+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wettest/Coldest you've Ever Been At The Football

Re: The Wettest/Coldest you've Ever Been At The Football

Quote Originally Posted by ivandobsky View Post
    Chelsea away early 80's and Chesterfield away early 00's
    remember Chelsea away 1976. Torrential rain for 140 miles, 90 minutes in ground, and 140 miles back. Went into shed end by mistake so kept dry - didn't have any trouble either..

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Think it was a Bristol City home game eons ago. It tipped down all day but suddenly became Biblical along Ninian Park Road post game as we took refuge in a long gone pub called The Craddock. It had a roaring open fire which we took turns standing as close to it front and back without being singed. I can still recall the steam appearing in my mind's eye.
    the favourite watering hole of City players in the 1920's apparently..

Coldest - Reading away midweek in the cup in the mid 90s at the old Elm Park.

Open terracing behind the goal.

And we won! (pens I think)

(Without sounding like and old man though....the older you are the more that you feel the cold though - deffo)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Coldest - Reading away midweek in the cup in the mid 90s at the old Elm Park.

Open terracing behind the goal.

And we won! (pens I think)

(Without sounding like and old man though....the older you are the more that you feel the cold though - deffo)
    Memory playing tricks with you. We lost on penalties after a 1-1 draw

Coldest for me the FA Cup replay at Crewe, January 2001. Way below freezing, the game was played on an ice-covered pitch, players falling over, a pitch invasion, and we lost...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...up/1120926.stm

Great days!

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    Coldest for me the FA Cup replay at Crewe, January 2001. Way below freezing, the game was played on an ice-covered pitch, players falling over, a pitch invasion, and we lost...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...up/1120926.stm

Great days!
    That was indeed bloody cold. But for me the coldest was away at wigan at their old ground roughly 1996 I think. We lost and stood in almost horizontal gale force sleet. Luckily I only had to go back to macclesfield but pity people stuck on a long trek back to Cardiff.

Wettest was away at Chesterfield. Can't remember the year but we were 2 up after a thunder shot and drew 2-2. I had a mate who worked there and he let me in the covered home end. When we scored about 10 other Cardiff fans cheered. Cue a parting of the crowd to reveal who were city fans.

Wettest - the Birmingham game a few weeks ago.

Coldest - an obscure one this, but it was a midweek Welsh Cup tie at Ebbw Vale in the mid-Nineties. City won a terrible game 1-0 with a very late Darren Adams goal (or at least I think it was a Darren Adams goal). By that time, it was so cold that me and my mate had just about lost the feeling in our feet. We had to stagger out of the ground holding each other up and sit in the car for ages afterwards before he was able to drive. It was insanely cold.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by tricks View Post
    Wettest - this question comes up every now and again. The correct answer is the same as always.

Chesterfield away.
    this

one year, about 1999 or 2000, it was raining upwards it was so bad. I couldn't have been wetter if I was swimming in the sea.

Can't remember the wettest...but the coldest HAS to be Cardiff City v Offenbach Kickers February 1962 to mark the installation of floodlights. About 2,500 there if I remember....bloody freezing on the bob bank....

CARDIFF-CITY-v-OFFENBACH-KICKERS-FC-FEBRUARY-1962.jpg

I'll second the mk Dons away game probably 2003. I remember ot was the day England won the bloody rugby world cup and we got soaked in one of those temporary golf stands in that shitty hockey stadium

The dump that was Bloomfield rd 1989 ish, half derelict, no bouncers would let us into any pubs after either....

Watford kast year was pretty bad....or am I just getting old!?

Wales v Netherlands at the CC Stadium as that chump commentator called it on the weekend.

My boy forgot his coat so I gave him mine. I could have strangled him.

Went to a game in France a good few years ago, the scoreboard was showing a temperature of -11. The game was so poor that the biggest cheer of the game was when it clicked onto -12

I can't remember. Everything's been surpassed by memories of NFL games. Over 3 hours in the stadium. The misery is compounded exponentially.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Memory playing tricks with you. We lost on penalties after a 1-1 draw
    God, it must have been cold!

