+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Extended contract for Sol Bamba

Extended contract for Sol Bamba

Sol Bamba says he has signed a one-year extension with Cardiff City, although the Championship club has not yet officially confirmed the new deal.

The 34-year-old Ivory Coast defender was in the final year of his contract.

"I signed a new contract when I got injured, it's just not been released yet because the club wanted me to wait," Bamba told BBC Radio Leeds.

He tore a cruciate ligament in March, after being a key part of Cardiff's Premier League campaign last season.

Bamba has played one game this campaign, coming off the bench in the 2 November win over Birmingham City after returning from that serious knee injury.

"The club has been good to me, to be fair, it was the plan before I got injured as the club were happy with me," Bamba added.

"When I got injured the club just wanted me to concentrate on my rehab and therefore they gave me an extra year."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50789627

Re: Extended contract for Sol Bamba

Why are we handing out extended contracts to players like Bamba, Richards and Connolly who have no future with us at all? Bamba is now 4th choice centre back.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Why are we handing out extended contracts to players like Bamba, Richards and Connolly who have no future with us at all? Bamba is now 4th choice centre back.
    Loyalty says that Bamba sort of deserves a bit of a break although i do understand where you're coming from.

I know football's is a long way away from a charity but as long as Bamba is seen as a positive influence in the new regime I would not begrudge a bit of my season ticket going to keeping him as a squad player. Connolly was nonsense and Jazz is too much of a risk given his record.

I thought he'd signed a longer extension last year keeping him here till 2022

Well done City.
    Great player and great attitude.
    Deserves it .

Quote Originally Posted by barrybloo View Post
    Well done City.
    Great player and great attitude.
    Deserves it .
    Hopefully he is taking his coaching badges with a long term view of introducing him into the next stage of his career with us, wouldn't it be a great idea to have someone trained up and prepared to take on further responsibility in the future.

A succession plan, hopefully it will catch on he's a good footballer with a superb attitude

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Hopefully he is taking his coaching badges with a long term view of introducing him into the next stage of his career with us, wouldn't it be a great idea to have someone trained up and prepared to take on further responsibility in the future.

A succession plan, hopefully it will catch on he's a good footballer with a superb attitude
    I'd rather we hadn't given him a new contract and released him in the summer. Maybe when Warnock finds a new club he'll come in for him?

I think he's someone that gives his absolute all for us and we could really do with that right about now.

great loyalty shown by the club imho, he sounds like a positive influence around the club

How do you work out that he is 4th choice ? He isn't fully fit yet after being out for 6 months injured. When he is fully fit, he will be in the match squad and more likely than not, one of the first names on the team sheet.

The positive influence point made above is the nail on the head. I understand it sounds silly to pay a player for just that. But he will not be on big wages now and it is so Important to have senior pros at a club setting the standards of what is expected

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    How do you work out that he is 4th choice ? He isn't fully fit yet after being out for 6 months injured. When he is fully fit, he will be in the match squad and more likely than not, one of the first names on the team sheet.
    Bamba played several minutes against Birmingham in early November was on the bench against Bristol in Warnock's last game and played for the U 23s three weeks ago. He hasn't appeared in any of the 6 matchday squads that Harris has picked. Has he suffered a setback in his rehabilitation? If not what makes you think he isn't behind Flint, Nelson and Morrison in Harris's thinking?