Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fallon Sherrock

Fallon Sherrock

Beats the 11th seed Sujovic 3-1!

Re: Fallon Sherrock

‘The best bull I’ve ever hit in my life!’

That was absolutely fantastic.

Excellent & totally deserved. Suljovic blows hot & cold and she always had a chance. Chris Dobey will be a different proposition.

Fantastic out, but the crowd are spoiling it. Bunch of tossers tbh

i love how she seems totally unfazed. just gets on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    i love how she seems totally unfazed. just gets on with it.
    Yes. Most women, if they use the mirrors in a car, get out their make up bag.

I don’t understand why it’s anything special?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Seriously?

Or me.

It’s not a physical sport, it’s hand eye coordination which men and women have.

Should be more women playing at her level if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Or me.

It’s not a physical sport, it’s hand eye coordination which men and women have.

Should be more women playing at her level if anything.
    This. It’s just practice.

Sexism alive and well in TLG towers

This. It’s just practice.

Sexism alive and well in TLG towers
    Was talking about it to a mate Thursday and pointed this out, well done to her and all that but it’s no great achievement is it, with practice we could see plenty more women in darts.

Now if we were talking about the no 1 female tennis player in the world beating the 100th ranked men’s player, that would be something!!

Was talking about it to a mate Thursday and pointed this out, well done to her and all that but it’s no great achievement is it, with practice we could see plenty more women in darts.
    I guess the point is there isn’t enough money in the women’s game to do professional, they therefore have to work and therefore don’t have the time to practice

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    I guess the point is there isn’t enough money in the women’s game to do professional, they therefore have to work and therefore don’t have the time to practice
    Probably it.

How many of the men make enough to be pro anyway?

Probably it.

How many of the men make enough to be pro anyway?
    The top 50 make around £100k over 2 years in prize money, plus more in sponsorship. That's without exhibitions, non-ranking events.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    The BDO has a women's tour. The PDC does not, but anyone can try to qualify for a tour card. Very few women attempt to get a tour card.

Let's see if it isn't much of an achievement.

At the BDO Women's World Championship, an average above 90 has been achieved 5 times in the tournament's 19 year history. By way of comparison, 50 of the 64 2nd round winners at this year's PDC World Championship hit averages over 90. 20 of the 38 finalists at the Women's WC hit averages under 80, whereas 18 of the 38 finalists at the PDC WC have managed averages over 100.

There is a massive gulf between the men's and women's games. Victories for women over men at the highest level are extremely rare. Sherrock's performances have been ok by PDC World Championship standards. Her overall tournament average is the 26th best. However, by managing 2 90+ averages, she's achieved more than any female dart player has ever managed in a TV major tournament. 2 successive victories over men is more than any female dart player has ever managed on TV. Her two averages from this tournament would currently be ranked 3rd and 4th best of all time for the Women's World Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

At the BDO Women's World Championship, an average above 90 has been achieved 5 times in the tournament's 19 year history. By way of comparison, 50 of the 64 2nd round winners at this year's PDC World Championship hit averages over 90. 20 of the 38 finalists at the Women's WC hit averages under 80, whereas 18 of the 38 finalists at the PDC WC have managed averages over 100.

There is a massive gulf between the men's and women's games. Victories for women over men at the highest level are extremely rare. Sherrock's performances have been ok by PDC World Championship standards. Her overall tournament average is the 26th best. However, by managing 2 90+ averages, she's achieved more than any female dart player has ever managed in a TV major tournament. 2 successive victories over men is more than any female dart player has ever managed on TV. Her two averages from this tournament would currently be ranked 3rd and 4th best of all time for the Women's World Championship.
    You are missing the point. There is no physical reason why a female darts player can’t become as good as a male player.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    You are missing the point. There is no physical reason why a female darts player can’t become as good as a male player.
    Then why don't we get professional women dart players? The financial incentive is there to get to the top. Why don't women play as well as men? My understanding is that this isn't just true of the professional end of the game, but at grass roots level as well.

There might not be a physical reason why women couldn't be successful as men at darts, but that obviously hasn't happened. Sherrock will be an inspiration for women who play the game and has done something no woman has done in the sport. Washing it away because there's no reason women couldn't be as good as men misses the point entirely.

Then why don't we get professional women dart players? The financial incentive is there to get to the top. Why don't women play as well as men? My understanding is that this isn't just true of the professional end of the game, but at grass roots level as well.

There might not be a physical reason why women couldn't be successful as men at darts, but that obviously hasn't happened. Sherrock will be an inspiration for women who play the game and has done something no woman has done in the sport. Washing it away because there's no reason women couldn't be as good as men misses the point entirely.
    Nobody is washing it away. It’s a great achievement. The point I’m making though, is it’s no great shock.
    It’s physically possible, where as in other sports like boxing, tennis and weightlifting, it is physically impossible for a woman to be as good as the men.
    Nothing sinister or sexist. Just a fact.

Back to my other point, it’s hand eye coordination. It shouldn’t be about if you’re a man or a woman, it’s not a physical sport where you’d expect men to beat women.
    In reality we should see more women beating men.

Back to my other point, it’s hand eye coordination. It shouldn’t be about if you’re a man or a woman, it’s not a physical sport where you’d expect men to beat women.
    We should, but we don't. So that needs to be explained. There must be a logical reason.

I think the poster who said it was down to the amount of practice has hit the nail on the head. To do that, you need to be supported somehow and there is a system for men that generally isn't there for women to the same degree.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    We should, but we don't. So that needs to be explained. There must be a logical reason.

I think the poster who said it was down to the amount of practice has hit the nail on the head. To do that, you need to be supported somehow and there is a system for men that generally isn't there for women to the same degree.
    Agree, i think that it's quite simple, women just haven't had the chance to be introduced to the game, it's the same with alot of sports, there just hasn't been the platform for them or the encouragement and that's why it's quite a pivotal thing to happen in the Darts world. Because of women's roll in society alot of them haven't been able to get into sport like men have, things are changing but traditionally it's been women who have looked after the kids, cooked, cleaned etc while men have had the opportunity to go out and play sports at whatever level, women haven't had that opportunity.

I don't disagree with that. However, in terms of women playing darts, what Sherrock has done has been totally remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Nobody is washing it away. It’s a great achievement.
    Glad we agree.