+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Son goal

Son goal

I think Son is a top class player, one of the best in the premier League, but does anyone else think his goal on the weekend is a bit overrated?

Great goal obviously but he basically runs in a straight line and then shoots. Some people seem to be going well over the top about it

Re: Son goal

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think Son is a top class player, one of the best in the premier League, but does anyone else think his goal on the weekend is a bit overrated?

Great goal obviously but he basically runs in a straight line and then shoots. Some people seem to be going well over the top about it
    It was a great run, but there wasn't a whole lot of resistance. Still a fantastic goal though.

You don't see goals like that every week because the player gets chopped down before he gets to the box or as they like to label it these days, a defender "takes one for the team"

There aren't many players who would even try that let alone finish the way Son did.
    He is a top player and deserves all the accolades going IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    You don't see goals like that every week because the player gets chopped down before he gets to the box or as they like to label it these days, a defender "takes one for the team"

There aren't many players who would even try that let alone finish the way Son did.
    He is a top player and deserves all the accolades going IMHO.
    Basically poor defending by Burnley to not foul him on the half way line

Except for the shot at the end it reminded me of Josh Low.Josh would have skyed it over the Grange End.

Basically poor defending by Burnley to not foul him on the half way line
    Basically what I've alluded to.
    It's what you get for being "too honest". Either that or they tried but weren't good enough to foul him.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Except for the shot at the end it reminded me of Josh Low.Josh would have skyed it over the Grange End.
    slight difference in class Son and Low.
    That's why It was such a special goal. The composure to slot it after all the exertion was different class.

Imagine Tomlin trying something like that. My guess is he'd have fallen over by the time he got to the edge of the area!

(Sorry Lee, your finish on Saturday was almost as good and we were probably more elated than the Spurs fans considering its importance within the context of the game )

Generally under whelmed by these solo goals. They get hailed so well but its usually player running fast and not being tackled rather than beating players.

Run for that long, that fast, past that many players and have the composure to finish. It’s a top top goal imo he just makes it look easy.

Anyone on here at our FA cup replay at Gloucester in the late 80’s?
    Ray Daniel ran from our area beating about 8 Gloucester players, rounded the keeper, and put it wide!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Run for that long, that fast, past that many players and have the composure to finish. It’s a top top goal imo he just makes it look easy.
    If Messi did it we'd be on page 20 already

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    If Messi did it we'd be on page 20 already
    Flint could have done likewise against Barnsley!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Ray Daniel ran from our area beating about 8 Gloucester players, rounded the keeper, and put it wide!!!!
    I was there. Who did we end up playing in the 3rd round?

Ray Daniel was the first player whose name I knew. I wrote to the club to ask for an autograph and he sent me a 2-page handwritten letter, saying how much he enjoyed playing for us etc etc. What a good thing to do. I've no idea if he was any good but I'll always think he was a top guy because of that.

Anyway, that Son goal. Reminded me of this one - skip to 1 minute and for your own sanity put it on mute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Ase_iHsSE

Son is an absolutely brilliant player. I've seen him live a few times, his balance and control at speed is a different level.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Ray Daniel was the first player whose name I knew. I wrote to the club to ask for an autograph and he sent me a 2-page handwritten letter, saying how much he enjoyed playing for us etc etc. What a good thing to do. I've no idea if he was any good but I'll always think he was a top guy because of that.

Anyway, that Son goal. Reminded me of this one - skip to 1 minute and for your own sanity put it on mute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Ase_iHsSE

Son is an absolutely brilliant player. I've seen him live a few times, his balance and control at speed is a different level.
    Ah Mark Delaney. What a right back he was.
    Career cut short through injury.

The goal after Delaney's in that clip was even better, though the game was noticeably slower in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Ah Mark Delaney. What a right back he was.
    Career cut short through injury.

The goal after Delaney's in that clip was even better, though the game was noticeably slower in those days.
    The Steve Mardenborough goal at 39 secs is a bit good too. I'm not sure there is a club in Wales that he hasn't played for.

Asian Messi. One of my favourite players. Top top talent.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I was there. Who did we end up playing in the 3rd round?
    Couldn’t answer that without looking it up.off the top of my head, was it Man City?

If Son's goal was as ordinary as some on here are trying to make it out to be, why don't we see ones like it every week?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If Son's goal was as ordinary as some on here are trying to make it out to be, why don't we see ones like it every week?
    I'm not saying it's not a really good goal, but some people (more so twitter than here) seem to be making out it's the goal of the season.
    Big fan of Son, and I think he doesn't get the plaudits he deserves often, but for me that goal was almost as much about a collective lack of responsibility from the Burnley players.

Speaking of overrated goals (although I don't think Son's was) - this raised its head again on my twitter today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ8XGUgvoAM

Salah's Puskas Award winning goal, what an absolute farce. Not even the best goal in the Premier League that year, let alone the fact that it beat Bale's Champion's League winning overhead kick

I'm not saying it's not a really good goal, but some people (more so twitter than here) seem to be making out it's the goal of the season.
    Big fan of Son, and I think he doesn't get the plaudits he deserves often, but for me that goal was almost as much about a collective lack of responsibility from the Burnley players.
    For me it is a contender for goal of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    For me it is a contender for goal of the season.
    Agree. As said above, particularly for the calm finish having run all that way.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Speaking of overrated goals (although I don't think Son's was) - this raised its head again on my twitter today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ8XGUgvoAM

Salah's Puskas Award winning goal, what an absolute farce. Not even the best goal in the Premier League that year, let alone the fact that it beat Bale's Champion's League winning overhead kick
    Plus he was doing that cut in on his left foot from the right side all season. He seemed to try it at least once in every game that I saw.

Couldn’t answer that without looking it up.off the top of my head, was it Man City?
    I think Man City was 1993 because I already lived over here. Looked up 1989 and it was QPR. Drew 0-0 at home lost 2-0 away. Was that the year the gate receipts were stolen?