+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff West

Cardiff West

What's the deal with this constituency.

Is it safe Labour? I see actor Boyd Clack representing Plaid.

Do I need to tactical vote or is it already a done deal

Re: Cardiff West

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

I wonder if Boyd Clack has High Hopes

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

It went Tory in their landslide of 1983, but, apart from that, it's always been Labour as far as I know. Neil McEvoy lives in the constituency and Plaid have been fairly strong there in recent elections, but I would have thought it would be pretty safe Labour - especially as Cardiff voted remain in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It went Tory in their landslide of 1983, but, apart from that, it's always been Labour as far as I know. Neil McEvoy lives in the constituency and Plaid have been fairly strong there in recent elections, but I would have thought it would be pretty safe Labour - especially as Cardiff voted remain in 2016.
    Same in the remain area of Cardiff North seat.

I've had loads of Labour leaflets , one Liberal one Plaid , nothing from the Tories .

Last election it saw Boris and JC in the areas and other big hitters , giving speeches etc ,not this time ,unless I missed it ?.

Its as if this is all down to Brexit , the seat is remain it also has a high density of public sector workers,maybe that will reflect on the vote,it was always deemed a marginal ??

Safe Labour seat, Kevin Brennan has been MP since 2001 and has a majority of 12,551. Only gone Tory once and that was down to the incumbent Labour MP (George Thomas) stepping down and Thatcher's landslide, it went back to Labour at the next election. Its fairly close between Labour and Plaid in the assembly but not at all in Westminster

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

I've had loads of Labour leaflets , one Liberal one Plaid , nothing from the Tories .

Last election it saw Boris and JC in the areas and other big hitters , giving speeches etc ,not this time ,unless I missed it ?.

Its as if this is all down to Brexit , the seat is remain it also has a high density of public sector workers,maybe that will reflect on the vote,it was always deemed a marginal ??
    Cardiff North and Cardiff West aren't really that similar. Cardiff North is a lot more affluent than Cardiff West and is historically a Tory seat, although it went Labour at the last election I think its projected to go Conservative this time around

I've had leaflets from the Tories And the rest even the Brexit Party.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Safe Labour seat, Kevin Brennan has been MP since 2001 and has a majority of 12,551. Only gone Tory once and that was down to the incumbent Labour MP (George Thomas) stepping down and Thatcher's landslide, it went back to Labour at the next election. Its fairly close between Labour and Plaid in the assembly but not at all in Westminster
    Kevin was a teacher at Radyr (history I think) back in the 90s.

Vote labour moggis , don't give them a sniff

When I worked in housing in Cardiff in the early nineties Kevin Brennan was the city councillor who phoned up our office to say we were being shut down , decent bloke though , spoke to all of us in person

I've had paper flyers from the Tories, Labour and the Brexit party, I'm reporting all three parties to Greta for pointless waste.

Cardiff North and Cardiff West aren't really that similar. Cardiff North is a lot more affluent than Cardiff West and is historically a Tory seat, although it went Labour at the last election I think its projected to go Conservative this time around
    Nah it will be Labour Anna is liked and appeals Mo Ali may not tick the boxes .

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I've had paper flyers from the Tories, Labour and the Brexit party, I'm reporting all three parties to Greta for pointless waste.
    Jeepers dont she is depressed enough

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Vote labour moggis , don't give them a sniff

When I worked in housing in Cardiff in the early nineties Kevin Brennan was the city councillor who phoned up our office to say we were being shut down , decent bloke though , spoke to all of us in person
    I met Kevin a few times he is an okay MP

If betting markets are a guide then Labour will win Cardiff West and North with ease. Best value on a Labour victory in West is 1-7 and it's 1-4 in North. A Tory win in West can be had at 11-2, North is offered at 4-1. The tightest race in South Wales is the Bridgend constituency (Labour 8-11, Tory 11-10).

I met Kevin a few times he is an okay MP
    I know nothing about him other than he's a Labour MP for a Cardiff seat. I concluded long ago that all MPs of every gender and political persuasion were in it for themselves above everything else. Second in their estimation is their family, friends, mistresses, etc, who they employ as their staff who are also gorging on the same public teat.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I know nothing about him other than he's a Labour MP for a Cardiff seat. I concluded long ago that all MPs of every gender and political persuasion were in it for themselves above everything else. Second in their estimation is their family, friends, mistresses, etc, who they employ as their staff who are also gorging on the same public teat.
    Ive never met a single sole on earth who wasn't in it for themselves in whatever they do.

There must be some people out there whose primary motivation for performing a job isn't the amount of folding stuff they get in return.

There must be some people out there whose primary motivation for performing a job isn't the amount of folding stuff they get in return.
    You've never met anyone who has taken a pay cut? You must move in small circles.

Now that you've asked, I don't know of anyone who has taken a pay cut. There's plenty I know who've stayed in situ following a pay freeze or rise below the prevailing rate of inflation which equalled an indirect pay cut.

Now that you've asked, I don't know of anyone who has taken a pay cut. There's plenty I know who've stayed in situ following a pay freeze or rise below the prevailing rate of inflation which equalled an indirect pay cut.
    Which is not the same thing at all.

I'm a little surprised to hear that from someone who seems so worldly.

I respectfully disagree with your first line. There's legions of public sector employees who went years and years with no or paltry pay rises who effectively had their pay cut in real terms throughout that period.

I respectfully disagree with your first line. There's legions of public sector employees who went years and years with no or paltry pay rises who effectively had their pay cut in real terms throughout that period.
    So why did you say "I don't know anyone who has taken a pay cut", if you're counting that as a pay cut?

Surprisingly I don’t think so. Quite an old population too. North and west stay red.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Kevin was a teacher at Radyr (history I think) back in the 90s.

A decent teacher too

Is Cardiff North and West becoming a version of the London left zone model ?