+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If was HARRIS I wouldn’t be talking about new full backs.

If was HARRIS I wouldn’t be talking about new full backs.

I am surprised that he has.
    His immediate job was to give the squad a lift and he appears to have done that.
    So why say now that he needs new full backs, even if we do.
    It could possibly demoralise some of the senior players in the squad and have a negative impact.

Re: If was HARRIS I wouldn’t be talking about new full backs.

Where’s he said it?

His point is obvious in that we need cover in these positions. Peltier's competition is a permanently crocked Richards + an untried Coxe. Bennett's competition is a crocked Cunningham + an untried Brown.

Of course we need full backs.

Just read it on BBC app.

Not sure what you’re getting at. We do need cover.

I’m sure 32 year old millionaire Lee Peltier is a shell of the man he was yesterday.

I'd be handing in a transfer request tomorrow morning if I was Cameron Coxe.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    His point is obvious in that we need cover in these positions. Peltier's competition is a permanently crocked Richards + an untried Coxe. Bennett's competition is a crocked Cunningham + an untried Brown.

Of course we need full backs.
    Day 1 under Harris: positive noises about the academy and brining through younger players
    Last week under Harris: the board talking about Cat 1 academy and bringing through younger (talented, Welsh) players
    Today: Harris wants new full-backs because our cover is a young, (reportedly) talented RB?

We may need cover at LB, Brown as I understand is more of a CB but if Richards can play both sides then arguably we don't, but we've got a player who was reportedly looked at by Man City over the summer as third choice RB. You want me to believe the club is interested in developing (talented, Welsh) footballers? Don't buy players to stand in their way in the pecking order.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    His immediate job was to give the squad a lift and he appears to have done that.
    It could possibly demoralise some of the senior players in the squad and have a negative impact.
    Neil Harris should not say that he needs players in any position as he might upset players already in that position. Are you really saying that?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Maybe Cameron isnt ready or ever will be . The Championship is a highly competitive league.

I’d rather see coxe and brown get game time in league 1 before playing for us.

All depends what Harris has in mind for me. A loanee left back from the Premier League that should be good enough to put Bennett under the pressure he needs to be put under or someone who keeps the average age of our back four close to thirty and provides "depth" signed permanently are two entirely different things to my mind.

I think Harris deserves a bit more time before he starts getting accused of ignoring our Academy when it comes to first team selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    All depends what Harris has in mind for me.
    If he's considering you at full back then we are in trouble

Of course we need cover at full back, just as we need cover in every other position.
    I wouldn't single out either Bennett or Peltier for our defending which lets face it hasn't been watertight, but the two mentioned do need competition for places.

I do expect to see a youngster or two breaking through this season especially if, many would say when, we look like a play off place is beyond our reach.
    Agree its a bit early to be judging the manager on a few words, he is more than likely keeping everyone on their toes.

Could be mind games. Say that to put a fire up our full backs arses while he concentrates on other targets.

No future for Armand Traore then - who I thought was signed to give competition to Bennett whilst Cunningham was out of the picture?

He is there in most of the recent training videos, but not in the manager's thinking?

I also get the impression Harris is not convinced by Ciaron Brown as LB cover, as Warnock suggested after Brown's NI debut.

Jazz is head of the queue if he stays fit. Big IF.

Didn’t we give Harris a years extension in the summer ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Didn’t we give Harris a years extension in the summer ?
    Jazz Richards got a one year contract extension to 2020. His previous deal expired in the summer.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...o-out-16865934

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    I’m sure 32 year old millionaire Lee Peltier is a shell of the man he was yesterday.
    It's funny how many people think that having money makes you immune to having normal human feelings, like it's a buyout. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that Lee Peltier might occasionally worry about things despite the fact that he's paid well. He's a professional football player, he wants to play football and if another fullback came in to take his place I have no doubt that that would bother him and looking at his bank account wouldn't magically fix everything.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Our full backs are crap, best bit of news to come out of the club for ages

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I’d rather see coxe and brown get game time in league 1 before playing for us.

I agree.

Not too sure calling out NE on his kicking in public helps either, think this may well come back to bite him.

I like Peltier. A reliable and consistent right back. If the figures are to believed, it was great business by the club to get him for £300k and sell Brayford to Sheff Utd for £2m. He's one of our most durable players, rarely going down with injury and always seems to be fit. However, he's 34 next birthday and is a proper defender, rather than a wing-back. I'd love to see Cameron Coxe given a run in the team, otherwise what's the point of keeping him in the wings?

Bennett has struggled this season. I thought he had a shocker on Saturday. Again a great bit of business as a free transfer but I'd focus attention on a new left-back (or Cunningham back from loan) and give Coxe more opportunities on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    No future for Armand Traore then - who I thought was signed to give competition to Bennett whilst Cunningham was out of the picture?

He is there in most of the recent training videos, but not in the manager's thinking?

I also get the impression Harris is not convinced by Ciaron Brown as LB cover, as Warnock suggested after Brown's NI debut.

Jazz is head of the queue if he stays fit. Big IF.
    Seems as if Jazz has to prove a lot too, he speaks well of him but is mindful of his injury record so maybe him and traore are off if we get cover. Sounds like Cunningham is coming back new year too

Also, to whoever mentioned Coxe, where does it say he won’t be given a chance?

I can only ascertain despite all the talk that Coxe is not good enough otherwise he surely would have been used by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Why? He's 21 years old and hasn't played senior football in his life, why do you think he's the answer at right back?

He needs a loan out somewhere so we can get an idea of how good he is and whether he could replace Peltier. Throwing him in now when we're trying to establish ourselves as a play-off contender would be naive and frankly, stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Why? He's 21 years old and hasn't played senior football in his life, why do you think he's the answer at right back?

He needs a loan out somewhere so we can get an idea of how good he is and whether he could replace Peltier. Throwing him in now when we're trying to establish ourselves as a play-off contender would be naive and frankly, stupid.
    Sometimes I think I must have imagined us giving a first team debut to a seventeen year old Chris Gunter at right back when we were top of the Championship or that we played an eighteen year old Joe Ralls in a League Cup Semi Final or that the team which won the title in 12/13 quite often had a nineteen year old Ralls and/or Nugent in it.

I don't know whether Coxe would prove himself good enough for our first team if he was selected tomorrow, but I'm baffled by this attitude which seems to have become commonplace in recent years that giving a 21 year old youth product a league debut is too much of a risk.