+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The ticking time bomb of social care

Re: The ticking time bomb of social care

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    You can see why wales is voting Tory now, the levels of ignorance, stupidity and lack of empathy in this thread are staggering.

Some of you have spent your whole lives living in a bubble and seem to have no idea how the wider world works. It’s only going to get worse too.
    I wonder what contribution your posts have made to the net level of ignorance,stupidity,etc on this thread. Perhaps you can free us from our bubbles. Let us know how the "wider world works". I'm always ready to learn.

Where was this?

When my mother was in the Infirmary 18 years ago Social Services were closely involved so when the decision was taken that my mum had to go to a nursing home this was agreed jointly with them and the medical staff.

When my wife needed care support at home,her care package was again a joint decision between social workers and medical staff this time at UHW who gave her a more generous package than I requested.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Where was this?

When my mother was in the Infirmary 18 years ago Social Services were closely involved so when the decision was taken that my mum had to go to a nursing home this was agreed jointly with them and the medical staff.

When my wife needed care support at home,her care package was again a joint decision between social workers and medical staff this time at UHW who gave her a more generous package than I requested.
    That ticking time bomb has well and truly gone off since 18 years ago. If you can get Social Services involved, care is means-tested with a patient contribution capped at £90 per week. My mother had 4x carers per day but was bed ridden, terminally ill, by the time care was sorted. The care is outsourced to private companies who bid for the work. Five weeks of care and she passed away. No chance of getting that care transferred to my ill dad. Start all over again.
    My 91 y.o. dad was taken to A and E yesterday. 10 hours mainly in a corridor on a trolley. The staff have been great but there are still relatives threatening them if they dont attend to their family member straight away.
    Dont worry though. Boris will sort it out (ie more backdoor NHS privatisation).

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    Theodore Dalrymple was a prison psychiatrist who dealt with thousands of addicts. In this clip he says the physical effects of giving up heroin are "trivial".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MTmpbVgn7s

This is a quote from a summary of his book “Junk Medicine: Doctors, Lies and the Addiction Bureaucracy” :

"Almost everything you know about heroin addiction is wrong. Not only is it wrong, but it is obviously wrong. Heroin is not highly addictive; withdrawal from it is not medically serious; addicts do not become criminals to feed their habit; addicts do not need any medical assistance to stop taking heroin; and contrary to received wisdom, heroin addiction most certainly IS a moral or spiritual problem."

Here's a review of the book :

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ut-heroin.html
    There are thousands of psychiatrists and substance misuse workers who would completely refute this man's work

And the fact its reviewed in the torygraph says it all

Withdrawal from heroin is very hard

You have a sort of evangelical god squad I am allright jack attitude to this subject which would be worrying if it was widespread among the medical community

Thankfully they are more compassionate and realise it's far more than a pull yourself together , eat your greens and everything will be ok situation

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    That ticking time bomb has well and truly gone off since 18 years ago. If you can get Social Services involved, care is means-tested with a patient contribution capped at £90 per week. My mother had 4x carers per day but was bed ridden, terminally ill, by the time care was sorted. The care is outsourced to private companies who bid for the work. Five weeks of care and she passed away. No chance of getting that care transferred to my ill dad. Start all over again.
    My 91 y.o. dad was taken to A and E yesterday. 10 hours mainly in a corridor on a trolley. The staff have been great but there are still relatives threatening them if they dont attend to their family member straight away.
    Dont worry though. Boris will sort it out (ie more backdoor NHS privatisation).
    Its fecking disgraceful , my mother had two serious infections over the summer and only now have they all come together

But I don't blame social services or the NHS .......its best that older people are looked after at home but central government have for ten years starved the service providers of cash , we have private carers who are employed by the council and you can see the difference .......first six weeks she was under the council resettlement team who were all fully trained care workers , the private carers who were awarded the contract are all pleasant enough but the standard of care isn't very good , it's a no win situation

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    There are thousands of psychiatrists and substance misuse workers who would completely refute this man's work

And the fact its reviewed in the torygraph says it all

Withdrawal from heroin is very hard

You have a sort of evangelical god squad I am allright jack attitude to this subject which would be worrying if it was widespread among the medical community

Thankfully they are more compassionate and realise it's far more than a pull yourself together , eat your greens and everything will be ok situation
    The mans a right wing evangelical crackpot

He even has two names ! His real name is Tony

He's god squad and right wing god squad which is even worse

Anyway I am going back to the issue of social care , it's what this thread is about , my old dear is tea total and has always eaten healthily and prayed in church every sunday but finds herself with severe mobility problems needing nursing care

I suppose it's her fault somewhere along the way

Maybe she wasn't spiritual enough as Tony, sorry Theodore would suggest

I wonder what contribution your posts have made to the net level of ignorance,stupidity,etc on this thread. Perhaps you can free us from our bubbles. Let us know how the "wider world works". I'm always ready to learn.
    No I think you are pretty evangelical in what you KNOW to be the cause and treatment of societies ills

