+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M4 Congestion

Re: M4 Congestion

Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    Same principal. More roads means more car journeys.
    I don’t think we will grow at the same rate,not even close tbh.

There is only so much demand here, I don’t really believe we will all of a sudden magic more cars and more car drivers because we have another road, maybe in YEARS yes, but better to be ahead of the battle than always catching up surely?

They obviously didn’t think past 2 lanes when they built the Brynglass tunnel and now look what we’re lumbered with, way too long journeys for vans and vans of workers from the south west of England!

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

There is only so much demand here, I don’t really believe we will all of a sudden magic more cars and more car drivers because we have another road, maybe in YEARS yes, but better to be ahead of the battle than always catching up surely?

They obviously didn’t think past 2 lanes when they built the Brynglass tunnel and now look what we’re lumbered with, way too long journeys for vans and vans of workers from the south west of England!
    ‘Planners’ must be the most inept of all local authority/government employees. It’s actually in the job title for Christ’s sake, estates have been built in Cardiff over the years with no thought to how folk can get off the buggers in the morning to get to work. Llanrumney for example, it must have the population of a small town yet has two exit roads, Llanrumney Avenue & Mount Pleasant Avenue, the Eastern Avenue runs along the bottom of the estate practically, yet no access to it, ridiculous. Houses going up all over, two vehicles per household is now the norm but no thought to the road systems, madness. That mini roundabout by The Heathcock is going to be swamped even more than it is now shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

It's not about population growth. Fact is that if car journeys are made easier, more people use cars. What Drakeford and co should be focussing on is building a public transport infrastructure within Wales that's fit for purpose. That's the way you fix road congestion.

Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    It's not about population growth. Fact is that if car journeys are made easier, more people use cars. What Drakeford and co should be focussing on is building a public transport infrastructure within Wales that's fit for purpose. That's the way you fix road congestion.
    Aren’t they already easier and more convenient though?

I’d rather sit in my car in traffic than walk in the pissing down rain to get in an overcrowded late train, I don’t see that side of it improving much neither tbh.

50mph on that streatch,chance would be a fine thing.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They should just build a bridge or barrage across the Severn from Cardiff bay link rd to the m5 by Clevedon. We can all forget about Newport, get to Bristol in 15 mins and free electricity. Get it on folks
    Suits me. Catching Cardiff during the back end of the rush hour when driving up for weekday evening games takes me to to three hours - and there aren't any trains that leave Cardiff after the game that will get me back to Taunton that day.

Homeless people is the solution here. Very few have cars therefore cuts down on pollution and congestion.

Agreed.I have come to the conclusion that the cause of traffic and delays around Newport between J24 and J27 is solely down to the variable speed limits.The only time reduced limits are required is when there is an accident or breakdown.Many times i have driven this stretch in the middle of the night when traffic is light and the 50mph signs are still displayed.Someone in authority needs to get a grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
    Agreed.I have come to the conclusion that the cause of traffic and delays around Newport between J24 and J27 is solely down to the variable speed limits.The only time reduced limits are required is when there is an accident or breakdown.Many times i have driven this stretch in the middle of the night when traffic is light and the 50mph signs are still displayed.Someone in authority needs to get a grip.
    There was congestion long before the variable speed limits

I'm not a fan of the variable limits. They seem a bit ironic when they limit you to 40mph and you can only actually do 20mph, stop-start. And they do, as you say, limit speed when there is nothing much on the road occasionally.

But as someone who has been commuting along that stretch for 20 years now it's nonsense to say they are what causes the chaos. There have been tailbacks at the tunnels forever and what has made them worse recently has been the removal of the tolls not the speed limits. Fortunately I have two more days in work then I retire so I won't have to put up with it for long

Travelled it regularly on nights and been coming home 3am for example and they’re still on. On again 1pm when there is **** all traffic.. it’s pathetic.