+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 40 years ago today at the Vetch

tpcnw

40 years ago today at the Vetch

1 January 1980 was the famous game at the Vetch when John Toshack and David Giles, both brought up near Ninian Park, scored against Cardiff in a 2-1 win for Swansea in front of a crowd of over 21000. Giles's winner was very late - 93rd minute.

Cardiff ended the season in 15th and Swansea 11th. Almost the same positions as now.

Re: 40 years ago today at the Vetch

I don't think the game will be remembered, but all the off pitch activity certainly will

I was there, we were all behind the goal that Swansea scored their winner in. Quite a feisty occasion as I recall, but can't believe it's 40 years today. I think john Lewis scored for us. Big crowd of 21,000 which is good for them...we were obviously a big attraction!

to be a bit pedantic the positions are 9th and 10th at the moment

I was there that day too. We were squeezed together like sardines behind that goal.

All ticket game but a group of around 50 Bluebirds, including Frankie Humphries, and a number of Barry boys (Dessie, Donald and Veggy) found themselves on the North Bank and were very vocal especially when City equalised. The SWP then decided that they should watch the rest of the game with the main City contingent who were behind the goal under the old Double Decker stand.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I don't think the game will be remembered, but all the off pitch activity certainly will
    Is that when the because of New Year’s Day chant arose? I did wonder