Eat your greens , pray , run five miles a day and make sure you have a happy childhood , everything will be ok then

Its fecking disgraceful , my mother had two serious infections over the summer and only now have they all come together

But I don't blame social services or the NHS .......its best that older people are looked after at home but central government have for ten years starved the service providers of cash , we have private carers who are employed by the council and you can see the difference .......first six weeks she was under the council resettlement team who were all fully trained care workers , the private carers who were awarded the contract are all pleasant enough but the standard of care isn't very good , it's a no win situation
    This/\
    It's a battle for who picks up the reigns between family doctors (in my mum's case one told me they had nothing to do with social service referrals...rubbish), Community Resource Team who have their own "success" criteria , private care operators who pay a pittance but want the work and send anyone they can who is available via an App, District Nurses (will change bandages and dressings but not wash a patient) and family...try your damndest but get worn down by the system. On the other hand you can go for private residential accommodation at around a grand or more a week. So long as you can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    This/\
    It's a battle for who picks up the reigns between family doctors (in my mum's case one told me they had nothing to do with social service referrals...rubbish), Community Resource Team who have their own "success" criteria , private care operators who pay a pittance but want the work and send anyone they can who is available via an App, District Nurses (will change bandages and dressings but not wash a patient) and family...try your damndest but get worn down by the system. On the other hand you can go for private residential accommodation at around a grand or more a week. So long as you can afford it.
    Its driven me to the shrink , once when my old man had alzheimer's and more recently with the old dear

The outsourcing of social care to private companies and private residential accommodation is as I have stated , a ticking time bomb

Boris and his wonderful tories have done feck all for ten years , they need to provide funding to local authorities to build council run residential care homes for the very ill and provide cash to the local authorities so they can provide fully trained home care for the elderly who wish to stay at home and to ease the burden on the families that can take on some of the caring role .......not line the pockets of the owners of private care homes or the owners of private care companies who pay crap wages to their over worked staff

Welcome to boris land 2020

I didn't vote for the idiot but a hell of a lot of people are going to regret doing so

The mans a right wing evangelical crackpot

He even has two names ! His real name is Tony

He's god squad and right wing god squad which is even worse

Anyway I am going back to the issue of social care , it's what this thread is about , my old dear is tea total and has always eaten healthily and prayed in church every sunday but finds herself with severe mobility problems needing nursing care

I suppose it's her fault somewhere along the way

Maybe she wasn't spiritual enough as Tony, sorry Theodore would suggest
    As far as I know Theodore Dalrymple has no religious beliefs. I have been an admirer of his writings and wisdom for more than 30 years. When future historians try to explain what went wrong in the UK they will turn to the writings of Theodore Dalrymple (Dr Anthony Daniels). I’m shocked that you don’t seem to know much about him.

This is a good short biography of him :

http://www.skepticaldoctor.com/life/

As far as I know Theodore Dalrymple has no religious beliefs. I have been an admirer of his writings and wisdom for more than 30 years. When future historians try to explain what went wrong in the UK they will turn to the writings of Theodore Dalrymple (Dr Anthony Daniels). I’m shocked that you don’t seem to know much about him.

This is a good short biography of him :

http://www.skepticaldoctor.com/life/
    The mans a crackpot

If he was of any note he would be editor of the lancet instead of setting himself as a medical messiah

No I think you are pretty evangelical in what you KNOW to be the cause and treatment of societies ills

Eat your greens , pray , run five miles a day and make sure you have a happy childhood , everything will be ok then
    I’m not saying that if you look after yourself everything will end up well. We are all going to die. But if you accept responsibility for your own health then you might enjoy your later years a bit more than average. Also when you look after yourself you are lessening the burden on the health services. The money spent on our health services is not unlimited. Every penny spend on a druggie or alcoholic means less money for children and others who are ill through no fault of their own.

What steps are you taking to reduce the chance that you will need to be looked after when you are old? If you think this care is bad now just wait another 20 or 30 years.

I’m not saying that if you look after yourself everything will end up well. We are all going to die. But if you accept responsibility for your own health then you might enjoy your later years a bit more than average. Also when you look after yourself you are lessening the burden on the health services. The money spent on our health services is not unlimited. Every penny spend on a druggie or alcoholic means less money for children and others who are ill through no fault of their own.

What steps are you taking to reduce the chance that you will need to be looked after when you are old? If you think this care is bad now just wait another 20 or 30 years.
    I don't smoke or drink , hows that

You’re coming from a position of a privilege though. What about people who are born into struggling families and poverty or other difficult situations or have a poor education. It’s a lot more difficult to ensure you’re going to be ok if you’re not ok in the first place.

It's a start. How about your diet and exercise.

"I don't smoke or drink , hows that "

You’re coming from a position of a privilege though. What about people who are born into struggling families and poverty or other difficult situations or have a poor education. It’s a lot more difficult to ensure you’re going to be ok if you’re not ok in the first place.
    I had no privileges. I was brought up on a typical South Wales council estate. You don't need an education to eat well and exercise.

