+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Western Mail , The National Newspaper of WALES

The Western Mail , The National Newspaper of WALES

Nothing at all about cardiff city today , nothing

But that famous welshman harry kane , from north London has a fascinating article about that famous welsh club spurs and how they are doing under new management

What a complete shower of shite the welsh media is

Re: The Western Mail , The National Newspaper of WALES

"GET BREXIT DONE!"

My gripe with old Welsh newspapers (including the Western Mail) is that when I'm searching for news items that feature a client's ancestor, I've noticed that they NEVER print ages - so that you don't know if it's actually the ancestor that's involved.
    For example, my wife has an ancestor, William Williams, who I know worked in the Prince of Wales colliery at Abercarn. There was a terrible disaster there in the 1870s when almost 300 lost their lives - but the paper reported that a William Williams was rescued. Was this my wife's ancestor? Just adding (52) to his name would have made a huge difference. William's wife was a widow in 1881 - the aftermath of the disaster?
    Odd when you consider that one of the main reasons people read newspapers is to discover news about other folk. But unless they can be specifically identified(by their age, for example), what is the point? English papers invariably noted ages, btw.
    Anyway, rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    My gripe with old Welsh newspapers (including the Western Mail) is that when I'm searching for news items that feature a client's ancestor, I've noticed that they NEVER print ages - so that you don't know if it's actually the ancestor that's involved.
    For example, my wife has an ancestor, William Williams, who I know worked in the Prince of Wales colliery at Abercarn. There was a terrible disaster there in the 1870s when almost 300 lost their lives - but the paper reported that a William Williams was rescued. Was this my wife's ancestor? Just adding (52) to his name would have made a huge difference. William's wife was a widow in 1881 - the aftermath of the disaster?
    Odd when you consider that one of the main reasons people read newspapers is to discover news about other folk. But unless they can be specifically identified(by their age, for example), what is the point? English papers invariably noted ages, btw.
    Anyway, rant over.
    Rant fully justified

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    "GET BREXIT DONE!"
    It may as well be a tory newspaper based in chigwell , all the fake proud to be welsh crap it spouts is all hot air

Good easy crosswords for the likes of me though

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

But that famous welshman harry kane , from north London has a fascinating article about that famous welsh club spurs and how they are doing under new management

Years ago it was half decent. Sports pages in particular had good football coverage. Been appalling for donkeys years now. Never ever read it.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    "GET BREXIT DONE!"
    You're quite right. That simple but brilliant phrase won it for the liar.

In North Wales they mostly read the Daily Post, also owned by Trinity Mirror. There is no national daily for Wales, unlike Scotland and Ireland which have a truly national press. 'WalesonLine' should really be called SouthWalesOnLine.

Look at the Sports Pages in the Daily Post and all you find is Liverpool, Everton and Man U. When we had the Champions League final here they didn't even mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mansfield View Post
    In North Wales they mostly read the Daily Post, also owned by Trinity Mirror. There is no national daily for Wales, unlike Scotland and Ireland which have a truly national press. 'WalesonLine' should really be called SouthWalesOnLine.

Look at the Sports Pages in the Daily Post and all you find is Liverpool, Everton and Man U. When we had the Champions League final here they didn't even mention it.
    I read the Post occasionally when I'm up that way. Footie all about Merseyside teams, but news much better than WM.

It should be called Rugby Daily, pure and simple

Went to 5 different Asda's looking for Garland's book Fire and Passion without success. Plenty of copies of Eddie Jones' book. I was eventually told by a member of management that Asda hadn't even ordered the book!!.

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    Went to 5 different Asda's looking for Garland's book Fire and Passion without success. Plenty of copies of Eddie Jones' book. I was eventually told by a member of management that Asda hadn't even ordered the book!!.
    Maybe you should have asked for Gatland's book instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Maybe you should have asked for Gatland's book instead.
    Judys last book came out over 20 years ago but does mention a lion so perhaps thats where the confusion is.

Hold my hands up!! You all know who I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    Hold my hands up!! You all know who I mean.
    Of course we do, very condescending replies by the ones who don’t know. A Wurzel but a decent player, Chris Garland, didn’t really work out at Chelsea but I hope it’s a decent read for you when you eventually get his book oooh-arrr

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    You're quite right. That simple but brilliant phrase won it for the liar.
    You just keep supporting the party that back terrorist organisations. Sir Boris will hopefully be the Iron Man as Margaret was the Iron Lady bless her soul 😉😊

Quote Originally Posted by Talksport View Post
    You just keep supporting the party that back terrorist organisations. Sir Boris will hopefully be the Iron Man as Margaret was the Iron Lady bless her soul ����
    Nearly brought my tea up

CardiffCitySince1927

Quote Originally Posted by Talksport View Post
    You just keep supporting the party that back terrorist organisations. Sir Boris will hopefully be the Iron Man as Margaret was the Iron Lady bless her soul ����
    And what about the DUP? Ex-Terrorist turn “politicians” which the tories invested £1b into.
    Keep supporting that racist, homophobic, islamophobic, wife beating, lying, posh american tosspot see how far our country can go before people realise that it was a dreadful idea. Hopefully he turns into the old hag that snatched the milk, caused the current housing crisis and ****ed the welsh over completely. Not even commenting about that war she started, all those lives, due to her losing her grip on power.

Perhaps our new Secretary of State, from Wolverhampton btw, will make an independent Welsh media a policy aim. Then again, why upset the sham that keeps us dancing to London's tune.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I read the Post occasionally when I'm up that way. Footie all about Merseyside teams, but news much better than WM.
    Write what sells.

Wrexham ain’t gonna sell papers over the big 4 NW teams.

If you like Rugby and Farming, the Western Mail is for you

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Anyway, rant over.
    Can you find WWs death (Free BMD?) and order a copy of the death certificate through GRO? It will tell you there the cause of death/location/who reported the death. Useful clues to finding the correct WW. A process of elimination unfortunately. Still, annoying the age isn't reported in the paper.

I’m shocked it still exists! Swear I havent seen it for years

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Can you find WWs death (Free BMD?) and order a copy of the death certificate through GRO? It will tell you there the cause of death/location/who reported the death. Useful clues to finding the correct WW. A process of elimination unfortunately. Still, annoying the age isn't reported in the paper.
    Might be of use. Especially if your WW had a middle name.
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/co...rince+of+Wales

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Thanks for that.
    I write article's in national family history magazines such as Family Tree and Your Family Tree and have published books on local history. So what you wrote had occurred to me.
    There are several problems. Suppose he was injured in the colliery disaster and couldn't work and ended in a Workhouse - a possible scenario. Which Workhouse would it have been? Did they keep records? I've been down this path when researching some else's death and believe me, it's very time consuming. Then again, where would his death have been registered - in the county of his birth (Glam) or the county in which he lived (Mon). And it is William Williams we are discussing here - not Archibold Theodore Willensky. Check out how many WW's died in those counties between 1878 and 1881 - let alone the William William deaths (poor transcriptions). Even if you filter out those who are nowhere near the correct age, it's like finding a straw in a hay stack x £9.25 a shot. For all I know, he was not the WW that escaped from the accident and he may therefore have died between 1871 and 1878.
    It's really down to how badly I want to know. And the answer is not that badly.
    But I appreciate that you took the time to chat about this - genuinely!
    Thanks.

PS I've researched the list of the dead and William Williams. But I don't think he's among them. I'll copy and paste what I've found below of the living.