+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic, Geetars

Re: Off Topic, Geetars

Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    I love both of those, but for me Iommi is a very good player who wrote a load of amazing riffs. Blackmore was different class.
    Iommi is the RIFF KING. No one will ever come close.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Iommi is the RIFF KING. No one will ever come close.
    Agree 100% about Iommi. My personal fave riff is that chuggy one at around 3.20 in Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Decades ahead of it's time.

Personally though, I think Blackmore's lead playing was on a different level.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The correct answer is Mick Ronson
    Massively under-rated guitarist. Didn't muck around, just did what needed superbly. My second ever gig was to see Mick Ronson on his first solo tour.

I own two electric guitars (cheapo versions). I can't play a note but I bought them to hang on my wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I saw Richie Blackmore and Tony iommi within a year of each other mid 70,s and I thought Iommi edged it, both brilliant players but the sound of Iommi was just better.
    Black Sabbath was my second ever gig. Supported by Badger and Necramandus at the Capitol for the princely sum of 75p.
    A bit of a hike compared with my first gig: Budgie supported by Judas Priest at Barry Memorial Hall at 50p.
    Went back to Barry Memorial Hall for my third gig: Man supported by Deke Leonard's Iceberg.

I'm boring myself now..........

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Massively under-rated guitarist. Didn't muck around, just did what needed superbly. My second ever gig was to see Mick Ronson on his first solo tour.
    There is a clip on YouTube where he plays Gene Genie on a Telecaster and it sounds just like a Les Paul .. proof that the sound is all in the fingers

There is a clip on YouTube where he plays Gene Genie on a Telecaster and it sounds just like a Les Paul .. proof that the sound is all in the fingers
    That presumes a great deal.
    What pick-ups and amp was he using?
    It's so easy to simulate a Les Paul sound - even more so these days with plug-ins and FX processors.

I've given a lot of thought to how to define great guitarists and concluded that it's a very individual choice (no surprise there!) and you can tell who you think is great by how often you listen to them playing.
    I acknowledge that Hendrix was a trail-blazer, but I can't listen to him playing for long.
    Blackmore: I can listen to in his early Purple days, but he loses his neo-classical touch for several of his Rainbow solos.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    It's so easy to simulate a Les Paul sound - even more so these days with plug-ins and FX processors.

I've given a lot of thought to how to define great guitarists and concluded that it's a very individual choice (no surprise there!) and you can tell who you think is great by how often you listen to them playing.
    I acknowledge that Hendrix was a trail-blazer, but I can't listen to him playing for long.
    Blackmore: I can listen to in his early Purple days, but he loses his neo-classical touch for several of his Rainbow solos.
    It was a bog standard Tele with single-coils into a small amp, while he was doing an off-stage interview. I own both and they sound totally different in my hands

Thinly veiled OP can’t spell getar

It was a bog standard Tele with single-coils into a small amp, while he was doing an off-stage interview. I own both and they sound totally different in my hands
    I'd forgotten you had a great collection of guitars.
    Excuse me being slightly disbelieving, but could you take a reading of the impedence outputs of both PUs, please.

I've recently bought two Yamaha Revstars - a 620 and a 720. They are brilliant and sound just like a Les Paul!

I'd forgotten you had a great collection of guitars.
    Excuse me being slightly disbelieving, but could you take a reading of the impedence outputs of both PUs, please.

I've recently bought two Yamaha Revstars - a 620 and a 720. They are brilliant and sound just like a Les Paul!
    You must have Les Paul fingers

I noticed Mick Robson hits the strings quite hard and uses a lot of vibrato, so it's not so easy to sound like him with all his unique energy going into his playing. His Bowie era stuff was fantastic.

You must have Les Paul fingers
    Nah - it's the Dry Switch pull knob...

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    James iha from the smashing pumpkins is the master of the understated riff
    All of the song writing and most of the guitar work on Smashing Pumpkins records is done by Billy Corgan.

Open G or drop D tuning?

If you want to listen to a genius guitar player and be able to tell you're listening to a genius guitar player you could do a lot worse than listening to Johhny Maar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JU3bogr4oc

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Paul Kossoff
    Great call with Koss 👏

I think Peter Green's tone and playing was simply beautiful.

Jimi Hendrix always stated that he loved Steve Cropper as a rhythm guitarist and certainly can see why.

However, I think Jimi was truly on another planet.

A very brief excerpt of Machine Gun from 50 years ago, in the opinions of many of the greatest guitarists is as good as it gets.

I really can't disagree with all of them.

https://youtu.be/0lPQb7aVdvw

Lady Axers, all outstanding

Garbage..now we know you are limited on football knowledge but here you are right out of your depth.
    Find a guitarist that can make a strat sound like a les paul or a fender precision like a wal ...good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Garbage..now we know you are limited on football knowledge but here you are right out of your depth.
    Find a guitarist that can make a strat sound like a les paul or a fender precision like a wal ...good luck
    If you watch the video, it was Mick Ronson himself who made the claim! Now I can't make my Les Paul & Telecaster sound the same, but clearly Mick Ronson can

A band my lad played in, the lead AXE had a Line 6, a footswitch, with loadsa pre-set sounds dialled in, he basically could make his Strat sound like what he wanted via this set-up, whilst Ronno wouldn't have had the gizmos back then, modern guitarists have a wealth of tools to make their set-ups sound to whatever they wish.

A band my lad played in, the lead AXE had a Line 6, a footswitch, with loadsa pre-set sounds dialled in, he basically could make his Strat sound like what he wanted via this set-up, whilst Ronno wouldn't have had the gizmos back then, modern guitarists have a wealth of tools to make their set-ups sound to whatever they wish.
    They sound similair. I have a line 6 and i'm not kidding anyone.A pro will choose an axe of choice and not try to make something else sound like it.
    End of lesson:P

Mick Robson dimed his amps, hit the strings fairly hard and used vibrato. In his setup all the sound is coming from his fingers. I always use clean amps with the Tele, and Marshall type amps for the Lester, but I am looking for contrast instead of consistent sound. I play them differently too.

They sound similair. I have a line 6 and i'm not kidding anyone.A pro will choose an axe of choice and not try to make something else sound like it.
    End of lesson:P
    A skint guitarist knocking out covers in a boozer for a bit of extra cash, and who cannot afford to buy his dream has to make do and make his axe sound to what is needed but i do take your point!!!