+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: City keepers over the years

Re: City keepers over the years

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Don't forget Bill Irwin. David Marshall has the second highest number of League appearences as a goalkeeper for us, with Ron Healey, Neil Alexander and Graham Vearncombe all over 200 games too.
    Agree about Bill Irwin, probably my favourite City keeper. Fumbling Frank Parsons was a nightmare. However, I genuinely felt sorry for a young Lyn Davies playing behind an appalling City defence and getting his confidence completely destroyed.

I don't have a favourite but the best CCFC goalkeeping performance I ever saw was by Jim Eadie who saved at least 6 goals with wondrous saves in around 1971. The best goalkeeping performance by any keeper was Peter Shilton playing for Leicester against Cardiff but I digress.

And yet Jim Eadie on played 43 League games for us, Scoular went out and bought firstly Frank Parsons, who was Ok until that fateful 4-3 defeat at home to Middlesbrough where he even saved a penalty, but was dropped afterwards and only played a few games from then on. And then Eadie came in but we went out and bought Bill Irwin a year later. Eadie went on to became a Bristol Rovers favourite, playing over 200 games for them. He was a chunky lad but I felt we sold hime too early. The first City 'keeper I saw was Fred Davies and he was great too. The main good ones I've seen are Davies, Eadie, Irwin, Healey, Dibble, Thomas, Wood, Alexander, Marshall, Heaton, Etheridge

In my early days it the position was between Graham Vearncombe & Dilwyn John but the third ‘keeper at the club was Maurice Swan (a user’s name on here as well) who was regarded by many as better than both of them. I saw him play in the Combination many times, decent opposition in those days, and he always impressed me.

Special mention to the unfortunate Bob Wilson, ousted from the first team by Fred Davies and only drafted into the first team after Fred signed due to Fred signing too late, therefore ineligible for the ECWC. Wilson’s performances were a huge factor in us reaching the semi final only for it all to come crashing down in that Hamburg home leg.

George Wood NQAT

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    George Wood NQAT
    Marshall has been the best but the best in jogger bottoms was Hansbury

Dimi the worst with Lee Smelt a close second

Agree with this list, some superb keepers there.

Further to Splott Parker's comments, Bob Wilson was so unlucky in that Hamburg game. He got a hand to the shot but imparted so much backspin to the ball that although he initially saved it and the ball went forward about a yard, it spun viciously back and past him for Hamburg's winning goal. It was the first and last time I cried at a football match.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I don't have a favourite but the best CCFC goalkeeping performance I ever saw was by Jim Eadie who saved at least 6 goals with wondrous saves in around 1971. The best goalkeeping performance by any keeper was Peter Shilton playing for Leicester against Cardiff but I digress.
    Best by a visiting keeper I've seen is Tom McAllister for Rotherham in 1976 - Marshall in our first Premier League season was undoubtedly the best keeper I've seen play for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Further to Splott Parker's comments, Bob Wilson was so unlucky in that Hamburg game. He got a hand to the shot but imparted so much backspin to the ball that although he initially saved it and the ball went forward about a yard, it spun viciously back and past him for Hamburg's winning goal. It was the first and last time I cried at a football match.
    Scoular said Wilson would never play for the club again after that game and he was true to his word.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    We’ve had class goalkeepers over the last decade, but the worse surely has to be Peter Zois
    Agree with that, an honourable mention for Steve Humphreys as well, same sort of standard as Zois.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Best by a visiting keeper I've seen is Tom McAllister for Rotherham in 1976 - Marshall in our first Premier League season was undoubtedly the best keeper I've seen play for us.
    I was at that game too Paul, and that performance by McAllister is certainly the best I have seen, he was absolutely superb that day. If it had been on the TV it would have been classed at World Class. Also in the same season I saw Bill Irwin give a similar performance at Halifax as the home side battered us, but Mike England scored his only goal for the club and we got away with a 1-1 draw.

We were so fortunate to have both Bill Irwin and Ron Healey at the club at the same time

The best save l've ever seen by a city keeper was Eric Steele at Fratton Park back in the early 80s. Bankseque in my opinion.

And last week I was given back loads of old programmes that I gave away 20 odd years ago. The first one I looked at had Peter Grotier in goals for us. I'd completely forgot that he'd briefly played for us back pre Irwin and Healey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Best keeper from our "really crap" days has to be Jon Hallworth?
    By a country mile he was our best player from whichever awful season we had him. His shot stopping was otherwordly for the level we were playing at.

Yep Bill Irwin was a very good keeper but we had quite a few at that time, including Jim Eadie and my personal favourite Fred Davies.
    Fred Davies

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Neville Southall, greatest keeper to wear a Cardiff shirt
    I was there, against Norway wasn't it.

Ditto... I was 17 and hoping to go to Amsterdam for the Final.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Here's a list https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/card...saison_id/2018
    Can't see who you mean though.
    But Stuart Taylor is there
    Taylor played just 95 games (starts and subs appearances) in a 20 year career (he's still listed as a free agent).

Since signing for Cardiff in 2009 he has played just 18 games in 10 years.

Despite barely ever getting his kit dirty he's credited with a Premier League title, an FA Cup winners medal and a Community Shield winners medal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Best keeper from our "really crap" days has to be Jon Hallworth?
    In goal for the 8 man draw at Cambridge inc saving a penalty

Peter Grotier was with for a 2 game loan spell in 73/73 and then we paid £20k or £25k in 1979/80 and he was given a free in 1982, He was Ok but always an understudy to Ron Healey, and played 22 games one season when Healey was injured. He went to Grimsby.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    We've seen plenty of awful keepers over the years and he is there with the worst of them
    Frank Parsons..

No ones mentioned Lyn Davies

Conceded 24 goals in 5 games including two 7’s, plus at the same time conceded 8 for Wales under 21’s

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    No ones mentioned Lyn Davies

Conceded 24 goals in 5 games including two 7’s, plus at the same time conceded 8 for Wales under 21’s
    Keep up at the back

Marshall its not even close.