+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top interview on Marr

Top interview on Marr

John McDonnell gave a good interview on Marr this morning, the main thing to come out of it was that the press did a number on Corbyn for the last 4 years.

The question is will the press ever allow a left wing Labour party to win a General Election in the UK in the future ?
    https://twitter.com/LuckyHeronSay/st...34887806898176

Re: Top interview on Marr

Another Labour politician who does not get what the electorate has just told his party.

He got it alright, he was self critical but the bottom line is the press has done a number on Labour for years, what can be done about that unfairness ?, I thought Labours manifesto was very good but the people that own and run the media did a number on Corbyn as they would with any left of centre Labour leader.

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    He got it alright, he was self critical but the bottom line is the press has done a number on Labour for years, what can be done about that unfairness ?, I thought Labours manifesto was very good but the people that own and run the media did a number on Corbyn as they would with any left of centre Labour leader.
    Apart from 1997, the large majority of the mainstream press has been against Labour since I started voting in 1974 - Labour have won five elections since then. The media may have been a factor in Labour's defeat, but it was a small one and it seems Corbyn and his army of loyalists are thrashing around trying to find a scapegoat when, to a large extent, they should be looking at themselves.

I thought that the ideas in the manifesto were really good as well. If maybe one in three of those ideas had been presented this time around by a more credible leader, things may have turned out differently.

Blaming the press is like living in Wales and moaning about the rain.

I thought it the best manifesto I've ever seen and I'm incredulous the majority of the country didn't vote for it. Inevitably, it was nothing to do with the manifesto though, we have followed the USA scourge and elections now are Presidential popularity contests. McDonnell and Corbyn are right on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I thought it the best manifesto I've ever seen and I'm incredulous the majority of the country didn't vote for it. Inevitably, it was nothing to do with the manifesto though, we have followed the USA scourge and elections now are Presidential popularity contests. McDonnell and Corbyn are right on this.
    This was not a "normal" General Election where the content of manifestos had a major bearing on the outcome though. A general election was Johnson/Cummings favoured tool from the former's coronation. They rationalised quite rightly that the opposition parties would split the Remain vote and they would hoover up the well of discontent that Brexit was a logjam caused by opposition within and outwith the Tory party.

If McDonnell and Corbyn have suddenly woken up to the fact that Party Leadership is a key determinant in a sizeable proportion of the population when it comes to casting their vote then that is another reason we are well shot of them.

McDonnell and Corbyn as far as a lot of the electorate particularly English people are concerned come with baggage that the English media went on and on about, terrorist sympathisers, Marxists, get rid of the Queen etc etc - sensational headlines, damning the pair of them, I actually agree with them on all those things the media crucify them on, so what can one do ?, not stand up for what one believes in or something.

McDonnell and Corbyn as far as a lot of the electorate particularly English people are concerned come with baggage that the English media went on and on about, terrorist sympathisers, Marxists, get rid of the Queen etc etc - sensational headlines, damning the pair of them, I actually agree with them on all those things the media crucify them on, so what can one do ?, not stand up for what one believes in or something.
    Compared with the 2017 election Labour lost 2.6 million votes. The Tories gained 270k but the Lib Dems has 1.3 million more votes for one fewer seat and the SNP gained 250k. Plaid Cymru had 13k less. The rest of the difference is probably in the 650k votes for the Brexit party and the stay at homes in a 1.5% lower turnout.

So quite possibly half the Labour loss could have been the Guardian reading squad that ran to the Lib Dems in their droves rather than those apparently so brainwashed by the right wing press that they did not see Corbyn for the visionary he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    I thought that the ideas in the manifesto were really good as well. If maybe one in three of those ideas had been presented this time around by a more credible leader, things may have turned out differently.

Blaming the press is like living in Wales and moaning about the rain.
    I agree with this.

You can't promise to give 'everything' for free and by the end, Corbyn was throwing away freebies like a cheap plate seller down Porthcawl.

So many people felt he, McDonnell and Abbott would have bankrupt the country.

Corbynista's can shout and scream that that is rubbish, but the electorate has given them an absolute thrashing.

People didn't trust those three, or Corbynism as far as they could throw them. Look at the vile Laura Pidcock, seen as a future leader of Labour.
    Voted out of North West Durham.
    Bring back the likes of her at your peril.
    There is NO place for the likes of her in modern politics.

Finally, democracy and the electorate won the day.

It was a monumental experience and I am so proud of the British people who voted for Democracy.
    Something that Parliament and the Supreme Court did their best to reject.

This has restored my faith in the Great British public to vote with the integrity, that so many of our Parliamentarians seem to lack.

I hope this election is a watershed moment in British politics, whereby the parties actually listen to the electorate, instead of being such self serving, arrogant MP's.

The public has spoken.
    Listen.
    Learn.
    Let's have better opposition.
    Let's have better politics.

Let's have a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    I agree with this.

You can't promise to give 'everything' for free and by the end, Corbyn was throwing away freebies like a cheap plate seller down Porthcawl.

Corbynista's can shout and scream that that is rubbish, but the electorate has given them an absolute thrashing.

People didn't trust those three, or Corbynism as far as they could throw them. Look at the vile Laura Pidcock, seen as a future leader of Labour.

It was a monumental experience and I am so proud of the British people who voted for Democracy.

This has restored my faith in the Great British public to vote with the integrity, that so many of our Parliamentarians seem to lack.