You need a stable upbringing to stand a chance, you don’t have to be rich to be privileged. All it takes is a shit parent, one bit of trauma, one bit of bad luck and you can be ****ed mentally and on a slippery slope for your whole life. Mental health is a fragile thing.

You need a stable upbringing to stand a chance, you don’t have to be rich to be privileged. All it takes is a shit parent, one bit of trauma, one bit of bad luck and you can be ****ed mentally and on a slippery slope for your whole life. Mental health is a fragile thing.
    I've known completely normal people who have come from families so dysfunctional that if you put it in a novel no one would believe it. Don't confuse mental health and unhappiness. Some of the people seeking solace from life's problems via drugs and prescriptions would be better off taking responsibility for their own health and mental state.

We don’t put our newborn babies into care. We look after them and nurture them and organise our working day around them. So why are we quick to put our parents into care ?
    A lot of old folk have big families who can’t be bothered to look after them when they most need it.
    Most countries in Europe and all over the world look after their ageing and I’ll parents/grandparents, and many have them living with them.
    If this was common practice here, then there would be more funds available for old folk with no families.
    Same as the NHS. You can throw as much cash as you can at it, but if folk use it thoughtfully and sparingly, as it’s meant to be, and take a bit of responsibility for their health, it would thrive.
    Unemployment benefit. In the 80’s most folk were horrified to have to rely on this, where as now a lot of people treat it as a way of life.
    I’m no Tory voter and never have been, but I get fed up of folk laying the blame at there Door all the time. It’s easy to blame someone else all the time. Labour have been in power many times in my lifetime, and things have never been great under them either.
    It’s a hard job trying to keep 60m people happy.
    Ffs sake we can’t keep 100 posters on here happy and in agreement!
    The folk in life who most need funds and help have long been swamped by the greedy and the lazy, but hey, it’s so much easier to blame the governments.

I've known completely normal people who have come from families so dysfunctional that if you put it in a novel no one would believe it. Don't confuse mental health and unhappiness. Some of the people seeking solace from life's problems via drugs and prescriptions would be better off taking responsibility for their own health and mental state.
    It doesn’t happen to everyone all I’m saying is it’s easy to say just look after yourself when you’re lucky enough to come from a good background. Not everyone is as lucky as us.

"I don't smoke or drink , hows that "

Do you think your evangelical approach to health applies to a young woman who was abused by her uncle and left home at 16 and found herself homeless on the streets of cardiff , got drawn into heroin , drawn into prostitution to pay for her habit , beaten by clients , beaten by her pimp etc

Shes a druggie as you put it , do you think you and your doctor mate vcan save her by telling her to do a few sit ups ?

Do you think her post traumatic stress disorder from being abused will be sorted out by eating more fibre ?

You are off your head

[QUOTE=David Vincent;5031787]I've known completely normal people who have come from families so dysfunctional that if you put it in a novel no one would believe it. Don't confuse mental health and unhappiness. Some of the people seeking solace from life's problems via drugs and prescriptions would be better off taking responsibility for their own health and mental state.[/QUOT

You and your doctor guru are the ones confusing mental health and unhappiness , it stands out by a country mile

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    We don’t put our newborn babies into care. We look after them and nurture them and organise our working day around them. So why are we quick to put our parents into care ?

Loads of new born babies are put into care and have a shocking and traumatic childhood

A lot of old folk have big families who can’t be bothered to look after them when they most need it.
    Most countries in Europe and all over the world look after their ageing and I’ll parents/grandparents, and many have them living with them.
    If this was common practice here, then there would be more funds available for old folk with no families.
    Same as the NHS. You can throw as much cash as you can at it, but if folk use it thoughtfully and sparingly, as it’s meant to be, and take a bit of responsibility for their health, it would thrive.
    Unemployment benefit. In the 80’s most folk were horrified to have to rely on this, where as now a lot of people treat it as a way of life.

Thatcher brought in incapacity benefit to keep the unemployment figures down , it was prevalent in the heavy industry areas where work had taken its toll on the workforce , it wasn't a choice

I’m no Tory voter and never have been, but I get fed up of folk laying the blame at there Door all the time. It’s easy to blame someone else all the time. Labour have been in power many times in my lifetime, and things have never been great under them either.
    It’s a hard job trying to keep 60m people happy.
    Ffs sake we can’t keep 100 posters on here happy and in agreement!
    The folk in life who most need funds and help have long been swamped by the greedy and the lazy, but hey, it’s so much easier to blame the governments.
    Gross exaggeration, most people on benefits are neither greedy nor lazy , the sun , daily mail and stupid benefit scroungers programmes make it seem so

Gross exaggeration, most people on benefits are neither greedy nor lazy , the sun , daily mail and stupid benefit scroungers programmes make it seem so
    Well said Sludge