+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football has been ruined by the premier league

Football has been ruined by the premier league

My mates a city fan , is trying to get his lad interested in the bluebirds but all he talks about is mo saleh and Liverpool

Most of his mates , at school , in Cardiff are man united or Liverpool fans

The only way we will ever break this cycle of local kids supporting the rich clubs is in effect to become one of them and establish city in the top flight for a decade and maybe win something

God I hope Leicester catch up Liverpool , one of the founding members of the greedy league , along with Everton , united , spurs and arsenal

Re: Football has been ruined by the premier league

It’s been like this for decades have you just forgotten the last 30 years?

Nothing to do with the PL. Weve more fans now than pre PL.

The Man U and Liverpool lot are just armchair followers.

Nothing beats live football supporting your club. There are more City fans in local schools as the Man U and Liverpool ones almost certainly never go to a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    It’s been like this for decades have you just forgotten the last 30 years?
    Well there have always been big clubs but since the formation of the premier league by those clubs who felt they were more important than anyone else , its got far worse

I was picked up by a taxi driver in Bridgend the other day , a massive city fan who was telling me his son in laws kid is training with Cardiff city

Despite this his son in law supports , well watches , Liverpool on the telly and has never been to see city despite his son playing for one of the junior sides

Yet thanks to the devil that is sky his son in law can put on his Liverpool top and watch them live on the telly , as he has done since he has been a kid

I hate Liverpool , united , arsenal , spurs and Everton and love it when they get beaten , they have ruined football

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Nothing to do with the PL. Weve more fans now than pre PL.

The Man U and Liverpool lot are just armchair followers.

Nothing beats live football supporting your club. There are more City fans in local schools as the Man U and Liverpool ones almost certainly never go to a game.
    I beg to differ , south Wales is flooded with Liverpool and united fans and that includes the city of Cardiff

Its almost like Cardiff city are the favourite second team in Cardiff and the valleys

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I beg to differ , south Wales is flooded with Liverpool and united fans and that includes the city of Cardiff

Its almost like Cardiff city are the favourite second team in Cardiff and the valleys
    Well, we probably are. But the fact remains, City's fanbase has grown considerably in the last 10 years.

Caught a bit of Hawksby & Jacobs on TS earlier. They always talk sense but today they had a bloke on who was talking about the role VAR has in football and how it will develop over the next few seasons whereby supporters/viewers will hear the ref or a bloke in West London explaining the reason for the decision. They thought this was brilliant and 'just what the fans want'.

I seriously doubt they were being genuine, but Sky, BT, and all the media companies have been pushing for VAR for years. For them it adds another bit of 'excitement', another item to debate, play back, get the pundits' opinions. The problem is, every fan who actually goes to a game hates VAR. But that's 10,000, 20,000, or 60,000. There are probably millions worldwide watching on TV etc, and today, they're the real 'footie fans'. We're just extras making up the scenery..

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Well, we probably are. But the fact remains, City's fanbase has grown considerably in the last 10 years.
    Indeed but that's because we have been relatively successful , as in being a championship club

But we have had an fa cup final , Wembley play off appearances and two cracks at the top flight , not forgetting the Carling cup near miss with Liverpool

Yet still local kids and adults ignore us and support the greedy boys

In my view the money and media exposure of the premier league is to blame for this and also for the financial ruination of many clubs trying to get there , including us

Its a poisoned chalice

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Caught a bit of Hawksby & Jacobs on TS earlier. They always talk sense but today they had a bloke on who was talking about the role VAR has in football and how it will develop over the next few seasons whereby supporters/viewers will hear the ref or a bloke in West London explaining the reason for the decision. They thought this was brilliant and 'just what the fans want'.

I seriously doubt they were being genuine, but Sky, BT, and all the media companies have been pushing for VAR for years. For them it adds another bit of 'excitement', another item to debate, play back, get the pundits' opinions. The problem is, every fan who actually goes to a game hates VAR. But that's 10,000, 20,000, or 60,000. There are probably millions worldwide watching on TV etc, and today, they're the real 'footie fans'. We're just extras making up the scenery..
    Well said that man

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post

Absolutely

My facebook feed is full of videos Liverpool supporters celebrating or singing songs about players from armchair fans who will never, ever be there.

They do not have the match day experience and this is their way of expressing they are 'part of it' - load of bollox if you ask me

Oh and by the way Hawksby and Jacobs do not talk sense - they are extremely dismissive of anything outside of the top 6

Could one argue that the premier league has enhanced football by :

Making it a viewable and marketable product for many more fans via TV .

Brought in world class footballers and managers.

Pushed down the leagues more talented players because of the foreign imports .

Attendances increased in other leagues due to football becoming more fashionable .

Bought in and kept on board youngsters , who have so many other electronic interests and distractions .

Seen new fabulous stasis builds .

Pushed money into lower leagues .

