+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Offside - Linesman should ignore offside

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Offside - Linesman should ignore offside

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I've often wondered what football would be with out the off side rule. No holding a line, no offside traps, more goals, less pauses in the game. Has it ever been tried anywhere?
    I think it would be terrible. It would encourage more direct football, and be the end of the through ball (love a throughball). It would be big forwards trying to win the ball in the area.

I don't think there's much wrong with the offside rule. It's not perfect at all, but the changes that were made in the last 15 years changed the game massively, from Greece and AC Milan v Juventus in 03 and 04 to all the interesting different styles we've seen since then - Barca and Spain's tiki taka, Germany's counterattacking, Leicester's sucker punching to the title, and so on.

What IS a problem, and what is destroying the fun in football, is VAR with it's ittybitty nitpicking over where a winger's armpit is. Go back to the lino's eyesight and tell TV to fecking stop analysing offsides for ten minutes and talk about the game instead at halftime and on the highlight shows. That's all that's needed.

BTW, this is one of my favourite ever throughballs. Silva to Milner vs Everton in 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4jp2JIbHnU

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I

What IS a problem, and what is destroying the fun in football, is VAR with it's ittybitty nitpicking over where a winger's armpit is. Go back to the lino's eyesight and tell TV to fecking stop analysing offsides for ten minutes and talk about the game instead at halftime and on the highlight shows. That's all that's needed.

I'd give managers two challenges (like NFL) and VAR only used when requested by them (loss of a subsitution if you challenege incorrectly). There is a place for it to fix really bad decisions but the forensic analysis of every decision is not what it is for.

The Arsenal Man U one was a good example, the linesman had to move to see around the Man u defender but still managed to ignore him

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think it would be terrible. It would encourage more direct football, and be the end of the through ball (love a throughball). It would be big forwards trying to win the ball in the area.

I don't think there's much wrong with the offside rule. It's not perfect at all, but the changes that were made in the last 15 years changed the game massively, from Greece and AC Milan v Juventus in 03 and 04 to all the interesting different styles we've seen since then - Barca and Spain's tiki taka, Germany's counterattacking, Leicester's sucker punching to the title, and so on.

BTW, this is one of my favourite ever throughballs. Silva to Milner vs Everton in 2011

Why would it end the through ball? Through balls are just balls into space.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Why would it end the through ball? Through balls are just balls into space.
    Because there'd be less space. If there's no offside, the defence has absolutely nothing to gain from moving up the pitch.

Edit: a through ball is a pass into space behind the defensive line.