+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RIP Ron Saunders

RIP Ron Saunders

Ron Saunders will be remembered by most as the manager of Aston Villa who gained promotion to the old Div One and then the Div One championship. When he quit, his team, managed by Tony Barton won the European Cup.

But I remember him as a pugnacious centre-forward who played for Pompey. He was their top goalscorer for six seasons on the trot, and is still their third highest goalscorer. I can still picture him playing aggressively - which is quite something for me! And Tony Barton was the right winger in that team.

Re: RIP Ron Saunders

Big character

I didn't realise that he left Villa before they won the European Cup. RIP Ron.

I remember him with a Pompey side who we could never seem to get the better of in the 60s.

Can’t remember him as a player, but I can when he was Villa boss. Came across as an honest, tough but fair type of guy.
    I’m sure I read somewhere yrs ago that he actually broke his neck. (Unless my memory is playing tricks). RIP Ron.

That European cup final was the making of a young Nigel Spink in goal.

Spink now runs a courier business with Paul Munro. Originally they wanted to call it M&S Couriers but couldn't, so it's now called, yes you've guessed it, S&M couriers ....