+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Proud to be Welsh - I think not

Proud to be Welsh - I think not

The most depressing aspect of this election is the lack of a Welsh perspective. 'Our' media, pundits, candidates and electorate just pander to the Westminster narrative. Neither main party has given a toss about Wales when in power, however we are useless at demanding a Welsh perspective is heard, and by this I don't mean someone from Aberdare commenting on Brexit. I'm no nationalist but envy how the Scots have put themselves in a position where Scottish issues can't be ignored by London. Our pride, beyond sport, culture and language doesn't translate into demanding fair coverage and treatment. Lemmings jumping to London's bandwagon.
    Hopefully our younger folk, going through a less anglo- centric education, may begin to be more questioning, have a wider political perspective and be less subservient. 😕

Re: Proud to be Welsh - I think not

100% agree. It is shocking how much we as a country get walked over but that is worse is our own lack of national pride, I have lived overseas for the past 5 years and whenever somebody Welsh is questioned about Wales, quality of life, aspects of Welsh life, it is always a negative answer and a put down to themselves and the nation. It is hardwired into our culture, probably due to 500 years of suppression.

We are as a nation too loyal, I asked some of my family why they wouldn't vote Plaid, showed her their manifesto and she said she has no reason not to, agreed with everything on it but are just too loyal to Labour, even after decades of neglect.

'Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.' - Einstein

So this time it's Plaid for me. Every other party have had a chance and done nothing for Wales.

Re: Proud to be Welsh - I think not

We are regarded with disdain in Westminster. But try arguing this and quoting evidence and many Welsh people jump to the nation state's defence!! I ask them why Wales is so poor and lacking basic infrastructure compared to many parts of England and I get a dumbfounded response. I try to avoid Brexit but ask why the EU had to invest so much in Wales. Again, no concept of the idea of the EU's regional assistance having to step in where our central government failed to support us after industrialisation. They usually retort with an anti EU comment direct from a newspaper headline or politician - unelected beurocrats etc. We need more independent media outlets like Scotland has to counter the brainwashing.