+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neil Warnock on life since Cardiff City

Re: Neil Warnock on life since Cardiff City

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Remember where we were when he took over.
    We do indeed have a mediocre squad but it’s a solid enough platform for Harris to work with and improve over the next couple of transfer windows.
    We have no fear of relegation and I’m sure that.
    We also have parachute payments.
    So we’re going off league position?

There’s more to it than that though. Surely.

He hasn’t really improved us, he took us up and spent loads of money, now we have more players earning more money and not too many of them are young are they, look at the age of our defence for starters.

We have parachute payments, but we also have a higher wage bill, kind of cancel each other out to a degree don’t they.

Neil did a grand job taking us up, then proceeded to talk about how we belong in the South Wales amateur league and shouldn’t be anywhere near these greats in the PL. The great man manager literally sucked the confidence out of the whole team, which is apparent if you watch them now with barely any time/input off the new manager.

I don’t see how he’s made us better. I really don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Neil warnock was a superb manager for cardiff city

He dragged the club up by its bootstraps

A bluebirds legend

Thanks Neil

Seems like Neil Harris ain't doing a bad job either

Warnock is a show off and a whinger but by heck he's a superb manager and we were lucky to have him

It's only a few weeks ago Neil harris was being compared to slade and trollope by a few on here and some even suggested he was warnock in disguise with boring route one football

Some of our supporters are off their heads
    Harris has surprised me with the youth talk, but I went off what I’d seen personally from his teams in games I’d seen (against us and the odd sky game) and I used comments from other managers after games, I also read their messageboards and had a nose of twitter and it all seemed to back the route one football I had seen with my own eyes.

Another self righteous tosser on the ccmb zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Harris has surprised me with the youth talk, but I went off what I’d seen personally from his teams in games I’d seen (against us and the odd sky game) and I used comments from other managers after games, I also read their messageboards and had a nose of twitter and it all seemed to back the route one football I had seen with my own eyes.

Another self righteous tosser on the ccmb zzzz

I repeat Warnock turned this club around from a relegation threatened team to automatic promotion

We were very unlucky not to stay up and had some terrible refereeing decisions go against us not to mention the sala incident , by all accounts he would have found the net

My mate lives next door to Neil Warnock in a village near Bridgend ......him and his wife love it here and felt a real bond with the fans

Its sad to read some of the ill informed diatribes about one of the greatest managers this club has ever seen

The championship is a very very hard league to get out of ......he not only stopped us from being relegated in that first season .....we were aimless , without direction and going down .....but the next season he got us promoted

There is nothing more to be said , the keyboard warrior armchair fans will have their bites , as is their right

But they are wrong and time will prove it

Thank you Neil Warnock

I repeat Warnock turned this club around from a relegation threatened team to automatic promotion

We were very unlucky not to stay up and had some terrible refereeing decisions go against us not to mention the sala incident , by all accounts he would have found the net

My mate lives next door to Neil Warnock in a village near Bridgend ......him and his wife love it here and felt a real bond with the fans

Its sad to read some of the ill informed diatribes about one of the greatest managers this club has ever seen

The championship is a very very hard league to get out of ......he not only stopped us from being relegated in that first season .....we were aimless , without direction and going down .....but the next season he got us promoted

There is nothing more to be said , the keyboard warrior armchair fans will have their bites , as is their right

Thank you Neil Warnock
    How will time prove something you typed?

It was a handful of games into the season, what’s to say ANY other manager doesn’t save us “from certain relegation” as you put it?
    Why can’t I appreciate what NW did while still criticise him? What is it with you lot not having ANYTHING bad said against the man, or in some cases the club as a whole.

Isn’t our wage bill higher? And we have and ageing squad too.

I understand the wages go up as we went up a division, but we hardly have a complete squad. There’s still plenty of gaps to fill. If he left us with competition in all areas and lowered the age I’d get your point. But he hasn’t.
    So we’re going off league position?

There’s more to it than that though. Surely.

He hasn’t really improved us, he took us up and spent loads of money, now we have more players earning more money and not too many of them are young are they, look at the age of our defence for starters.

