+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: War films at Christmas, I hate xmas

War films at Christmas, I hate xmas

Some great war films on this xmas for those of us that hate this time of year

Sunday night we have Defiance , a great film about the resistance of Jews in Belarus to the incoming nazis .....BBC two 11PM

My favourite other war films ....

Cross of Iron

Platoon

Paths of glory ......Kubrick's finest hour

First Team

Re: War films at Christmas, I hate xmas

As long as the Great Escape is on , I’m happy. I don’t mind the much derided Escape to Victory either.
    Prefer an Ealing comedy though.
    In fact as long as it’s not a slushy Richard Curtis romcom then the world is a better place

It's got to be "Where Eagles Dare" surely! Broadsword calling Danny Boy etc....

Why would you hate this time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Some great war films on this xmas for those of us that hate this time of year

Sunday night we have Defiance , a great film about the resistance of Jews in Belarus to the incoming nazis .....BBC two 11PM

My favourite other war films ....

Cross of Iron

Platoon

Paths of glory ......Kubrick's finest hour
    Cross of Iron is a good film. I particularly like the opening credits. The montage is even better than that of Looking for Mr Goodbar. Everything you need to know about the background to the film is captured in a few minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sqwkpiFg4c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNYX8KpzfeA

I haven’t seen Defiance but I would be surprised if it is not a load of glamorized Hollywood nonsense. I’ve read a lot about partisan groups in Poland and Ukraine and there are two sides to the Bielski Partisans story.

I’m looking forward to watching the new Midway film. I will be able to watch that without worrying about patriots being falsely accused of being traitors or criminals posing as patriots. The amount of destruction in the Battle of Midway was incredible, but I don’t think any innocent civilians were killed apart from some contractors on Midway Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Now you've done it.

One of the ITV channels (other than the main one) is having an anti-Christmas film season for anyone who doesn't like this time of year. Somewhere to go to escape.

Why wait for any film to appear on tv?

A bit of Kelly’s heroes, followed by planet of the apes, finished off with diamonds are forever......

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    Cross of Iron is a good film. I particularly like the opening credits. The montage is even better than that of Looking for Mr Goodbar. Everything you need to know about the background to the film is captured in a few minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sqwkpiFg4c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNYX8KpzfeA

I haven’t seen Defiance but I would be surprised if it is not a load of glamorized Hollywood nonsense. I’ve read a lot about partisan groups in Poland and Ukraine and there are two sides to the Bielski Partisans story.

I’m looking forward to watching the new Midway film. I will be able to watch that without worrying about patriots being falsely accused of being traitors or criminals posing as patriots. The amount of destruction in the Battle of Midway was incredible, but I don’t think any innocent civilians were killed apart from some contractors on Midway Island.
    Cross of iron is so brutal

I loved diane Keaton as a young boy , she was stunning

Defiance is a very good film

The planet is dying , people are starving to death yet we spend millions stuffing our faces , getting pissed , buying presents as people sleep on the streets

It's all bollocks and I hate it

The planet is dying , people are starving to death yet we spend millions stuffing our faces , getting pissed , buying presents as people sleep on the streets

I assume you won't be in the lodge at the Bear Hotel on christmas eve then?

The planet will probably out live us, it will repair its self when we **** off.

People starve all year round, you miserable ****er.

The true reasons he hates Christmas is because there's a temporary dearth of sex-starved scrubbers at his favourite dogging retreat. He often spends an age shivering in his clapped-out banger listening to twice Eurovision Song Contest winner Johnny Logan CDs while waiting for a heifer to turn up. He has an extreme dislike for his itchy thermal undies and vest but realises they're essential wear as the wind can really whistle around Castell Coch's car park. He once confided that he finds the experience quite depressing at times and sought my advice. I recommended he ditched the Logan shite in favour of Daniel O'Donnell's Greatest Hits.

Don't do it then

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    The planet will probably out live us, it will repair its self when we **** off.

