+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Etheridge

Etheridge

WTF has happened to his kicking???

When he joined he was dreadful with the ball at his feet but as the season wore on he did improve.

I actually thought he was ok last season as well.

But since he’s come back into the team this season he’s been an absolute liability! He’s not comfortable on his right foot, let alone his left. When he hits the ball long it’s like a lottery where it goes, it seems his balance is all wrong when he strikes through the ball.
    I wince every time he’s under pressure as I think he’ll get caught.

First and foremost the job of a keeper is to prevent goals but they also need to be relatively comfortable with the ball at their feet.

Smithies is a lot better with his distribution than Etheridge and was unlucky to be dropped originally.

Re: Etheridge

That's all her had to do yesterday too, apart from collect a couple of crosses ....and pick the ball out off the net twice.

I saw a few times the defender's looking to him for help by becoming the extra defender, to off load a pass too, all he did was stand on the line .

He doesnt seem able to switch his feet very well with ball at foot .

Oppostion teams must be gleaming with joy when he distributes.

Smithies was so much better at distribution.

He is capable of shocking distribution, two or three times yesterday, but the number of games in a row where this isn't talked about suggests he has improved: we've seen him start 9 games in a row now and this is the first time, I believe, where this thread has reappeared.

CardiffCitySince1927

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I saw a few times the defender's looking to him for help by becoming the extra defender, to off load a pass too, all he did was stand on the line .

He doesnt seem able to switch his feet very well with ball at foot .

Oppostion teams must be gleaming with joy when he distributes.

Smithies was so much better at distribution.

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php...82#post5027182

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    He is capable of shocking distribution, two or three times yesterday, but the number of games in a row where this isn't talked about suggests he has improved: we've seen him start 9 games in a row now and this is the first time, I believe, where this thread has reappeared.
    He’s gone backwards dramatically this season. Yesterday was the worst it’s been though. You can sense an edginess in the crowd, every time the ball is passed back to him, be that under pressure or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavross1927 View Post

When he joined he was dreadful with the ball at his feet but as the season wore on he did improve.

But since he’s come back into the team this season he’s been an absolute liability! He’s not comfortable on his right foot, let alone his left. When he hits the ball long it’s like a lottery where it goes, it seems his balance is all wrong when he strikes through the ball.

First and foremost the job of a keeper is to prevent goals but they also need to be relatively comfortable with the ball at their feet.

Smithies is a lot better with his distribution than Etheridge and was unlucky to be dropped originally.
    Your final comments are very true

CardiffCitySince1927

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Your final comments are very true
    It’s not though. He is a worse passer

Quote Originally Posted by Stavross1927 View Post

Yesterday he had a kick charged down,he put another in the crowd and and one straight down the middle along the floor which we got away with.

We’ll get done one day.

[QUOTE=theclaw;5027191]Yesterday he had a kick charged down,he put another in the crowd and and one straight down the middle along the floor which we got away with.

We’ll get done one day.[/QUOTE

Smithies did well when he stood in for ethridge. And is a very competent understudy. But ethridge is easily our best keeper and actually gives me an additional level of confidence that he stands behind our back line. Yes he needs to work on his kicking but far rather that way round than being a dodgy keeper. Considering we got as a free from level below what a wonderful signing. Absolutely the least of our problems.