We have parachute payments, but we also have a higher wage bill, kind of cancel each other out to a degree don’t they.

Neil did a grand job taking us up, then proceeded to talk about how we belong in the South Wales amateur league and shouldn’t be anywhere near these greats in the PL. The great man manager literally sucked the confidence out of the whole team, which is apparent if you watch them now with barely any time/input off the new manager.

I don’t see how he’s made us better. I really don’t.

The club is clearly in a much better shape because of Warnock.
    Both on and off the pitch.

It’s a shame that the last few months seem to have tarnished his legacy with some fans.
    To me, he is the best manager we’ve had since Eddie May. Not many managers could have galvanized our fan base after the red debacle.

He’s a CCFC legend in my eyes.

How will time prove something you typed?

It was a handful of games into the season, what’s to say ANY other manager doesn’t save us “from certain relegation” as you put it?
    Why can’t I appreciate what NW did while still criticise him? What is it with you lot not having ANYTHING bad said against the man, or in some cases the club as a whole.
    You can say what you want but time will prove you are wrong

Neil Warnock didn't do an Eddie may and get us promoted from the old division four , he got us promoted from probably the most competitive and challenging league in European football , just a year after saving us from relegation

Andrews, ashurst , Durban , Lawrence , may , burrows , Jones , Trollope , Slade , hibbitt , Gould

We have had some good and bad managers since the mid seventies

But none of them can hold a flame to Warnock

I'm grateful to Warnock for what he did here but if he thinks he's left a top 2 squad he's even barmier than I thought

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'm grateful to Warnock for what he did here but if he thinks he's left a top 2 squad he's even barmier than I thought
    He's just so Tabloid, i wouldn't expect him to say anything else.

The club is clearly in a much better shape because of Warnock.
    Both on and off the pitch.

It’s a shame that the last few months seem to have tarnished his legacy with some fans.
    To me, he is the best manager we’ve had since Eddie May. Not many managers could have galvanized our fan base after the red debacle.

He’s a CCFC legend in my eyes.
    We were back where we were more or less when he left (going by league positions) just with a more expensive team that earn higher wages, we still don’t have a second right back, we still lack pace in midfield and comfortable players on the ball, the defence is another year old, although a new 26 year old kid has slightly dropped the average age.

I am failing to see it.

Warnock tarnished his own legacy fella, he could have left on a relative high after the United game. He only HE decided to stay and let good players leave and not replace them. So they stay if he goes? Have we replaced them adequately? I don’t think we have, I don’t dislike the players tbh but they’re not setting the world alight for us.

He had a good base of a team coming here players like Manga Morrison Bennett Ralls Gunnarson etc. He didn’t come into a team like Malky did for example. He took us up, is he going to live off that in the minds of our fans until the end of time?

Neil Warnock didn't do an Eddie may and get us promoted from the old division four , he got us promoted from probably the most competitive and challenging league in European football , just a year after saving us from relegation

Andrews, ashurst , Durban , Lawrence , may , burrows , Jones , Trollope , Slade , hibbitt , Gould

You can say what you want but time will prove I’m right.

Thank you Neil Warnock
    It’s not that hard to get out of. 3 teams manage it every year.

We were back where we were more or less when he left (going by league positions) just with a more expensive team that earn higher wages, we still don’t have a second right back, we still lack pace in midfield and comfortable players on the ball, the defence is another year old, although a new 26 year old kid has slightly dropped the average age.

I am failing to see it.

Warnock tarnished his own legacy fella, he could have left on a relative high after the United game. He only HE decided to stay and let good players leave and not replace them. So they stay if he goes? Have we replaced them adequately? I don’t think we have, I don’t dislike the players tbh but they’re not setting the world alight for us.

