+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gabalfa Flyover-Right of Way?

Gabalfa Flyover-Right of Way?

At the bottom as you head away from the city, just before the Wetherspoons. Who has right of way, vehicles who have entered via the roundabout who are in the left hand lane but want to get over into the right hand land which takes you to birchgrove, Llanishen or do those who are coming off the flyover and want to get left in order to drive up Manor way-North rd etc ?

Re: Gabalfa Flyover-Right of Way?

It’s everyman for himself. The craziest intersection I’ve seen.

There are shortcuts to be had

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    As i thought, crazy system. I've always just looked for a gap and gone for it. The biggest issue is people coming off the flyover who want to go into the left hand lanes and they're driving to fast.

For me, the only right of way is for drivers in their marked lanes.
    If they want to change lanes, they should indicate, check there is a gap and only then change lane(s). During busy times, this might involve coming to a stop and waiting for a gap (as sometimes you may have to when joining a main carriageway from a slip road - here again traffic in the marked lane has priority).
    The problem is that drivers may need to cross two lanes - those coming over the flyover and wanting the Whitchurch turnoff; and even worse if the manoeuvre needs to carried out in such a short distance travelling from the roundabout and wanting to cross to Caerphilly Road.
    From experience, approaching this intersection is a nightmare if the driver has a bad neck/back and wants to cross two lanes.

The bus stop right at the bottom of Merthyr Road is in a nightmare spot. Invariably buses have to pull out there across 2 lanes in the few yards before the interchange

It’s probably 20 years since I used the Gabalfa flyover but it sounds like it’s still the same as it always was 🤣.

Is the Wetherspoons pub referenced what used to be The Cross Inn? My first job out of uni was with Bass Brewers on Maes-y-Coed Rd and the pool league team I was in used to play our home games there.

Funnily enough I came through there earlier via the flyover and wanted to get into the left lanes. I was in a lorry so couldn't really see what was by the side of me to my left, there were cars cutting in from the left to go right, it was chaos
    I'm guessing it's easier/safer to join the slip road before the flyover and go through the roundabout which brings you out in the left lanes the other side of the flyover?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    It’s probably 20 years since I used the Gabalfa flyover but it sounds like it’s still the same as it always was ��.

Is the Wetherspoons pub referenced what used to be The Cross Inn? My first job out of uni was with Bass Brewers on Maes-y-Coed Rd and the pool league team I was in used to play our home games there.
    Yup, it's called the Aneurin Bevan now. The three horse shoes is still going (Opposite) as is The New Inn and The Birchgrove on the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Funnily enough I came through there earlier via the flyover and wanted to get into the left lanes. I was in a lorry so couldn't really see what was by the side of me to my left, there were cars cutting in from the left to go right, it was chaos
    I'm guessing it's easier/safer to join the slip road before the flyover and go through the roundabout which brings you out in the left lanes the other side of the flyover?
    Correct, people come over the flyover and try and get left when they haven't really got alot of road and time to do so, you can't really blame them, although plenty approach way to fast which causes problems with those who are trying to go from left to right!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    As i thought, crazy system. I've always just looked for a gap and gone for it. The biggest issue is people coming off the flyover who want to go into the left hand lanes and they're driving to fast.
    This is how I’ve done it. Just driven and been aware at all times and moved when I’ve seen a gap. Stupid really!

Fun is when you have to slow down to move over left to go to the a470 and the impatient arsehole behind you comes as close as he can to show you how angry he is. Then you both get into your respective lanes and he drives 10 mph slower than you.

At the bottom as you head away from the city, just before the Wetherspoons. Who has right of way, vehicles who have entered via the roundabout who are in the left hand lane but want to get over into the right hand land which takes you to birchgrove, Llanishen or do those who are coming off the flyover and want to get left in order to drive up Manor way-North rd etc ?

My wife had an accident at this spot about 6/7years ago, had to go to court over it, knocked her confidence for 6, doesn't drive anymore.

No right of way , if there was , no one would give it to you anyways ,just ram yer car across the road and beep your horn loudly and flash your lights like a maniac , once the maneuver is over , just wind down the window and give anyway who looks startled a good strong two finger V

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    My wife had an accident at this spot about 6/7years ago, had to go to court over it, knocked her confidence for 6, doesn't drive anymore.
    dreadful, and the entrance and exit to the pub in a middle of a roundabout is hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    dreadful, and the entrance and exit to the pub in a middle of a roundabout is hilarious
    Her mum had not long died and not a wealthy family had left her about 6k, she bought a new Ka with the money and the car was written off in the accident.

International

I beleive there is no signage and no obvious right of way deliberately, like some dutch towns that have no road markings and no street furniture at junctions.
    It makes people think and be more careful.
    Imagine if there was a give way sign for either the flyover or the road from the roundabout. The traffic coming that way in the rush hour would have to stop and would probably not move again until the traffic was backed up all the way around the roundabout and back to the beginning of the flyover.
    no obvious right is probably the least bad option.

Surely the logical thing to do is direct everyone onto the a470. There must be a better solution

I live quite close, and have to run the gauntlet fairly often. Okay, I've been driving a long time, so may be more confident than others, but I think you have to know where you're going, keep your eyes open, and stick to your line. He who hesitates is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    It’s probably 20 years since I used the Gabalfa flyover but it sounds like it’s still the same as it always was 🤣.

Yeh it was the Cross inn

Was it the Bass team you played for?

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton Baptiste View Post
    Yeh it was the Cross inn

Was it the Bass team you played for?
    Yes. Happy Days.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I live quite close, and have to run the gauntlet fairly often. Okay, I've been driving a long time, so may be more confident than others, but I think you have to know where you're going, keep your eyes open, and stick to your line. He who hesitates is lost.
    Bit tricky to stick to your line when you're coming off the flyover and need to get to Whitchurch, especially when drivers on your left are sticking to their line and going faster than you.

People staying in their own lane have the right of way, anyone wanting to change lanes has to give way.
    It's an unusual layout but to be fair I can't remember any accidents there and I must have driven it thousands of times.

Only other option would be traffic lights which would be horrendous

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    ...or woman. Anyone in the right hand lane coming over the flyover trying to get into the left lane for Whitchurch....good luck with that one. Experience will show the way as to which lane to get into and when. Just watch out front, rear and side remembering its a 30mph limit with the odd mobile speed camera. It really is a crazy junction and I can understand why people avoid it.

I frequently need to get from the skip road over to the far right to go to Birchgrove. It’s easier to just close your eyes and hope for the best sometimes.

The BMW driver

But serioulsy just the most confident and assertive!