+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tomlin suspended for Preston game?

Tomlin suspended for Preston game?

According to Soccerbase, Lee Tomlin's booking today was his fifth of the season.

Apparently, he was booked in the matches against Blackburn, Charlton, Stoke, Barnsley and Leeds. Therefore, I guess he'll be suspended for next weekend's game against Preston.

That's a shame if correct as he's been doing some brilliant things in recent matches.

Re: Tomlin suspended for Preston game?

We will miss him as he is the only player who can create something from nothing, superb goal today and fantastic flick k on for Glatzels goal

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    We will miss him as he is the only player who can create something from nothing, superb goal today and fantastic flick k on for Glatzels goal
    I've checked the BBC reports and the Soccerbase stats seem to be correct - a booking at Blackburn in August and four bookings in the last six games. Weird, as I don't recall him committing too many fouls in the games I've seen him play for City.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I've checked the BBC reports and the Soccerbase stats seem to be correct - a booking at Blackburn in August and four bookings in the last six games. Weird, as I don't recall him committing too many fouls in the games I've seen him play for City.
    I think the cut-off point for a one match suspension in the EFL for 5 bookings is 19 League matches and two matches for 10 bookings after 37. Set by the FA. If so Tomlin should be good to go against Preston.

Correct, he won’t serve a suspension until he now gets to ten.

Morrison will miss one game if it’s deemed to be a professional foul or three if it’s violent conduct ( I haven’t seen the incident)

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I think the cut-off point for a one match suspension in the EFL for 5 bookings is 19 League matches and two matches for 10 bookings after 37. Set by the FA. If so Tomlin should be good to go against Preston.
    I've just found the FA guidelines for professional players and what you've said seems to be right. What a bizarre rule, but then there are plenty of those these days. So, it seems a player could come into the team for the first time in match 15, pick up bookings in matches 15, 16, 17, 18 and 20, and escape a suspension. However, if he came into the team in match 14 and picked up bookings in matches 14, 15, 16, 17 and 19, he'd get a suspension. Who dreams this stuff up?

I've just found the FA guidelines for professional players and what you've said seems to be right. What a bizarre rule, but then there are plenty of those these days. So, it seems a player could come into the team for the first time in match 15, pick up bookings in matches 15, 16, 17, 18 and 20, and escape a suspension. However, if he came into the team in match 14 and picked up bookings in matches 14, 15, 16, 17 and 19, he'd get a suspension. Who dreams this stuff up?
    I guess they think that the escalating punishment of 2 games up to 37 is meant to catch those types of players who start later in the season but offend regularly.

It’s almost as if these rules buck the trend of all others and are unfair. Fascinating stuff? Not really.

He wasn't booked for a bad foul against Barnsley last week. It was for a frank exchange of views at very close quarters with one of their players.

Thank feck for that

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Thank feck for that
    Amen

Hallelujah!
    Been a revelation of late, looks so good on the ball.

WalesOnline seem to think he's suspended for Preston.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Dont believe anything you read in that rag.

Always nibbling is Tomlin hoping to get it back in a good area for a free kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Read the headline on this thread no doubt.

According to Soccerbase, Lee Tomlin's booking today was his fifth of the season.

Apparently, he was booked in the matches against Blackburn, Charlton, Stoke, Barnsley and Leeds. Therefore, I guess he'll be suspended for next weekend's game against Preston.

That's a shame if correct as he's been doing some brilliant things in recent matches.
    I hadn't seen this when I posted in the match thread .
    What changed your opinion of him?
    He has been a game changer since the day he signed for us , Warnocks treatment of him has been almost criminal .
    I accept he may not have treated his body as well as he should have , but asking him to charge up and down the park when he eventually did use him was a total waste of his talent.
    If Warnock was still manager ,Tomlin would have been hauled of after 60 minutes because he would have been knackered running up and down the park trying to keep his manager happy .

Preston are a weird bogey side for us... did the double over us when we last went up, the infamous 0-6 match. And that was when they were a bit shite. They're doing well this year, so god knows what'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    What changed your opinion of him?
    Nothing.

Tomlin's a very talented player who is a pleasure to watch when he's in the right fame of mind. We've all known that all along. However, sadly he's one of those people who has wasted significant portions of his career. His record also suggests that he's a player who tends to go through purple patches of both form and goals, and he's in one of those patches right now.

Tomlin's not a youngster. He will be 31 in less than a month. He should have been at his peak in recent years, but earlier this year he was on loan in League One, scoring just two goals in 21 appearances and very rarely lasting 90 minutes.

I hear what you say about Warnock and bear in mind I used to get slagged off on here for criticising the dinosaur's tedious tactics, but nevertheless Tomlin must shoulder a significant portion of the blame for the fact that his last manager didn't have any trust in him. He's gone through patches of brilliant form at almost all of his previous clubs but he's never sustained them, hence those clubs have always been happy to offload him, in some cases relatively quickly.

Harris seems to be getting a decent tune out of Tomlin at present and the fact that he's lasting 90 minutes is a testament to both him and his manager. He's said himself that he's in much better shape now than he has been for a long time. But the question is can he maintain this level of form for any period of time? I really hope he does because there's not much genuine talent anywhere else in the current squad.

Nothing.

Tomlin's a very talented player who is a pleasure to watch when he's in the right fame of mind. We've all known that all along. However, sadly he's one of those people who has wasted significant portions of his career. His record also suggests that he's a player who tends to go through purple patches of both form and goals, and he's in one of those patches right now.

Tomlin's not a youngster. He will be 31 in less than a month. He should have been at his peak in recent years, but earlier this year he was on loan in League One, scoring just two goals in 21 appearances and very rarely lasting 90 minutes.

I hear what you say about Warnock and bear in mind I used to get slagged off on here for criticising the dinosaur's tedious tactics, but nevertheless Tomlin must shoulder a significant portion of the blame for the fact that his last manager didn't have any trust in him. He's gone through patches of brilliant form at almost all of his previous clubs but he's never sustained them, hence those clubs have always been happy to offload him, in some cases relatively quickly.

Harris seems to be getting a decent tune out of Tomlin at present and the fact that he's lasting 90 minutes is a testament to both him and his manager. He's said himself that he's in much better shape now than he has been for a long time. But the question is can he maintain this level of form for any period of time? I really hope he does because there's not much genuine talent anywhere else in the current squad.
    That's the big question, can he sustain this level of performance, or how does he react when players start fouling him, get closer etc. I hope that he can continue playing the way he has not just because i'm a City fan, but for my own sanity. Watching City over the past five years or so has been devoid of a creative spark, a player with the ability to see things that others can't. It makes watching them easier!

Zohore’s purple patch under Warnock was very enjoyable, the night he bullied Mepham at Brentford, his goal against Preston etc, hope Tomlin’s lasts longer, I’ve got a feeling it will, fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Zohore’s purple patch under Warnock was very enjoyable, the night he bullied Mepham at Brentford, his goal against Preston etc, hope Tomlin’s lasts longer, I’ve got a feeling it will, fingers crossed
    Yes. Zohores rise was very enjoyable. Shame it didn't last.