+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic, Geetars

Off Topic, Geetars

I read this Morning that the Iconic Green Telecaster of Francis Rossi has sold for £19,000.00, he bought it second hand for £75.00, obviously there are more famous vintage Geetars, Clapton's Black Strat being one of many, but If I had dough!!! then it's this green Telecaster I'd want to own.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...tion-119k.html

Re: Off Topic, Geetars

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I read this Morning that the Iconic Green Telecaster of Francis Rossi has sold for £19,000.00, he bought it second hand for £75.00, obviously there are more famous vintage Geetars, Clapton's Black Strat being one of many, but If I had dough!!! then it's this green Telecaster I'd want to own.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...tion-119k.html

I've always wondered how people distinguish between a brilliant guitar player and an average one, or one that's not very good. I hear people say that certain players are brilliant etc, but to me they all sound fantastic unless it's glaringly obvious that they're shit.

I reckon that i can spot a decent footballer because i've played and been coached, i sort of understand the game, is that the same with music, how can other people hear something that i can't? or maybe i can!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I've always wondered how people distinguish between a brilliant guitar player and an average one, or one that's not very good. I hear people say that certain players are brilliant etc, but to me they all sound fantastic unless it's glaringly obvious that they're shit.

I reckon that i can spot a decent footballer because i've played and been coached, i sort of understand the game, is that the same with music, how can other people hear something that i can't? or maybe i can!
    I think you may be right. I've played guitar for many, many years and although I'm bang average I reckon I can tell a good player when I hear one.

That green Tele is lush!

This is all about the Guitar not the player , 1973 and always watching top of the pops, 12 years old a wanna be guitarist,
    in a School band at St Illtyds, endless arguments with Quo fans who thought that Rossi was better than Dave Hill (He was, but I wasn't having it ,
    the Telecaster is my favourite guitar, I still have one, Caroline is my daughters name, but getting back to axemen/women
    I've always favoured guitarists that create a sound rather than playing 500 MPH, Brian May, Mark Knopfler, The edge etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    I think you may be right. I've played guitar for many, many years and although I'm bang average I reckon I can tell a good player when I hear one.

That green Tele is lush!
    That's what i mean, your ear is more educated than mine when it comes to music, you can probably spot certain intricacies that i can't. If i hear a song and i like it, then i like it! I have no idea how gifted the musicians are.

£19k is a bargain, but I wouldn't pay £119k for it! I also heard the guitar has been knackered for a long time and doesn't play very well

When I was growing up it was all about football, music & clothes. Happy days

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    £19k is a bargain, but I wouldn't pay £119k though I also heard the guitar has been knackered for a long time and doesn't play well
    19k, quack quack oops visitor knocked the door before i had time to proof so just pressed submit honest

That's what i mean, your ear is more educated than mine when it comes to music, you can probably spot certain intricacies that i can't. If i hear a song and i like it, then i like it! I have no idea how gifted the musicians are.
    There are two aspects to consider, either playing for the song, or overplaying to make yourself the centre of attention (and a bit of a tw@t). I prefer the less is more approach, and here is a good example. Ronnie Wood on guitar, and Ronnie Lane on bass were at the top of their game.

There are two aspects to consider, either playing for the song, or overplaying to make yourself the centre of attention (and a bit of a tw@t). I prefer the less is more approach, and here is a good example. Ronnie Wood on guitar, and Ronnie Lane on bass were at the top of their game.

Thanks for that. I still don't understand how people can tell the difference between really good and average. I can understand someone who has been trained in music spotting the differences but not the average punter. Maybe i'm trying to be to logical and if it sounds good then it's good?