I hope this election is a watershed moment in British politics, whereby the parties actually listen to the electorate, instead of being such self serving, arrogant MP's.

The public has spoken.
    Listen.
    Learn.

Talk us through the bit where the Supreme Court rejected democracy again?

Quote Originally Posted by JDerrida View Post
    I agree with this.

The public has spoken.
    Listen.
    Learn.

Its the Overton window.
    As Chomsky noted ''The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum—even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.''

This is kind of the nub of it in my opinion.

I think we probably share similar underlying political principles.

Personally, I believe in the majority of the concepts contained in Labours manifesto. I don't for a second believe that the majority of UK voters are going to go for it - especially when the vision is being sold by an old bloke squinting at the camera through wonky glasses.

I feel a bit bad typing that last bit as appearances shouldn't matter, but when it comes to elections they do.

I know it's going to be unpopular with some, but I believe Labour should decide what is electorally achievable, and stick to that.

Sticking by one's principles is laudable, but what help is that to some poor bugger spending the night in a cardboard box.

In order to implement left of centre policy you have to be in government

We need a charismatic , media savvy moderate leader without a past that could be picked apart by the right wing media

We had corbyn , so we got battered

Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    This is kind of the nub of it in my opinion.

I think we probably share similar underlying political principles.

Personally, I believe in the majority of the concepts contained in Labours manifesto. I don't for a second believe that the majority of UK voters are going to go for it - especially when the vision is being sold by an old bloke squinting at the camera through wonky glasses.

I feel a bit bad typing that last bit as appearances shouldn't matter, but when it comes to elections they do.

I know it's going to be unpopular with some, but I believe Labour should decide what is electorally achievable, and stick to that.

Sticking by one's principles is laudable, but what help is that to some poor bugger spending the night in a cardboard box.
    Good post.

John McDonnell gave a good interview on Marr this morning, the main thing to come out of it was that the press did a number on Corbyn for the last 4 years.

The question is will the press ever allow a left wing Labour party to win a General Election in the UK in the future ?
    Trump showed how to beat the press and the opposition, and deliver policies that are good for the people, but you have to be a bit of a Kent to succeed. Now 52% of the country love him, which is higher than Obama at this stage of his presidency, and they are in the middle of trying to impeach him!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Trump showed how to beat the press and the opposition, and deliver policies that are good for the people, but you have to be a bit of a Kent to succeed. Now 52% of the country love him, which is higher than Obama at this stage of his presidency, and they are in the middle of trying to impeach him!
    Oooh look it's the turn every thread into Trumpton guy! However for those people more interested in facts than propaganda here is the website that condenses all the polls not just Rasmussen into a tracker of popularity and unpopularity and uses that to compare previous Presidencies using like for like comparisons!

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Oooh look it's the turn every thread into Trumpton guy! However for those people more interested in facts than propaganda here is the website that condenses all the polls not just Rasmussen into a tracker of popularity and unpopularity and uses that to compare previous Presidencies using like for like comparisons!

It's the perfect comparison, and Corbyn just didn't have what it takes to succeed, even though they faced an identical situation. It should be noted that the American economy didn't collapse as predicted, in fact they probabaly now have the best economy in living memory regarding jobs.

Also, I would have thought that the love of Trump gluey talks about would equate to strongly approving of him, yet that figure from a polling organisation which constantly reports higher popularity figures than others shows that his strongly disapprove ratings have been higher in all but three of the daily polls they've done this year.

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub..._index_history

So, it's completely untrue to claim that 52 per cent love Trump - all this from someone who assures us he only deals in facts

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Also, I would have thought that the love of Trump gluey talks about would equate to strongly approving of him, yet that figure from a polling organisation which constantly reports higher popularity figures than others shows that his strongly disapprove ratings have been higher in all but three of the daily polls they've done this year.

So, it's completely untrue to claim that 52 per cent love Trump no this from someone who assures us he only deals in facts
    If you are right he will lose in 2020, it's easily measurable. But it doesn't take away from the fact that if you have a timid demeanor or you are just too nice, you will never beat the propaganda machine. Miliband and and Corbyn are proof of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    If you are right he will lose in 2020. It's easily measurable.
    Who's talking about 2020? My message is solely on the subject you brought up - that is, Trump's approval ratings in December 2019 and your claim, not backed by any evidence I can find, that 52 per cent currently "love" him.

Also, why do you have to be a c*nt to succeed if over half the voters love you?

Who's talking about 2020? My message is solely on the subject you brought up - that is, Trump's approval ratings in December 2019 and your claim, not backed by any evidence I can find, that 52 per cent currently "love" him.
    The last poll I saw had him on 52% approval.

Also, why do you have to be a c*nt to succeed if over half the voters love you?
    To beat the dirty tricks, the press and the organised propaganda campaigns. People are very easily manipulated!

So, it's completely untrue to claim that 52 per cent love Trump - all this from someone who assures us he only deals in facts
    Poor Bob....how touching. As WB will tell you whatiffery, obfuscation, distortion and innuendo have long since replaced facts in the armoury of the modern social media warrior! Good luck getting an answer to your question!

Poor Bob....how touching. As WB will tell you whatiffery, obfuscation, distortion and innuendo have long since replaced facts in the armoury of the modern social media warrior! Good luck getting an answer to your question!
    Says the resident Trump Russia Collusion propagandist, but now we know you were talking BS, due to the confirmation that your Steele Dossier was a complete hoax!