+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You get what you deserve

You get what you deserve

Kin hell , BBC news report from Grimsby food bank

Years of austerity , benefit attacks , universal credit problems , damp housing

And one of the blokes using the food bank says he's going to vote conservative !!

The very government that has for ten years shafted those needing food banks in the first place

A turkey voting for Christmas if ever there was one

Re: You get what you deserve

After a little research I discovered the very first UK food bank opened in 2000. That was a Trussell Trust one. By 2004 they had two nationwide. Today they operate in excess of 200. I imagine any of us could pick a decade in Blighty's history and there'd be massive demand at food banks because getting stuff for nowt has always been hugely popular. All's different nowadays to pre-2000 is they didn't exist prior.

Prevous to no food banks there was no knowledge or facts to how many required thier use, it could be these numbers were always there.

On a personal note I distinctly remember as a child facing the end of the week with very little to eat ,cold with no heating .

Heisenberg

To the two posters above...

Try going 5 to 6 weeks without any money (and I don't mean waiting 5 weeks to get your wages) because you're waiting for a Universal Credit application to be processed and then come back with your opinions about how Foodbank usage has risen.

From what I've read the only new UC claimants who wait five weeks for an initial payment are those who fail to request it is loaned to them which occurs quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Prevous to no food banks there was no knowledge or facts to how many required thier use, it could be these numbers were always there.

On a personal note I distinctly remember as a child facing the end of the week with very little to eat ,cold with no heating .
    I was suggesting the huge increase in food bank demand is merely reflective of the number of outlets dispensing grub.

In 1946 the government of the day introduced Family Allowance (the forerunner to Child Benefit). Suddenly a vast number of parents who had two or more dependent children qualified for a weekly payment to supplement their income, and of course the majority piled in for it despite being able to get by in previous years without it. Another example is Winter Fuel Payment. That didn't exist until 1997... then 12 million (mostly oldies) rushed to get their mitts in the cookie jar. Like I said, freebies have always been incredibly popular.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    From what I've read the only new UC claimants who wait five weeks for an initial payment are those who fail to request it is loaned to them which occurs quickly.
    ....And those who are rejected for a variety of reasons. The 'advanced payment' is also a relatively new introduction due to the massive backlash.

The wait for your first payment is just one of the multiple examples of why UC is driving people into poverty as well as causing numerous other issues. One of my clients recently had her claim suspended as they thought her husband was living at the property - despite him moving out 20 years ago. She almost lost her home (it's still in the balance as the error hasn't been fully resolved yet) as housing benefit is part of UC.

I see first hand every day what the impact of austerity has had on society and the poverty it is causing. People are starving and losing their homes - but there are more people using foodbanks now because there are more foodbanks and people love a freebie, right?

Heisenberg

I was suggesting the huge increase in food bank demand is merely reflective of the number of outlets dispensing grub.

In 1946 the government of the day introduced Family Allowance (the forerunner to Child Benefit). Suddenly a vast number of parents who had two or more dependent children qualified for a weekly payment to supplement their income, and of course the majority piled in for it despite being able to get by in previous years without it. Another example is Winter Fuel Payment. That didn't exist until 1997... then 12 million (mostly oldies) rushed to get their mitts in the cookie jar. Like I said, freebies have always been incredibly popular.
    I don't know how to express how completely far off you are from reality by comparing Winter Fuel Allowance to foodbank usage. It would be funny if it wasn't so depressing.

Previous years to 1946... Presumably you're talking about the war years when fathers were away fighting and half the kids from cities were evacuated off to the country.

My old dear is a devout catholic and every week her local church has a food bank collection .......its distributed together with all the other churches collections from a central point in llantwit major which together with St athan has areas of deprivation and poverty

Since universal credit has come in , the use of this food bank has sky rocketed .......I have been down there to deliver time of corned beef , spam , tinned fruit , baked beans etc ........and the people coming in to collect food are POOR !!

Quite why this idiot in Grimsby using the food bank is going to vote conservative when it is conservative housing policy and benefit reforms that have forced his family to use food banks in the first place is beyond me

He's clearly very dull

Its his two kids I feel sorry for , along with his wife

A vote for the Conservatives is a vote for food banks, poverty and hatred

How any working class person can vote Tory is beyond me, they hold us in utter contempt

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't know how to express how completely far off you are from reality by comparing Winter Fuel Allowance to foodbank usage. It would be funny if it wasn't so depressing.
    Its one of the worst posts I've read on here in a while

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

How any working class person can vote Tory is beyond me, they hold us in utter contempt
    Top post IMHO 👍

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Kin hell , BBC news report from Grimsby food bank

Years of austerity , benefit attacks , universal credit problems , damp housing

And one of the blokes using the food bank says he's going to vote conservative !!

The very government that has for ten years shafted those needing food banks in the first place

A turkey voting for Christmas if ever there was one
    We've had all this before with the Referendum vote. I don't know why all these turkeys don't get unionised to get more goose on the Christmas table.

My lad who gets it got a 600 payment to cover the transfer to Universal credit said it works if your careful and not tempted to spend it on stuff other than bridging the changeover pain , a few people he knows went out blew there's on televisions which I guess is there choice, but then found themselves back applying for government free interest backed Budgeting Loan which is for critical needs ,I guess there are many other expertness about .