This is all about the Guitar not the player , 1973 and always watching top of the pops, 12 years old a wanna be guitarist,
    in a School band at St Illtyds, endless arguments with Quo fans who thought that Rossi was better than Dave Hill (He was, but I wasn't having it ,
    the Telecaster is my favourite guitar, I still have one, Caroline is my daughters name, but getting back to axemen/women
    I've always favoured guitarists that create a sound rather than playing 500 MPH, Brian May, Mark Knopfler, The edge etc.
    The best metal bands play it slow

Slayer used to do a load of fret wanking in their early days but they are at their most menacing when they let their sabbath grinding riffing shine through

Thanks for that. I still don't understand how people can tell the difference between really good and average. I can understand someone who has been trained in music spotting the differences but not the average punter. Maybe i'm trying to be to logical and if it sounds good then it's good?
    You don't have to be technically brilliant to be a good guitar player. I think if the guitar player stands out too much, then he's probably trying too hard. The same is true of football, a team player will always be valuable to the team.

1973 and always watching top of the pops, 12 years old a wanna be guitarist, in a School band at St Illtyds, endless arguments with Quo fans who thought that Rossi was better than Dave Hill (He was, but I wasn't having it
    The correct answer is Mick Ronson

You don't have to be technically brilliant to be a good guitar player. I think if the guitar player stands out, then he's probably trying too hard. The same is true of football, a team player will always be valuable to the team.
    The edge, it's all delay, repeats, harmonics etc. they say when trashing him, but he does better than anybody else doing this stuff and that's what makes him stand out, there are millions of EVH out there.

A lot of it does come down to personal preference mind. What you may consider "overplaying" is just what some songs need, the best guitarists find a balance between the two.

Matt Bellamy from Muse is a good example of this, he knows when to "show off" to a certain extent but also when to hold back

I hate endless solos , for me it's all about the sound not the speed

The who had it sorted on occasion , a great back line rhythm section and simple snappy guitar from big nose

The jam were the same

Metal wise it has to be sabbath , a lot of their material has no solos at all , just grinding distorted demonic riffing at slow speed

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    A lot of it does come down to personal preference mind. What you may consider "overplaying" is just what some songs need, the best guitarists find a balance between the two.

Matt Bellamy from Muse is a good example of this, he knows when to "show off" to a certain extent but also when to hold back
    The biggest revolt against overplaying was punk rock, and it was based on the playing of a handful of early 70's guitarists. I don't mind a bit of fancy playing, and I like John Frusciante who can rip with the best of them, but he also knows when to play for the song. It takes a lot of restraint to do that.

The edge, it's all delay, repeats, harmonics etc. they say when trashing him, but he does better than anybody else doing this stuff and that's what makes him stand out, there are millions of EVH out there.
    I will follow , bad , classic simple riffs

In my life by the Beatles, timeless

Actually the Beatles were quite heavy

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

The who had it sorted on occasion , a great back line rhythm section and simple snappy guitar from big nose

The jam were the same

Metal wise it has to be sabbath , a lot of their material has no solos at all , just grinding distorted demonic riffing at slow speed
    That's why you can listen to a wide range of music.

The biggest revolt against overplaying was punk rock, and it was based on the playing of a handful of early 70's guitarists. I don't mind a bit of fancy playing, and I like John Frusciante who can rip with the best of them, but he also knows when to play for the song. It takes a lot of restraint to do that.
    That's what I mean, the best guitarists recognise when to go for it and when to hold back

James iha from the smashing pumpkins is the master of the understated riff

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    That's what I mean, the best guitarists recognise when to go for it and when to hold back
    Which isn't so easy to do when you've got an electric guitar in your hands that is plugged into a 100w amp and a 4x12 Marshall stack

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

The jam were the same

I saw Richie Blackmore and Tony iommi within a year of each other mid 70,s and I thought Iommi edged it, both brilliant players but the sound of Iommi was just better.

I saw Richie Blackmore and Tony iommi within a year of each other mid 70,s and I thought Iommi edged it, both brilliant players but the sound of Iommi was just better.
    Yes I saw them both and I love purple and sabbath

The simple riffing of flight of the rat by blackmore is matched by symptom of the universe by sabbath

Paul Kossoff

I love both of those, but for me Iommi is a very good player who wrote a load of amazing riffs. Blackmore was different class.