Isn't the Championship now one of the most rewarding and talented leagues in Europe because of the desire to reach the Premiership?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Could one argue that the premier league has enhanced football by :

Making it a viewable and marketable product for many more fans via TV .

Brought in world class footballers and managers.

Pushed down the leagues more talented players because of the foreign imports .

Attendances increased in other leagues due to football becoming more fashionable .

Bought in and kept on board youngsters , who have so many other electronic interests and distractions .

Seen new fabulous stasis builds .

Pushed money into lower leagues .

Isn't the Championship now one of the most rewarding and talented leagues in Europe because of the desire to reach the Premiership?
    There has been no drip down of money into the lower leagues from the greedy feckers

Read searching for the soul of football by David conn

Its the foremost text on the disgrace that is modern top flight football

There has been no drip down of money into the lower leagues from the greedy feckers

Read searching for the soul of football by David conn

Its the foremost text on the disgrace that is modern top flight football
    The price of a ticket is ridiculous as well. People on low to medium incomes are going to struggle to watch live football, especially with a couple of kids.

My mates a city fan , is trying to get his lad interested in the bluebirds but all he talks about is mo saleh and Liverpool

The only way we will ever break this cycle of local kids supporting the rich clubs is in effect to become one of them and establish city in the top flight for a decade and maybe win something

God I hope Leicester catch up Liverpool , one of the founding members of the greedy league , along with Everton , united , spurs and arsenal
    Agreed that City being a top club is the only real way of creating generations of deep rooted support.

At least they're interested in football, not bastard rugby.

CardiffCitySince1927

Unfortunately this is how it is. I am currently in the school system.
    My year is about 240 kids, give or take 50/50 boys and girls. Let’s say 60% of boys and 5% of girls are interested in football. That leaves 78 kids. Including me, there are 6 Cardiff fans. There are also 5/6 big club fans in my form... there are 9 forms.
    It’s just the sad reality of modern day football, fans prefer to access their club in the comfort of their own home than at the stadium. Not me though, I’ve been brought up the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    Unfortunately this is how it is. I am currently in the school system.
    My year is about 240 kids, give or take 50/50 boys and girls. Let’s say 60% of boys and 5% of girls are interested in football. That leaves 78 kids. Including me, there are 6 Cardiff fans. There are also 5/6 big club fans in my form... there are 9 forms.
    It’s just the sad reality of modern day football, fans prefer to access their club in the comfort of their own home than at the stadium. Not me though, I’ve been brought up the right way.
    Hi mate

That's a school in Cardiff ?

Doesn't seem like much has changed , I went to school in Cardiff for the first two years of secondary school

There were two Cardiff fans in my class

It's the same in every country, in most if not all sports.

It's a bit of an odd human trait. With kids you can at times forgive it and hope that with age they learn there is more to football than sky TV and chatting to your fellow "fans" on Facebook. Unfortunately some never grow out of it.

CardiffCitySince1927

Hi mate

Doesn't seem like much has changed , I went to school in Cardiff for the first two years of secondary school

Yep. 1 more fan if you include teachers, but saying that, there are three Swansea fan teachers too

Blah blah blah, same old codswallop.
    Cardiff City's average attendance the season before the Premier League began: 6,195.

Cardiff City's current average attendance: 22,744.

Basically, shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Cardiff City's average attendance the season before the Premier League began: 6,195.

Cardiff City's current average attendance: 22,744.

Basically, shut up.
    Stop talking out of your arse , we have been successful , in relative terms since hamman took over

It's got feck all to do with the premier League

Get back in your spiders den

Hi mate

But the plastics aren’t real fans are they sludge? The kids sitting at home watching Liverpool no nothing about what it means to actually go to a game, just a top maybe and a pizza while watching a club 200 miles or so away. It’s like living a lie.....I feel sorry for them

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    But the plastics aren’t real fans are they sludge? The kids sitting at home watching Liverpool no nothing about what it means to actually go to a game, just a top maybe and a pizza while watching a club 200 miles or so away. It’s like living a lie.....I feel sorry for them
    Loads of blokes in their forties who should know better can be added to that list

Stop talking out of your arse , we have been successful , in relative terms since hamman took over

It's got feck all to do with the premier League

Get back in your spiders den
    Of course it has something to do with the Premiership , the closer we get to it the bigger its appeal to the fans , which in turn results in higher attendances and revenues .

And there is more trickle down money than ever before , the play off final is reported as one of the richest tournaments in the world (alledgly worth 160 million )

Before the Premiership if you got relegated to division 2 you didn't get anything like the millions you do now .

If we dislike the Premiership so much, why do we support and crave winning and promotion .

Am I missing something?

Loads of blokes in their forties who should know better can be added to that list
    Yes we all know a few, I got mates who pretend to follow spurs or Liverpool, never been there if course and lots of this type decided to go to France 2016 but never followed welsh club sides. We are def fighting back compared to the 80’s or 90’s when we only had 5000 crowds. If we could get up again and stay there for 5-10 years we’d wipe the disease of South Wales away a bit more.