People starve all year round, you miserable ****er.
    Planets been going for billions of years mun and has been through far worse, lets be honest if we had another event which wiped out the current version of the human, it wouldn't really be a bad thing would it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Planets been going for billions of years mun and has been through far worse, lets be honest if we had another event which wiped out the current version of the human, it would really be a bad thing would it.
    Exactly. Makes me laugh though the “WeRe kiLliNg tHe pLaNEt” brigade.

Oh and starving kids only matter at Xmas.. just a shit excuse for a grumpy **** to be grumpy.

Planets been going for billions of years mun and has been through far worse, lets be honest if we had another event which wiped out the current version of the human, it wouldn't really be a bad thing would it.
    What a load of bollocks lol

Exactly. Makes me laugh though the “WeRe kiLliNg tHe pLaNEt” brigade.

Oh and starving kids only matter at Xmas.. just a shit excuse for a grumpy **** to be grumpy.
    So the planet isn't under threat then ?

100000 lions dead in Africa in thirty years ?

The Amazon rainforests decimated ?

The scientists are all wrong about climate change ?

Quick , you better get on the BBC news and tell these experts they are wrong and all us save the planet types are idiots

You clearly are onto something buddy

And all these families going to food banks whilst we are stuffing our faces with turkey ? Clearly that's all rubbish too

Blimey you are the second coming of Christ

We are not worthy !!

God help us with attitudes like yours , sheer hedonism and cobblers to everybody else !

So the planet isn't under threat then ?

100000 lions dead in Africa in thirty years ?

The Amazon rainforests decimated ?

The scientists are all wrong about climate change ?

Quick , you better get on the BBC news and tell these experts they are wrong and all us save the planet types are idiots

You clearly are onto something buddy

And all these families going to food banks whilst we are stuffing our faces with turkey ? Clearly that's all rubbish too

Blimey you are the second coming of Christ

We are not worthy !!

God help us with attitudes like yours , sheer hedonism and cobblers to everybody else !
    Oh that’s one hell of a bite. I’ll take that.

The planet has repaired itself (you said planet not animals btw) before. It will be here years after we’re gone too.

And the hunger issue is there all year round, I eat well all year round not just at Xmas so my concern for hungry people doesn’t just pop up as an excuse to hate Xmas.

Don't do it then
    I certainly won't be having anything to do with the whole capitalist , corporate binge festival

Half the presents will be on the council skip within a week as poorer kids live in damp bed and breakfasts with no food never mind presents

Oh that’s one hell of a bite. I’ll take that.

The planet has repaired itself (you said planet not animals btw) before. It will be here years after we’re gone too.

And the hunger issue is there all year round, I eat well all year round not just at Xmas so my concern for hungry people doesn’t just pop up as an excuse to hate Xmas.
    You are talking out of your arse , you have been sussed , you know full well planet means forests , oceans , atmosphere and animals , including dull humans

Xmas is all that is wrong with western society , the hidden tribes of the Amazon have got the right idea , sadly they are going to be gone soon

Unless your magnificence extends to regenerating rain forests and rivers ?

When the trees have all been cut down and the rivers have all run dry then you will know that you cannot eat money

Enjoy your beer and turkey

I certainly won't be having anything to do with the whole capitalist , corporate binge festival

Half the presents will be on the council skip within a week as poorer kids live in damp bed and breakfasts with no food never mind presents
    Obuma has just bought a new 12 million dollar home on the coast,
    If living next door to the coast for him is good enough, he obviously doesn't buy into the impending coastal flooding, do as we tell you not as we do .f@cking fraudsters, how did he manage a 12 million dollar home on a 400k a year salary, he says he was skint going into office.

Obuma has just bought a new 12 million dollar home on the coast,
    If living next door to the coast for him is good enough, he obviously doesn't buy into the impending coastal flooding, do as we tell you not as we do .f@cking fraudsters, how did he manage a 12 million dollar home on a 400k a year salary, he says he was skint going into office.
    I couldn't give a toss what he does

I would rather listen to that Scandinavian young lass , she talks sense

I don't hate Christmas (what is Xmas?) but I hate what Christmas has become. It is a million miles from the "Christ Mass". However there is no need to get "pissed" - how about helping out at a food bank or serving the homeless over the holiday season?