Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
Just perhaps it would have better to let Johnson have his deal of a few months ago, he was weak then and could have been controlled , he's now in Pl ace for 5 years with a such a majority with that he can get anything through the House even with a bit of dissent, I was genuinely surprised to wake up this morning to the news, with the choice of candidates on offer wasn't really bothered who won, that said having a tory win with such a commanding majority is not something I would have wanted but not having voted, apparently I got what I deserved. I note that he still hasn't resigned as yet and taken his crew with him, if he's allowed any influence over the next leader then I'm certain I'll not see another Labour Pm, I'm sure BJ will be found out very soon by his new supporters but will Labour continue with a radical left which has just been given one massive FO tablet and blow it again, or will they modernise to an electable left leaning party.
1. Didn't Johnson's Brexit Deal (aka Theresa May's deal with an Irish Sea border) get passed by MPs in October. They wanted time to deal with it properly (so end January not end October deadline) but it was Johnson (who voted against Brexit twice) who pulled the plug!

2. The 'radical left' leader of the Labour Party took them to 41% (against Tory 43%) of the vote with a similar, popular, manifesto in 2017. True there have been two and a half years more of concerted attacks from the media and the other side in the Labour civil war which has caused him more damage, but the real difference is the Brexit stance. Labour did not have a 'get off the fence' option and it killed them. Corbyn was also less effective and less of a surprise in the campaign this time around - but that cannot explain the scale of the loss of leave voting heartland seats.

3. I hope Corbyn resigns the leadership sooner rather than later, but he is right to tie the timing in to a new leadership election process - and that should be down to the Labour party to decide, not Laura Kuenssberg or the Mail Online. But it should be done as quickly as possible (as should an internal review of why they failed so badly - especially as McDonnell and others really expected a repeat of 2017 in the final days).