+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tomlin cult hero?

Tomlin cult hero?

He could become one? Will we keep him? How do we keep him playing this way?

Re: Tomlin cult hero?

He’s our best player by a country mile and I’d say, already a cult hero.
    He just needs to be reminded of his importance to the side (something Warnock seemingly didn’t do) to keep him on form and to be kept away from the doughnuts!
    We still need another playmaker for the squad - hopefully someone from the academy who can learn from him.

Sorry. Just started another thread on him. Just seen this one.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    He deserves two after yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    OMG. The ultimate crime. The message board thread nazis will be along shortly 🙄

Best player this season and is starting to change games. Needs to keep playing and I don't see any reason why he would be out of the team on current form. Also seems fit enough. That flick late on for Glatzel was quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    OMG. The ultimate crime. The message board thread nazis will be along shortly 🙄
    In fairness he’s done it once and not multiple times like you seem to do eh Mr. My comment is too good for the thread with 100s of comments on.

I'd like to see Ralls and him played in the same team every single game, Ralls is our best ball player of the box to box lot, Pack the destroyer. Harris, and I'm sure he is, needs to figure out which striker Tomlin can play with the best and go with that for the rest of the season.

We can easily make the playoffs, outside of the top 2 the standard of the championship this season is very average thus far... we can easily take advantage of it. We'll win our next two games.

Carry on as he is and he could be become a hero as opposed to cult hero. The trouble with cult heroes is that they tend to be more remembered for what they are supposed to have done off the pitch rather than on. Robin Friday is supposed to be a cult hero and he achieved very little on the pitch. Midfielder Tomlin is already well on his way to exceeding the scoring record of striker Robin Friday. Let’s hope he carries on and in future is remembered for the right reasons.

He's probably the most Koumas-like player we've had since Koumas.

He needs a better song though, the he hates Bristol one is utter shite.

How do people feel about how he is being used by Harris? Firstly, well done to our new manager for acknowledging that we need Tomlin in the side in order to create chances, open teams up and finally a player with a bit of vision and the ability to slow the game down then get it moving again on his terms. The bit that i don't seem to understand is that Harris seems to play a rigid type of football until we go a couple of goals down, space naturally opens up because e have to chase the game and the opposition naturally become a little more cautious as they have something to defend. That's when 'Captain' Tomlin arrives to save the day. We can't continue to play like that. The Brentford and Leeds game showed that we have difficulty defending, we aren't very good at conceding possession because most teams we come up against are more comfortable than us on the ball, and our defenders at times are making basic errors.

Tomlin can't just come into a game more when we're in the shit, he should become pivotal throughout the game. Harris' tactics have been poor for the last two games as they were against Barnsley. We have a player who thrives on possession or most certainly getting on the ball and being creative, Harris isn't playing to Tomlin's strengths, rather than being forced into playing a certain way, why doesn't Harris start by playing a higher line with the emphasis of getting Tomlin on the ball from the outset with players supporting him and making runs beyond him?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He does....

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    This!

Wasn’t Eddie Johnson a cult hero? Tomlin is a special player who can do things others can’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    How do people feel about how he is being used by Harris? Firstly, well done to our new manager for acknowledging that we need Tomlin in the side in order to create chances, open teams up and finally a player with a bit of vision and the ability to slow the game down then get it moving again on his terms. The bit that i don't seem to understand is that Harris seems to play a rigid type of football until we go a couple of goals down, space naturally opens up because e have to chase the game and the opposition naturally become a little more cautious as they have something to defend. That's when 'Captain' Tomlin arrives to save the day. We can't continue to play like that. The Brentford and Leeds game showed that we have difficulty defending, we aren't very good at conceding possession because most teams we come up against are more comfortable than us on the ball, and our defenders at times are making basic errors.

Tomlin can't just come into a game more when we're in the shit, he should become pivotal throughout the game. Harris' tactics have been poor for the last two games as they were against Barnsley. We have a player who thrives on possession or most certainly getting on the ball and being creative, Harris isn't playing to Tomlin's strengths, rather than being forced into playing a certain way, why doesn't Harris start by playing a higher line with the emphasis of getting Tomlin on the ball from the outset with players supporting him and making runs beyond him?
    I might be wrong, but I think all of Tomlin's worthwhile contributions this season have come in the second half of matches. Obviously, this is partially explained by him not being on the pitch until the second half of many of those matches, but his influence during that time has been pretty negligible in the ones he's started. More spaces as opponents tire is another factor in the imbalance between Tomlin's first and second half impact, but I think that our passing generally not being good enough when fit teams are pressing our players is a big factor, rather than any shortcomings on Tomlin's account. Someone on here said that we might become a passing side soon because of Tomlin - I presume that comment was made in jest!

If we play with two big slow centre backs we have to play deep. That doesn't play to Tomlin's strengths. Nelson isn't fast but he is a greyhound compared to Mozzer and Flint. Get the right balance at the back and Tomlin can be a real influence (not just in the last half hour), and if he can be an influence then that may be the key to unlocking Glatzel, Ward and the wide forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I might be wrong, but I think all of Tomlin's worthwhile contributions this season have come in the second half of matches. Obviously, this is partially explained by him not being on the pitch until the second half of many of those matches, but his influence during that time has been pretty negligible in the ones he's started. More spaces as opponents tire is another factor in the imbalance between Tomlin's first and second half impact, but I think that our passing generally not being good enough when fit teams are pressing our players is a big factor, rather than any shortcomings on Tomlin's account. Someone on here said that we might become a passing side soon because of Tomlin - I presume that comment was made in jest!
    We can't cope with pressure. We miss the Bamba of a year or so ago and Manga. What's also evident was Gunnarssons contribution towards defending the back line, added to that the form that Morrison was in. I don't rate flint, he's not a bad defender just incredibly slow to react and position himself (that probably makes him a bad defender!) Harris needs to look to strengthen the back 4, maybe overhaul it over the next year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    If we play with two big slow centre backs we have to play deep. That doesn't play to Tomlin's strengths. Nelson isn't fast but he is a greyhound compared to Mozzer and Flint. Get the right balance at the back and Tomlin can be a real influence (not just in the last half hour), and if he can be an influence then that may be the key to unlocking Glatzel, Ward and the wide forwards.
    I feel a bit sorry for Flint because he is what is written on the Tin. He's good at contesting high balls and putting pressure on attackers with their back to goal, Warnock would've known that but didn't bring someone in to make up for his shortcomings. The central defensive pairing, something that has been quite strong over the past few seasons is now in a big mess. Why didn't we try and keep Manga?