+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City open talks to extend Lee Tomlin's contract

Cardiff City open talks to extend Lee Tomlin's contract

Cardiff City have opened talks with Lee Tomlin about extending his stay with the club.

The 30-year-old midfielder's existing deal runs out at the end of the season.

Tomlin has been a stand-out player for the Championship club since the arrival of manager Neil Harris in October after struggling for recognition under previous boss Neil Warnock.

Harris said "initial discussions" have already taken place with the player over a contract extension.

A new deal would represent a remarkable change of fortunes for the player signed from Bristol City in 2017 for almost £3m.

Tomlin has been loaned to Peterborough and Nottingham Forest during his time at Cardiff after failing to command a regular place under Warnock.

But Harris has brought the best out of the player who has scored four times and provided five assists in Cardiff's past nine outings.

Tomlin recently said he had been rejuvenated and wanted to extend his Cardiff stay.

Harris said: "First and foremost the question is - is he enjoying himself at the moment, is he enjoying his football and is he happy?

"Well the answer to that is 'yes', he is extremely happy.

"And the second question is, am I happy with him as manager of the club, do I see him in my plans moving forward?

"I think you all know the answer to that because I have played him. I have played him regularly and have played him for 90 minutes and let him go about his business.

"So our relationship is hugely strong. Would I like to see him tie his future down at the club moving forward? Yes I would - and so would the club.

"It's safe for me to say we have had initial discussions with Lee and we are trying to tie him down."

Defender Lee Peltier, 33, is another Cardiff player out of contract this summer and Harris is keen to explore the possibility of the former Liverpool trainee remaining.

Harris said: "I am fully aware of his age. He is not the right back he was five or seven years ago - bombing up and down the line. But players of 'Pelts' quality and the qualities he possesses as a man are important in the group.

"He is another player that I will be looking to discuss where he is at. And where he sees himself."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50863503

Re: Cardiff City open talks to extend Lee Tomlin's contract

Love to see a player trying well in a run up to a new contract

Don't extend before christmas - he'll come back 2 stone heavier.

International

Not many of us would ever have expected to read that headline a few months ago, would we.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Sceptic in me thinks the same. Although from a financial point of view he would probably decline the offer and get a similar wage elsewhere along with a signing on fee.

I'm hoping he genuinely is enjoying his football and can continue playing as he has been. A fantastic player at this level when he wants to be.

Isn’t it in a players interests to be consistently good though?

I don’t get this cynicism.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

It should be

but look at Lee's case, he came back fitter than ever at pre-season, great stuff, but its the last year of his contract, what might have been if he has been a true professional and dont it straight from the start

Maybe all players should get one year contracts! 🤪

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

Don't you think we deserved to see more of this ,considering what we paid for him and his wages , it was down to him to apply himself ?

i'd extend by one year at a time ,he either wants it or he doesn't

I think for the last few weeks he’s been brilliant. He’s been an actual joy to watch and one of the performers of the championship. But I can’t ignore the fact he’s been pathetic up until this season - Fat, lazy and uninterested.

I say sell him now while we have him at his peak because if we give him a long contract we’re screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Don't extend before christmas - he'll come back 2 stone heavier.

Funny but one could easily imagine this being the case and if so, not half as funny if turned out that way.

Hang fire Neil til at least the Epiphany.

If the cynics are right, then what does it say about the men who gave him his first contract in the first place - in particular, the manager who signed him?

Tomlin didn't help himself in his first two seasons with us, but I saw him play superbly and try his heart out in a nothing under 23 match against Leeds early last season

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/tomlin...elopment-side/

and it got him absolutely nowhere with Neil Warnock - let's face it, it was only desperation which made Warnock turn to him this season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If the cynics are right, then what does it say about the men who gave him his first contract in the first place - in particular, the manager who signed him?

Tomlin didn't help himself in his first two seasons with us, but I saw him play superbly and try his heart out in a nothing under 23 match against Leeds early last season

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/tomlin...elopment-side/

and it got him absolutely nowhere with Neil Warnock - let's face it, it was only desperation which made Warnock turn to him this season.
    In Warnocks defence though Bob giving everything on the pitch is one thing if you arent living the correct life off it then your going to struggle.

Lee Tomlin should have had a far better career. At the moment he looks at the top of his game playing 90 minutes and I hope he signs a new deal and doesn't let himself and the club down. Im pretty sure if Warnock was still manager hed still be a bit part player at best..

Don't you think we deserved to see more of this ,considering what we paid for him and his wages , it was down to him to apply himself ?

i'd extend by one year at a time ,he either wants it or he doesn't
    Had a manager that didn’t want to play him along with his personal issues to deal with, both are gone and look at what we’re getting as a result.. a better looking Tomlin.