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Can't remember the wettest...but the coldest HAS to be Cardiff City v Offenbach Kickers February 1962 to mark the installation of floodlights. About 2,500 there if I remember....bloody freezing on the bob bank....

Nice photo.

What a great memory - a game to mark the erecting of floodlights! Fantastic.

My Dad always told me (so I just believed him of course) that we had the best/tallest/brightest - I can't remember which - floodlights in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post

Nice photo.

My Dad always told me (so I just believed him of course) that we had the best/tallest/brightest - I can't remember which - floodlights in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Nice photo.

If your dad said so then he was right! One thing is for sure, they were a sight to behold as you walked towards the ground on a cold dark night. They made a fantastic noise when they were powered up as well, it was like a giant was awakening!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Wettest - the Birmingham game a few weeks ago.

Coldest - an obscure one this, but it was a midweek Welsh Cup tie at Ebbw Vale in the mid-Nineties. City won a terrible game 1-0 with a very late Darren Adams goal (or at least I think it was a Darren Adams goal). By that time, it was so cold that me and my mate had just about lost the feeling in our feet. We had to stagger out of the ground holding each other up and sit in the car for ages afterwards before he was able to drive. It was insanely cold.
    It's cold up here in the summer

Playing for Bridgend Street against Cwm Welfare ? (I think it was them), the pitch was high up on a sort of plateau. During the game there was the most freezing cold, horrendous hailstorm, every player stopped and sort of curled up in a sort of standing up ball. Nobody gave a shite about the ball, the storm passed after a minute or so and the game just resumed as if someone switched us all back on again. A few of us oldies still remember it fondly

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Playing for Bridgend Street against Cwm Welfare ? (I think it was them), the pitch was high up on a sort of plateau. During the game there was the most freezing cold, horrendous hailstorm, every player stopped and sort of curled up in a sort of standing up ball. Nobody gave a shite about the ball, the storm passed after a minute or so and the game just resumed as if someone switched us all back on again. A few of us oldies still remember it fondly
    Standard weather up there. I used to work with a lad from Fochriw, he used to wear T shirts all day on site during the winter, just didn't feel the cold down here.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Wettest

Southampton. 2-1 1st game of season on the Bob Bank terrace. It was August ffs!
    Bristol Rovers away at Twerton Park Bath on open terrace mid-day kick off. Lost 2-1 think Blake scored.
    Fulham away in the 80s. Arrived late just missed us going 2-0 up. We ended up 4-2 down and got drenched.

Coldest.

Sheff Utd Lost 3-0 away midweek in the late 70s. Went to school in the morning but mate persuaded me to bunk off the afternoon on supporter's coach wearing only shirt and school trousers as I dumped my blazer!

Moscow Wales play off game in November
    That Bristol Rovers game in the mid 90s. Early kick off I think. Soaked through to our pants and socks. Shit performance and to top it all off an announcement on the tannoy for all of us Welsh fans who had travelled by train, not to worry, there was a special train laid onto take us direct from Bristol Parkway to CardiffCentral and we will be home in time for the rugby!!!

At least it lightened the mood. Chants of “You can stick your ****ing rugby up your arse” at the ground and when departing the train back at Central.

The Southampton game was first home game of the season I think. They wouldn’t allow umbrellas on the lower bob, the only area not covered. . They were selling rain ponchos ffs

Quote Originally Posted by ivandobsky View Post
    Chelsea away early 80's and Chesterfield away early 00's
    Chelsea definitely the wettest for me. I managed to sneak into the stand at Chesterfield, we scored two fantastic goals that day but I guess if you were standing on the terrace that's not what you remember about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I'll second the mk Dons away game probably 2003. I remember ot was the day England won the bloody rugby world cup and we got soaked in one of those temporary golf stands in that shitty hockey stadium
    Seconded, it was ridiculous that day. Still drying off now.