....And those who are rejected for a variety of reasons. The 'advanced payment' is also a relatively new introduction due to the massive backlash.

The wait for your first payment is just one of the multiple examples of why UC is driving people into poverty as well as causing numerous other issues. One of my clients recently had her claim suspended as they thought her husband was living at the property - despite him moving out 20 years ago. She almost lost her home (it's still in the balance as the error hasn't been fully resolved yet) as housing benefit is part of UC.

I see first hand every day what the impact of austerity has had on society and the poverty it is causing. People are starving and losing their homes - but there are more people using foodbanks now because there are more foodbanks and people love a freebie, right?
    There's always been those whose claims are rejected, or under scrutiny, or failed because of a system error, etc, because it's a gigantic bureaucracy and was that way before the advent of Universal Credit. The case you touched upon is indicative of one of the most common doubts when people are suspected of being shacked-up together while claiming separately, invariably from different households, instead of as a couple at the same address. From reading forums it's often due to someone moving out but continues to have some correspondence delivered to their former abode. You likely know .gov has something known as the General Matching Service that collate a vast amount of data.

The point was obvious, I thought. You give stuff away free of charge and there'll be plenty of takers. The BBC ran a story that of the 12 million eligible to collect Winter Fuel Payment just 400 declined. That's a ratio of 1 in every 30,000. I don't blame those for grabbing whatever they can whether needed or not as it's human nature and it's endemic in the UK from the lowest to the very top as HM Elizabeth II bagged £82 million this year making her Britain's largest benefit claimant.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Previous years to 1946... Presumably you're talking about the war years when fathers were away fighting and half the kids from cities were evacuated off to the country.
    No. I meant any year between 1909 and 1945. 1909 because that was the year the British welfare state begun with the introduction of the State Pension.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

The Labour Party also view the working class with utter contempt. They have since their first go at government in the 1920s when they forced the unemployed to attend work camps else lose their pitiful unemployment benefit.

- It may seem incredible to us now, but it was Ramsay MacDonald's Labour government which introduced work camps - officially called "Instructional Centres." - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7842448.stm

Heisenberg

There's always been those whose claims are rejected, or under scrutiny, or failed because of a system error, etc, because it's a gigantic bureaucracy and was that way before the advent of Universal Credit. The case you touched upon is indicative of one of the most common doubts when people are suspected of being shacked-up together while claiming separately, invariably from different households, instead of as a couple at the same address. From reading forums it's often due to someone moving out but continues to have some correspondence delivered to their former abode. You likely know .gov has something known as the General Matching Service that collate a vast amount of data.
    I'm giving you anecdotal evidence of what kind of effect UC is actually having on people and your response is basically "it's always been this way".

Well, it hasn't.

UC is a massive cluster**** and has even brought DWP staff to the point where they have spoken to the press about how badly it is managed and how convoluted the system is.

I've been dealing with UC claimants for 2/3 years on a daily basis and I still can't fully grasp how it all works as the rules change all of the time too.

Back to the original point... Poverty is on the rise because of austerity and Tory policies (don't get me started on ESA and PIP decisions).

I don't know how to argue this any further as it's just a fact. I've seen it get worse over the last 5-6 years.

You're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is in this case. I'm telling you what actually goes on and that you're so wrong about how people's lives are being affected.

Heisenberg

The point was obvious, I thought. You give stuff away free of charge and there'll be plenty of takers. The BBC ran a story that of the 12 million eligible to collect Winter Fuel Payment just 400 declined. That's a ratio of 1 in every 30,000. I don't blame those for grabbing whatever they can whether needed or not as it's human nature and it's endemic in the UK from the lowest to the very top as HM Elizabeth II bagged £82 million this year making her Britain's largest benefit claimant.
    How do you think foodbanks work? How would you go and get your free "grub", as you called it?

I have an inkling that you have no idea which is why it's still making no sense why you'd compare WFA with foodbank usage.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    My lad who gets it got a 600 payment to cover the transfer to Universal credit said it works if your careful and not tempted to spend it on stuff other than bridging the changeover pain , a few people he knows went out blew there's on televisions which I guess is there choice, but then found themselves back applying for government free interest backed Budgeting Loan which is for critical needs ,I guess there are many other expertness about .
    You can't apply for a budgeting loan on UC

How do you think foodbanks work? How would you go and get your free "grub", as you called it?

I have an inkling that you have no idea which is why it's still making no sense why you'd compare WFA with foodbank usage.
    I occasionally view this forum https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...ysprune=&f=139 for an insight into benefit related info.

Heisenberg

I occasionally view this forum https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...ysprune=&f=139 for an insight into benefit related info.
    I didn't ask where you got your information from.

I'll repeat my questions...

Posting a link to MoneySavingExpert isn't an answer.

I now strongly believe that you haven't got a clue how they work - which makes your claims about them a bit ridiculous, doesn't it?

I don't know if you're different to some of the other posters on here and that you're capable of showing some form of humility... you could just admit you may have got the wrong impression of how foodbanks work and then I could enlighten you.

Unless you don't want the facts and want to continue to spout nonsense about the subject.

I seem to recall people get to collect when they gain a referral from the Jobcentre, maybe from other sources too. I sincerely hope this reply satisfies your exacting standards. If it doesn't then tough titty.