+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Boris The Sh*thouse

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Boris The Sh*thouse

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Yes.

I can only see this Brexit debacle going tits up even further under another Tory government amongst other things.

I am very nervous about the NHS being in Tory hands too and have decided to vote for Labour for only the second time in my life. The last was 2017 and previously I've voted for LibDems.
    Im old enough to remember the last time a left wing labour government was in charge. They overspent big time and in 1975 we had to go cap in hand to the IMF for a bailout. The conditions imposed made the current austerity look like a treat. There were cuts everywhere, roads not gritted, bins not emptied, some difficulty in even arranging funerals. Then the miners went on strike and we ended up with a infamous 'three day week' with power cuts and general misery to preserve coal.
    I never want to see that sort of thing again in a good country like ours....but it looks as if we might be heading that way.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Im old enough to remember the last time a left wing labour government was in charge. They overspent big time and in 1975 we had to go cap in hand to the IMF for a bailout. The conditions imposed made the current austerity look like a treat. There were cuts everywhere, roads not gritted, bins not emptied, some difficulty in even arranging funerals. Then the miners went on strike and we ended up with a infamous 'three day week' with power cuts and general misery to preserve coal.
    I never want to see that sort of thing again in a good country like ours....but it looks as if we might be heading that way.
    I’ll forever remember my old man moaning about paying 70/80 % tax around that time. He was a steel engineer in the docks nothing fancy. Said he would never ever vote labour again, and he didn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I’ll forever remember my old man moaning about paying 70/80 % tax around that time. He was a steel engineer in the docks nothing fancy. Said he would never ever vote labour again, and he didn’t.
    Honestly they were horrible times, and I think the interests rates were something like 15-17%

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    You what?

The top rates were very high back then, but I'm certain they were nowhere near that high for people on the average wage for that time.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You what?
    The top rates were very high back then, but I'm certain they were nowhere near that high for people on the average wage for that time.
    He never said his dad was on average wage, he said he was a docker. Remember that was a nationalised industry and every time they wanted more money they went on strike until the government gave in to them. Once the rail water gas etc are re-nationalised it will be just like before, overmanned with no incentive to do better and if like in the south West this month, the rail men go on strike then they will be joined by the rest of the rail men all over the country, and everything will grind to a halt until the government gives in and gives them more money and we'll be back where we started and a 3 day week.

The principle of nationalisation is fantastic but sadly the reality is the many frequently held to ransom by the few!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    He never said his dad was on average wage, he said he was a docker. Remember that was a nationalised industry and every time they wanted more money they went on strike until the government gave in to them. Once the rail water gas etc are re-nationalised it will be just like before, overmanned with no incentive to do better and if like in the south West this month, the rail men go on strike then they will be joined by the rest of the rail men all over the country, and everything will grind to a halt until the government gives in and gives them more money and we'll be back where we started and a 3 day week.

The principle of nationalisation is fantastic but sadly the reality is the many frequently held to ransom by the few!
    So why is nationalisation far from a flop in other countries? How come nationalised rail operators run trains in this country?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    So why is nationalisation far from a flop in other countries? How come nationalised rail operators run trains in this country?
    Perhaps the people operating nationalised industries in other countries have national pride or pride in their work more than ours. I don't know but I do know that our nationalised industries were badly run and the people running them, from sevior management down ahd no insentive to improve.
    Actually the railways are all private. They did renationalise one, the eastern region I think, but have since re privatised it again.

There's no way dockers were on the sort of wages that would put them on top rate tax in the 70s.

Taken from an article in the Daily Telegraph;-

"In 1974 the top rate of tax was raised to 83pc by the then Chancellor Dennis Healey, as part of a tax regime which he famously said would "make the pips squeak", in desperate bid to boost the failing economy.

Over the period which lasted from 1974 to 1979, when Margaret Thatcher's Conservatives took power, there was also an investment income tax surcharge of 15pc which pushed the top rate up to 98pc for some taxpayers.

When the 83pc rate was introduced just 46,000 people were eligible to pay it as the minimum earnings threshold was £20,000, equivalent to £191,000 in today's money.

Back then a salary of around £8,000 a year would be enough to put someone in the top 1pc of earners. "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...raph-analysis/

Agree with that. The 3 day week brought about by miners strikes ended when they got a 35% pay rise. A year or two later they got the same again. The few holding the many to ransom

3 day week was under Heath and the Tory party, power cuts etc, 1973. Heath lost election and Wilson/Callaghan back in charge TIL ‘79 and Maggie Thatcher the milk snatcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    3 day week was under Heath and the Tory party, power cuts etc, 1973. Heath lost election and Wilson/Callaghan back in charge TIL ‘79 and Maggie Thatcher the milk snatcher.
    Your right about that...it was under the Tory government in about '74and was a result of the miners strikes that caused a shortage of coal, which then generated most of our power.
    It was the Winter of Discontent I was thinking of that took place in 1978 ( I think) under Callghan's Labour government. It caused the collapse of the government. Everyone seemed to be on strike including the firemen and the army took over their duties.

Both were a disaster for Joe Public and I never want to see the UK going through things like that again

Im old enough to remember......
    Retired of Lisvane, backing Boris and Brexit all the way.

I'm alright, Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Retired of Lisvane, backing Boris and Brexit all the way.

I'm alright, Jack.
    Not so Dave...You know me as does Tracey, Paul etc and you know I'm not I'm all right Jack type.

As for politics, yes I'm for Brexit as is the majority of those who voted in the referendum, lets just get on with it

Not so Dave...You know me as does Tracey, Paul etc and you know I'm not I'm all right Jack type.

As for politics, yes I'm for Brexit as is the majority of those who didn’t know what they were voting for in the referendum, but did it anyway, lets just get on with it
    Fixed that for you