+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wales - a brainwashed subsidiary of England. Discuss.

Wales - a brainwashed subsidiary of England. Discuss.

Wales' tv media is dominated by 2 organisations which are subsidiaries of London based organisations. They both deliver a British news first and then Welsh news second menu. Our written media is almost completely delivered by London based or owned organisations. Most of these are sympathetic to one political party which is not reflective of Wales as a whole. Our media consistently fail to provide a proper or even any Welsh context, simply replicating UK issues.
    Whilst an understanding of UK issues is important, does our media brainwash people over time that Wales is the same as England ?
    I feel too many people are not able to see beyond the red tops and accept their narrative and views. As a result we continue to allow Wales to be treated poorly by the existing politicians.

Re: Wales - a brainwashed subsidiary of England. Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Penywaun gentrified View Post
    Wales' tv media is dominated by 2 organisations which are subsidiaries of London based organisations. They both deliver a British news first and then Welsh news second menu. Our written media is almost completely delivered by London based or owned organisations. Most of these are sympathetic to one political party which is not reflective of Wales as a whole. Our media consistently fail to provide a proper or even any Welsh context, simply replicating UK issues.
    Whilst an understanding of UK issues is important, does our media brainwash people over time that Wales is the same as England ?
    I feel too many people are not able to see beyond the red tops and accept their narrative and views. As a result we continue to allow Wales to be treated poorly by the existing politicians.
    To be fair whole swathes of the country, except Scotland, have conceded to the brainwashing and not just Wales. This election has been a relevation.

I agree with that. But this is my point, many Welsh people don't really recognise Wales as a distinct country/nation/ whatever due to the overwhelming media bias against the idea of 'Wales' as different.You used the term 'the country ' as meaning the UK?Scotland has a wider press to balance opinion. Northern Ireland has had far more in depth coverage since yesterday's vote despite having half as many seats. Welsh coverage merely amounts to 'oh, the same thing happened in Wales by the way'.☹

Quote Originally Posted by Penywaun gentrified View Post
    I agree with that. But this is my point, many Welsh people don't really recognise Wales as a distinct country/nation/ whatever due to the overwhelming media bias against the idea of 'Wales' as different.You used the term 'the country ' as meaning the UK?Scotland has a wider press to balance opinion. Northern Ireland has had far more in depth coverage since yesterday's vote despite having half as many seats. Welsh coverage merely amounts to 'oh, the same thing happened in Wales by the way'.☹
    I take your point; I don't recognise Wales as a separate Country/Nation myself

Wales is part of the United Kingdom and thankfully has no ambtion for nationalism.

Welsh people are simply not as patriotic as the Scots

A classic example is the number of welsh people who support English football teams then a week later cheer on the rugby team

Loads of hot air talked in wales but in Scotland they walk the walk

Not a cat in hells chance of plaid ever becoming a political force like the SNP

I take LOM's point, but this is the problem - speaking up for Wales' rights is quickly jumped upon as coming from an independence standpoint. THERE IS A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WANTING FAIRNESS FROM THE CURRENT SITUATION AND ADVOCATING INDEPENDENCE. I'm not a nationalist but I get angry when obvious unfairness/discrimination is just accepted (blatant recent examples include electrification of line to Swansea and refusal of allowing devolvement of air tax duty, despite allowing this to Scotland and NI). Other examples are more subtle.
    Sludge says we are not as patriotic as the Scots, I understand the point but believe this is self-inflicted to a large extent as we continue to accept the nuanced media bias, hence the mirroring of England's vote in Wales.
    We are too politically and economically illiterate.

Something like a quarter of the population of Wales was born in England.

Agreed. Not sure of your point exactly. Russia made a similar argument after invading the Crimea. I'm saying that we too easily toe the 'national ' line. I accept in migration has influenced opinions. However, as Welsh born, we are rather pathetic in our demands for fair treatment from London. Every day media seems more powerful than individuals' beliefs. We are illiterate when it comes to our economic and political rights.
    It's demoralising in the extreme. Lay down, rollover.

The Welsh are not taught Welsh history in school, its a way of brainwashing and controlling the population.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    The Welsh are not taught Welsh history in school, its a way of brainwashing and controlling the population.
    Any Historian will tell you there's a good reason for that. History traces the people, facts and circumstances directly related to producing the status quo. In other words the raison detre of the contemporary world order.

There's a massive reason why English/British chronology is history while Welsh chronology is not. English/British cultural development directly produced world shaping phenomena like the Industrial Revolution and creation of the Protestant movement for example: it also directly led to the formation of the USA, the principal world power.

Other chronologies only enter historical debate when they have contributed something tangible to the course of history. There are very few Welsh circumstances that qualify on that score; the accession of the Tudor dynasty being one of a select few examples.

There is obviously only a limited amount of school time which can be devoted to learning the mass of historical circumstances and Welsh culture plays a minimal part in it whilst unfortunately for us English culture has been a core driver of historical events and debate.

Welsh "history" in this regard is only a chronology of regional culture on a par with Ugandan, Peruvian, Nepalese chronologies for example. However, I do concede there is a place for Welsh cultural studies at primary school with options for further study if desired.

The laws of Hywel Dda, have the English caught up yet after a 1000 years ?, what about Owain Glyndwr being one of the most influential people in the World to ever live.
    Will they teach about King Arthur who is a Welsh/Ancient Briton hero who is sleeping in a cave ready to come to our rescue to fight the vile Saxons, yet the English often see him as one of their hero's when the reality is he was fighting them.
    We have a long and rich history in Wales that should be taught to children in Wales.

The laws of Hywel Dda, have the English caught up yet after a 1000 years ?, what about Owain Glyndwr being one of the most influential people in the World to ever live.
    Will they teach about King Arthur who is a Welsh/Ancient Briton hero who is sleeping in a cave ready to come to our rescue to fight the vile Saxons, yet the English often see him as one of their hero's when the reality is he was fighting them.
    We have a long and rich history in Wales that should be taught to children in Wales.
    I know kids get taught about a bloke who whipped up a fantastic picnic with a few loaves of bread and some salmon but your idea of educating children on Welsh history is bringing King Arthur into the curriculum because it should be a Welsh legend rather than an English one. Talk about blowing your own boats/corracles (delete as appropriate) out of the water!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I know kids get taught about a bloke who whipped up a fantastic picnic with a few loaves of bread and some salmon but your idea of educating children on Welsh history is bringing King Arthur into the curriculum because it should be a Welsh legend rather than an English one. Talk about blowing your own boats/corracles (delete as appropriate) out of the water!
    I didn't say that King Arthur should be on the curriculum, but Hywel Dda and Owain Glyndwr should.

I didn't say that King Arthur should be on the curriculum, but Hywel Dda and Owain Glyndwr should.
    Apologies I misunderstood the "Will they teach about King Arthur" bit! That apart I think the curriculum should have space for Welsh History and culture though I had thought the Assembly was taking some steps to address this.