+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M4 Congestion

M4 Congestion

Fixed 50mph speed limit proposed for M4 around Newport
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...wport-17432922

Keep more cars on the road for longer. Great idea.

Re: M4 Congestion

It's been a max of 50mph most of the time (although usually 40mph when I travel) since the variable speed limit was introduced. It was criminal of WAG to simply shelve the relief road without any idea what to do instead, especially after wasting £44m on the inquiry. That stretch of road is a major hindrance to south Wales's economic development and causes misery for commuters every day.

They deserve to be voted out of office at the election in 2121.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    It's been a max of 50mph most of the time (although usually 40mph when I travel) since the variable speed limit was introduced. It was criminal of WAG to simply shelve the relief road without any idea what to do instead, especially after wasting £44m on the inquiry. That stretch of road is a major hindrance to south Wales's economic development and causes misery for commuters every day.

They deserve to be voted out of office at the election in 2121.
    First real decision the First Minister had to make and bottled it.

I agree with the recommendations on the slip road at 25A. Most of the delays through the tunnel seem to be drivers using the lane as a means to beat the traffic and cutting in late causing braking and a concertina effect further up the westbound carriageway.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I agree with the recommendations on the slip road at 25A. Most of the delays through the tunnel seem to be drivers using the lane as a means to beat the traffic and cutting in late causing braking and a concertina effect further up the westbound carriageway.
    As someone who turns off at 25A that does annoy me. But it has a negligible effect on the through traffic. It's the three lanes into two which causes the bottle-neck.

By the way, has there ever been a less inspiring leader than Drakeford. He looks and sounds like a downtrodden vicar of a small suburban church.

I thought it has been reduced a while back and then recommended that it was increased to stop congestion!

As someone who turns off at 25A that does annoy me. But it has a negligible effect on the through traffic. It's the three lanes into two which causes the bottle-neck.
    It's also that people use the M4 to get from one side of Newport to the other. You see plenty of people getting on at j25 and straight off again after the tunnels.
    This makes it more like going down to one lane as the inside lane is taken up with local traffic

They should just build a bridge or barrage across the Severn from Cardiff bay link rd to the m5 by Clevedon. We can all forget about Newport, get to Bristol in 15 mins and free electricity. Get it on folks

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They should just build a bridge or barrage across the Severn from Cardiff bay link rd to the m5 by Clevedon. We can all forget about Newport, get to Bristol in 15 mins and free electricity. Get it on folks
    Yes! The original route from penarth to Brean would also have meant that Cardiff was the nearest city centre for about another 200k people.

The plans they had though didn't include any road or rail benefits in their costings.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Fixed 50mph speed limit proposed for M4 around Newport
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...wport-17432922

Keep more cars on the road for longer. Great idea.
    A greater idea would have been a M4 relief road but the Welsh Labour Government cancelled after spending £120M on it -

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    A greater idea would have been a M4 relief road but the Welsh Labour Government cancelled after spending £120M on it -
    Very nice for the “back pocket” brigade !!!!

But it has a negligible effect on the through traffic. It's the three lanes into two which causes the bottle-neck.
    Correct.

Most people are cutting in there because they use the left lane to keep moving when the others are crawling or stood still. Not sure how someone moving back in causes someone at a standstill or crawling to break and cause a backlog, also, when the traffic is flowing people stay in the middle/right.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    I thought it has been reduced a while back and then recommended that it was increased to stop congestion!
    I love it when it’s 60 in the mornings until you get through the tunnel then for some reason drops to 40 the other side. Safe as **** tactics them.

Some right idiots in charge of them speed limits.

2 minutes 45 seconds

That's the difference between travelling 8 miles at 70mph and 50mph. Is it really that much of an inconvenience?

As touched on before, the problems are mainly caused by 3 lanes dropping to 2 and drivers mis-using the dedicated inside lanes before junctions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    2 minutes 45 seconds

That's the difference between travelling 8 miles at 70mph and 50mph. Is it really that much of an inconvenience?

As touched on before, the problems are mainly caused by 3 lanes dropping to 2 and drivers mis-using the dedicated inside lanes before junctions.
    Time diff at slower speed is very revealing. I travel to Pembrokeshire a lot and the diff if I go within the limits or try and rush came down to about 10 minutes more....

If something like this happened I'd start taking the climate crises more seriously. Only 12 years and we are still drilling for oil!!!! 😂😂

Banned

I was working in Glasgow in the summer, I'd fly one week, drive the next.
    Anyway, one drive down, I flew down all the way, with the exception of the road works at West Brom, the only bloody traffic I hit, was in magor.

The welsh assembly need shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    I was working in Glasgow in the summer, I'd fly one week, drive the next.
    Anyway, one drive down, I flew down all the way, with the exception of the road works at West Brom, the only bloody traffic I hit, was in magor.

The welsh assembly need shooting.
    ‘One drive down, I flew all the way’, what d’you f*cking expect taking an aeroplane on the motorway
    Hope the missus left the landing light on

Time diff at slower speed is very revealing. I travel to Pembrokeshire a lot and the diff if I go within the limits or try and rush came down to about 10 minutes more....
    As an example the difference travelling 150 miles (eg Cardiff to London) at 80 mph against travelling at 65mph is just 20 minutes. People get more stressed when stuck in traffic as opposed to when moving, even at lower speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    As an example the difference travelling 150 miles (eg Cardiff to London) at 80 mph against travelling at 65mph is just 20 minutes. People get more stressed when stuck in traffic as opposed to when moving, even at lower speeds.
    They’ve put the a470 at 50 for a stretch and tbh it’s not an inconvenience over the short distance, but it does become annoying when you’re forced to do 45 because people are paranoid about the cameras. Some people still go fast and slow down for the cameras and speed back up, it’s a real eye opener..

Back on track.. it probably wouldn’t be 50 it would be slower as people always seem to drive under.

I don’t see how a steady 50 solves the issue of 2 lanes.

By the way, has there ever been a less inspiring leader than Drakeford. He looks and sounds like a downtrodden vicar of a small suburban church.
    He always reminds me of a corner shop owner from Carmarthen. Totally out of his depth down here.

I'm no fan of Drakeford but those in favour of a relief road need to take a quick look at what's happened in LA where they've been building more roads to try to make the traffic go away...

Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    I'm no fan of Drakeford but those in favour of a relief road need to take a quick look at what's happened in LA where they've been building more roads to try to make the traffic go away...
    There’s a bit of a population difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    There’s a bit of a population difference.
    Same principal. More roads means more car journeys.