+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RIP Bob Willis.

RIP Bob Willis.

Just been announced that he has died at the age of 70.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/50655612

Made fast bowling look the very hard work it undoubtedly is, but was very effective, none more so than at Headingley in 1981 on a dodgy pitch. I can also remember him once saving a test match by batting three or more hours with Peter Willey against the great West Indian pace attack - forget his bowling, that was probably the greatest achievement of his career!

RIP

Re: RIP Bob Willis.

Gutted to hear of Bob's passing. All through my childhood and teens Bob was there charging in for England giving it his all.
    A bit like you Bob, while it was his 1981 exploits that he's remembered for I'll never forget his bat with the holes in it, to reduce wind resistance. So glad that never caught on. RIP Bob and thanks for the memories.

played in an era when I was hooked by cricket

RIP

Always remember him for 1981 (and my history teacher keeping us up to date with the score), and also Graham Gooch's impressions of him bowling from his ridiculously long run-up.
    Also, one of his middle names was Dylan as his parents were massive fans.

Sad news this.

Agree with the above in that he made bowling look like very hard work.
    His action with his long curly mullet swaying as he pounded up to the popping crease made him look like he was breaking the sound barrier.
    He did take many wickets mind you and is fourth in the all time England test wicket takers.

He will be long remembered for the Ashes test of 8 wickets granted but also because he was part of that fantastic England side of its day in an era that included Botham, Brearley, Gooch, Boycott, Gower, Derek "Arkle" Randall, Gower to name but a few.

RIP and thanks for some great memories Bob.

That is a shock and a big loss.

He always looked a bit 'out of it' when bowling and more recently analysing matches. But unique, independent and compelling!

Thanks for the memories Bob.

Sad news.
    God bless Bob

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Sad news.
    God bless Bob
    He was on sky a month or two back, and I thought at the time that he looked ill. He was very thin.. gaunt looking.

RIP bob.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrickman View Post
    He was on sky a month or two back, and I thought at the time that he looked ill. He was very thin.. gaunt looking.

RIP bob.
    That was his look wasn’t it Steve, never looked the healthiest but gave us some great moments. RIP Bob

I will always remember Headingley in 81. Not far off 40 years ago now. He gave everything that day and the Aussie batsmen couldn’t cope. It’s a great memory of an astonishing Ashes summer. RIP Bob.

Sad news great bowler and a very good pundit.

RIP Bob.

Wow that's a shock god , he won us some games , very quick .

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I will always remember Headingley in 81. Not far off 40 years ago now. He gave everything that day and the Aussie batsmen couldn’t cope. It’s a great memory of an astonishing Ashes summer. RIP Bob.
    Yes they bang about Botham he was the catalyst

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    That was his look wasn’t it Steve, never looked the healthiest but gave us some great moments. RIP Bob
    Hes had a long term illness apparently but as always with Bob he kept going and going would never give up.

First Team

Another of my childhood memories gone.
    He was an ugly mess of a quickie but he could bowl and then some.
    RIP Big Bob.