+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Baku for first Wales game

Baku for first Wales game

Anybody got any advice on this?

Even a London-Baku has up to two changes.

Any help from somebody who has been before or has found the simplest way this time around would be much appreciated.

If we could avoid the overnight flight or minimise that as much as possible all the better.

Re: Baku for first Wales game

Emirates via Dubai

There are two main routes it seems. Via Istanbul or via Kiev. The Kiev flights look a lot worse time wise.

We're going via Istanbul, fly out midday on the Thursday. Land in Istanbul about 4pm, there for the night. Fly at about 11am the next day to Baku, arriving at 3pm. I'd rather just get there but on the flip side we get a night in Istanbul and should be fairly refreshed come arriving in Baku.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Emirates via Dubai
    That's the route I booked but with a stopover from 7am to 7pm!
    It's a trade-off: price v inconvenience - and I wouldn't risk a combination of different airlines unless they are affiliated. If you miss a connecting flight with an unaffiliated airline you could be in big doo-doo.

Megabus

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Megabus
    We have a winner.

Only takes up to a week and a half too.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    We have a winner.

Only takes up to a week and a half too.
    You've made a bit of a fool of yourself here mate, you can do it in a little over 5 days

Screenshot 2019-12-11 at 12.27.08.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    You've made a bit of a fool of yourself here mate, you can do it in a little over 5 days

Well you've gone and shown me right up there.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post

Using the TGV for a stretch and not the bus.......

International

There is a direct flight London -Baku - London 3 or 4 times a week. It leaves from Terminal 4.

www.azal.az

There is a booking office in UK. (I think it is in glasgow.)

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    There is a direct flight London -Baku - London 3 or 4 times a week. It leaves from Terminal 4.

www.azal.az

There is a booking office in UK. (I think it is in glasgow.)
    Very pricey for the dates concerned though! $1,500 return

Qatar Cardiff to Baku was about £600 I think. Not too bad for the quality of airline and distance.

We did Baku last month and went via Kiev (from Manchester), one stopover of around 5-6 hours both ways but saved a fair bit, think our return flights were £300 each. Me and one of the other lads who did it are doing just the Swiss game, and a similar route to those mentioned already. Doing Stansted to Istanbul overnight Thursday, then four hours in Istanbul, then onto Baku landing at 14:20. Leave Baku on Monday morning at 07:45 and land at Stansted 17:40 or thereabouts, slightly more at £380 return but not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Thornton View Post
    We did Baku last month and went via Kiev (from Manchester), one stopover of around 5-6 hours both ways but saved a fair bit, think our return flights were £300 each. Me and one of the other lads who did it are doing just the Swiss game, and a similar route to those mentioned already. Doing Stansted to Istanbul overnight Thursday, then four hours in Istanbul, then onto Baku landing at 14:20. Leave Baku on Monday morning at 07:45 and land at Stansted 17:40 or thereabouts, slightly more at £380 return but not bad.
    Are you sure the Stansted to Istanbul - Istanbul to Baku is four hours in Istanbul?

Just checked and it is nearer ten hours in Istanbul.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Are you sure the Stansted to Istanbul - Istanbul to Baku is four hours in Istanbul?

Just checked and it is nearer ten hours in Istanbul.
    I'm on same flight out. Details below

STN London United Kingdom
    London Stansted
    00:05
    Thursday, Jun 11, 2020

SAW Istanbul Turkey
    Sabiha Gökçen International
    05:55
    Thursday, Jun 11, 2020

Airline: Pegasus

SAW Istanbul Turkey
    Sabiha Gökçen International
    10:35
    Thursday, Jun 11, 2020

GYD Baku Azerbaijan
    Heydar Aliyev International
    14:20
    Thursday, Jun 11, 2020

Airline: Buta Airways

You can still get a flight from Kiev to Baku with Buta (who are the low cost arm of Azal Air) on 10th June for less than £100 with a hold bag. It leaves at 12.30. Problem is getting to Kiev to connect that flight. One possibility some friends were pondering was via LViv in the Ukraine. Buta announced that they had opened a twice weekly flight on Monday/Thursday starting in December but I can only see prices announced until the end of March. Ryanair/Wizz fly there direct on the 10th for about £60 so might be worth contacting Buta to see if a connection works and/or when fares are released.

Good luck. Baku's a good place to visit and cheap as chips (Euro 2020 mark-ups not withstanding) when you get there.

My son and his mate are going Heathrow ..Frankfurt...Baku with Lufthansa.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    You can still get a flight from Kiev to Baku with Buta (who are the low cost arm of Azal Air) on 10th June for less than £100 with a hold bag. It leaves at 12.30. Problem is getting to Kiev to connect that flight. One possibility some friends were pondering was via LViv in the Ukraine. Buta announced that they had opened a twice weekly flight on Monday/Thursday starting in December but I can only see prices announced until the end of March. Ryanair/Wizz fly there direct on the 10th for about £60 so might be worth contacting Buta to see if a connection works and/or when fares are released.

Good luck. Baku's a good place to visit and cheap as chips (Euro 2020 mark-ups not withstanding) when you get there.
    Just to make clear they are opening a Lviv to Baku route. Ryanair Wizz is UK to Lviv

Look at a cheap flight to Europe, then fly to Baku from there ...e.g. Berlin was £18 from Bristol when we booked 2 weeks ago.

If you live close to Cardiff airport, as I do. Then Qatar via Doha. That is what I am doing. Cost 800 quid, expensive I know, but IMO it is Value For Money. Last game in Baku, I flew out direct with AZL from Heathrow and flew back to Cardiff with Qatar.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    My son and his mate are going Heathrow ..Frankfurt...Baku with Lufthansa.
    I was close to booking the same til I realised the return flights are stupid o clock with Lufthansa
    In the end decided on Emirates via Dubai 2 1/2 hrs stop over going 8 hrs stop over on way back