+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Championship. Tuesday and Wednesday night attendances..

Championship. Tuesday and Wednesday night attendances..

I know the sky 'red button' and Champions league games have knocked midweek attendances, but this week they were really poor. Even the announced gates were considerably higher than actuals - yes, City are the same, but Stoke looked like they had barely 10-12,000, Swansea 14,000 but probably closer to 11 or 12,000.

The growth in popularity of the Championship in recent yrs has been amazing, but I think the tipping point with enthusiasm for attending actual games versus 'footie fans' watching games on TV has been reached. Also a lot more gaps in PL grounds this season too.

As PL clubs rely less on actual paying spectators compared with TV income, I wouldn't be surprised if we soon have a 'televised' game on Sky/BT at 3pm on a Saturday ; then we'll go the way of Italian football, grounds 25% full at most.

Re: Championship. Tuesday and Wednesday night attendances..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I know the sky 'red button' and Champions league games have knocked midweek attendances, but this week they were really poor. Even the announced gates were considerably higher than actuals - yes, City are the same, but Stoke looked like they had barely 10-12,000, Swansea 14,000 but probably closer to 11 or 12,000.

The growth in popularity of the Championship in recent yrs has been amazing, but I think the tipping point with enthusiasm for attending actual games versus 'footie fans' watching games on TV has been reached. Also a lot more gaps in PL grounds this season too.

As PL clubs rely less on actual paying spectators compared with TV income, I wouldn't be surprised if we soon have a 'televised' game on Sky/BT at 3pm on a Saturday ; then we'll go the way of Italian football, grounds 25% full at most.
    My extremely distant jack relative reckoned about 4000 ST holders were missing at Swansea on Wednesday, they count ST holders as we well know so stated 14000.

Re: Championship. Tuesday and Wednesday night attendances..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post

There's been a policy of giving teams long midweek trips in recent years which suggests to me that the Football League are not overly bothered with the implications that will have on attendances - besides fewer travelling supporters, the lower number of derbies must have an impact on home support.