He had a good base of a team coming here players like Manga Morrison Bennett Ralls Gunnarson etc. He didn’t come into a team like Malky did for example. He took us up, is he going to live off that in the minds of our fans until the end of time?
    I agree Malky was the better Manager for us, went up as Champions and a Wembley Final in his three years also out of Relegation places when sacked.The only thing he did wrong was to fall out with his boss big time where as Warnock knew how to handle him and get what he wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Be interested in seeing how many years he managed in the championship and how many promotions from it he got.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    I agree Malky was the better Manager for us, went up as Champions and a Wembley Final in his three years also out of Relegation places when sacked.The only thing he did wrong was to fall out with his boss big time where as Warnock knew how to handle him and get what he wanted!
    I think Warnock did a fair job, I just can’t get as excited about it as some others on this board do. I also don’t think he left us better than when he come here, he seems to have wasted money.

Wasted millions and millions of pounds on players he either didn't use or were not good enough.
    Some of the contracts he's dished out he's lucky Roger Cook isn't still about

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    and 21 fail

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    He’s right when he says he should have left at the end of last season and I’m still none the wiser as to why he didn’t. He implies he stayed as a favour to steady the ship, but I thought it was widely recognised that we had a squad well equipped for the championship and in fact our transfer market activity before and during last season seemed to factor in a plan B.

Had he retired after the win at old Trafford he would have been rightly regarded as a very good manager for this club. And while I think he still should be, this season will obviously bring that into question somewhat. What shouldn’t be forgotten is the way he did bring things together and get everyone behind the team again after the self-inflicted mess of the past few years. But he doesn’t half blow his own trumpet. I’d love to read his self-review for his annual appraisal
    You’re not alone ! I said more than once during the run-in last season that I felt he lost that “edge” in second half of last season as if matters off the field caught up with him and felt he should have gone out on a high winning at Old Trafford before things soured which they did this season.

Yes we won at BHA ( who by that stage I think were shot and were in a worse place than us as a team )but the Fulham away tactics and changes were difficult to understand for a team with an opportunity to save themselves from relegation and were almost like waving a white flag!

I hadn’t been impressed with the football this season which seemed even more attritional than ever ( who has ) but i f I bumped into Warnock , I would gladly shake his hand and thank him for the good times , giving us that promotion and for the first half of last season as it couldn’t have been easy dealing with the emotions surrounding firstly the Leicester game then the Emiliano Sala tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    You’re not alone ! I said more than once during the run-in last season that I felt he lost that “edge” in second half of last season as if matters off the field caught up with him and felt he should have gone out on a high winning at Old Trafford before things soured which they did this season.

Yes we won at BHA ( who by that stage I think were shot and were in a worse place than us as a team )but the Fulham away tactics and changes were difficult to understand for a team with an opportunity to save themselves from relegation and were almost like waving a white flag!

I hadn’t been impressed with the football this season which seemed even more attritional than ever ( who has ) but i f I bumped into Warnock , I would gladly shake his hand and thank him for the good times , giving us that promotion and for the first half of last season as it couldn’t have been easy dealing with the emotions surrounding firstly the Leicester game then the Emiliano Sala tragedy.
    Your last paragraph sums it up for me. As a pal of mine says... “they can’t take off you what you’ve already had”....

Other than that this entire thread is utterly pointless. It’s in the past... can’t change anything. Thanks for the good times Neil, shame about the not so good. On balance you were good for Cardiff City

I can see your point of view, but he did leave us in a much better position then where he found us.
    He should have left at the end of last season but he deserves huge respect for what he has done for us IMO.
    +1

So now he saved us from relegation? We were getting relegated at the end of the 2017 season in October 2016?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    and 21 fail
    6 teams manage it every year

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    So now he saved us from relegation? We were getting relegated at the end of the 2017 season in October 2016?
    It wasn’t looking good from what I remember

It's laughable that some fans world still have a statue erected for this man. He had one good season and he did bring the club together for which I give him credit. But he is useless in the transfer market, his tactics are dull and negative, he has no faith in youngsters and is a dinosaur of a man.

He is a character and will be missed when he's gone but I am so glad he is no longer part of my football club.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It wasn’t looking good from what I remember
    That was mainly due to Trollope being utterly out of his depth. Great coach, useless manager. Had a way of playing that didn't suit who we had. Any half reasonable manager would have sorted that out. It's a bit like saying Gus Hiddink saved Chelsea from relegation in 2015/16

I think people have forgotten how fractured the club was when Warnock took over. We are 100 percent in a better position in that respect.