+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Claiming on Car Insurance: Advice Sought

Claiming on Car Insurance: Advice Sought

Oh font of all knowledge, I seek some advice

I have had my car broken into this morning. The small triangle window, by the wing mirror, was smashed to gain access to my car. I have had some gardening tools nicked.

On ringing the insurance company they wanted to know my driving licence number. After frantic searching i cannot find my driving licence, as I haven't had to use it it in god knows how many years. Fair enough that they need this information.

I have been in my current address for eight years and can't actually remember renewing the licence. Therefore they want to know my old address which would be on my licence. They also want this along with my driving licence number which I keep in a book with passport number, various computer passwords etc. So no problems there.

However, they also want to know my National Insurance number too, which I am reluctant to give them. I hate giving out any details unless I absolutely have to.

Therefore should I definitely have to give them my National Insurance number, and for what reason do they need it?

Thanks, I know someone will be able to come up with the answer

Re: Claiming on Car Insurance: Advice Sought

How much would a quarter light cost to replace? Depending on the cost, is it worth claiming? That's what I think Mr Soul 68. Price it up buddy. Sorry for your misfortune.

On fully comp policies, windows are normally free, or they used to be.

Your insurance company are not based in Africa by any chance

I’ve never heard of giving a NI NUMBER out !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Oh font of all knowledge, I seek some advice

I have had my car broken into this morning. The small triangle window, by the wing mirror, was smashed to gain access to my car. I have had some gardening tools nicked.

On ringing the insurance company they wanted to know my driving licence number. After frantic searching i cannot find my driving licence, as I haven't had to use it it in god knows how many years. Fair enough that they need this information.

I have been in my current address for eight years and can't actually remember renewing the licence. Therefore they want to know my old address which would be on my licence. They also want this along with my driving licence number which I keep in a book with passport number, various computer passwords etc. So no problems there.

However, they also want to know my National Insurance number too, which I am reluctant to give them. I hate giving out any details unless I absolutely have to.

Therefore should I definitely have to give them my National Insurance number, and for what reason do they need it?

Thanks, I know someone will be able to come up with the answer
    I can't see any reason at all why the insurance company would need your licence number or NI number. Unless you are unwittingly allowing them to check you haven't lied on your insurance application or are a serial benefits fraudster and now trying it on with insurers. Query what they want the information for.

Are the tools and the window worth the hit your gonna take on your next premium.

Thanks for all your replies folks. I had about £500 worth of gardening equipment nicked i,e petrol chainsaw and hedge trimmer plus various other bits n pieces. I priced up the window before ringing the insurance company and was given the quotes of £95 and £93.

When I call them in the morning I will definitely ask why my NI number is needed

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Thanks for all your replies folks. I had about £500 worth of gardening equipment nicked i,e petrol chainsaw and hedge trimmer plus various other bits n pieces. I priced up the window before ringing the insurance company and was given the quotes of £95 and £93.

When I call them in the morning I will definitely ask why my NI number is needed
    I used to work for HMRC and we had someone from the DWP come to our office to give us a talk on fraud. He reckoned any valid NINO was worth several thousand pounds to criminals and told us to advise our customers never to give it out unless to a bona fide Government department. So I would be very wary giving it out to the insurance company as there is no valid reason for them to know it. And I would advise them the same and if they demand it then ask them to put it in writing stating the exact reason why they need it for an insurance claim. If you get no joy then refer them to the DWP for a bit of friendly advice.

Whose the insurance company. I've had a bumps always other people's fault. Never been asked for my N. I number

Most car rental Companies now ask for your NI number.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    Most car rental Companies now ask for your NI number.
    I assume you mean in the UK? I can’t remember ever being asked for it. I was once asked for my paper counterpart in Ireland and when I didn’t have it they gave me the keys anyway. Never understand why companies ask for stuff they don’t need

They can use your NI number to validate your drivers licence with DVLA

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    They can use your NI number to validate your drivers licence with DVLA
    Stop talking sense. There’s a big conspiracy regarding NI fraud going on here!!