990 stuff but I was in Oz at the time and there was no web back then, no info! Also the game that was on a bbc wales tv documentary but not sure when then was either, sporadic incidents but no full scale trouble. Don’t think the trouble makers are there anymore to even cause bother, most looking at 50 and way to much to lose these days?

There's been serious disorder before, during and after games against Bristol City and Bristol Rovers on numerous occasions dating back to the Sixties. However, there's no doubt whatsoever that Cardiff's most intense rivalry is with Swansea, and that's been the case since the Eighties. The Severnside derby doesn't really compare to the Welsh derby and it hasn't for a long time.

Of course, there is another factor that nobody has mentioned: Bristol City's biggest rivals are Bristol Rovers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    There's been serious disorder before, during and after games against Bristol City and Bristol Rovers on numerous occasions dating back to the Sixties. However, there's no doubt whatsoever that Cardiff's most intense rivalry is with Swansea, and that's been the case since the Eighties. The Severnside derby doesn't really compare to the Welsh derby and it hasn't for a long time.

Of course, there is another factor that nobody has mentioned: Bristol City's biggest rivals are Bristol Rovers.
    Not so sure with regard to the last sentence. They kind of look at rovers like we do at Newport. Since our rise up, beating them in countless occasions including a playoff and 6-1 at Ashton gate, 2 visits the PL, I think they hate us a lot more than they used too.
    They don’t play rovers much these days, whilst living among them for 5 years, they always went a bit twitchy when they found out I was a bluebird....

Not so sure with regard to the last sentence. They kind of look at rovers like we do at Newport.
    Not in my experience. Admittedly, their rivalry has diminished somewhat in recent years due to league positions, but I'm pretty sure most Bristol City fans would tell you they regard Rovers as their number one rivals.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/b...t-park-3595613

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Not in my experience. Admittedly, their rivalry has diminished somewhat in recent years due to league positions, but I'm pretty sure most Bristol City fans would tell you they regard Rovers as their number one rivals.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/b...t-park-3595613
    Watched that, it was mentioned that England won, no mention whatsoever of the result of Bristol City v Bristol Rovers, slack journalism!

Not so sure with regard to the last sentence. They kind of look at rovers like we do at Newport. Since our rise up, beating them in countless occasions including a playoff and 6-1 at Ashton gate, 2 visits the PL, I think they hate us a lot more than they used too.
    They don’t play rovers much these days, whilst living among them for 5 years, they always went a bit twitchy when they found out I was a bluebird....
    6-1????? Don’t you dare give the shit kickers the credit of one goal!!!!