+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One positive from yesterday

One positive from yesterday

The manager's post-match interview with Sky Sports was refreshingly honest. Neil Harris readily admitted that Preston were the better side. He said his team was below-par, particularly when in possession of the ball, and admitted that his tactical switch that saw him bring on Madine and Ward hadn't worked out. He also spoke of the difficulties in getting a group of players like this one to play in a different way and how that's going to be a gradual process.

Unlike the last fella's tedious post-match interviews, there was no grizzling about the referee and no attempt to deflect the responsibility for a poor performance away from himself or his players. I thought he spoke really well.

Harris is on a hiding to nothing with this squad. Admittedly I haven't watched every game this season, but I've seen most of them either on TV or at the stadium and the truth is that I've yet to see City play another Championship team who have had less natural ability than them. Every other side I've watched has had their weaknesses, some of them glaring, but all of them have looked faster, more comfortable on the ball and better in possession. They've also generally been younger than City and have had at least one or two players who look genuinely promising.

Having said that, I should point out that I didn't see the games against Luton, Middlesbrough or Stoke, and I understand those three teams were desperately poor.

City's current squad is packed full of players who are average at best by Championship standards. Very few, if any, would get into one of the division's top sides. To compound matters, as a unit they are so conditioned to playing Warnock's style of huff and puff route one rubbish that getting them to play any other way is going to be very difficult.

I've watched City win 3-0 and 4-2 this season against sides who looked considerably better than them. As things stand, I reckon they're genuinely fortunate to have 33 points on the board and be sitting in the top half of the table. They could very easily be five, six or seven points worse off than they are now. Warnock made a horrendous mess of the last few transfer windows and I reckon it's likely to take anyone, let alone a young and relatively inexperienced manager like Neil Harris, at least a full season to redress the balance.

Re: One positive from yesterday

The honesty did make a refreshing change.

We blamed everybody from the ref to the tea lady in previous seasons.

I've never understood the press conference where we have been diabolical and the manager blames something else. It is the ultimate mugging off of the fans who paid their money to watch the same game IMO.

We were poor, and they had worked us out , and neutralised us very well , I felt they were happy with a draw as well .

Everyone’s forgetting that Preston were 3rd in the table at the start of the day- and third on merit
    We didn’t deserve to win and we’re lucky to get a point
    Etheridge made a few important saves and on another day Preston’s Maguire and Billy Bodin would have put away their chances.
    We should have been at least two down at half time!!
    I for one am a ‘Glass Half Full’ man and am extremely happy with a point!!

Quote Originally Posted by Padraig1968 View Post
    Everyone’s forgetting that Preston were 3rd in the table at the start of the day - and third on merit
    By the same token, they had lost their previous three away games at QPR (0-2), Hull (0-4) and Derby (0-1). World-beaters they are not.

One positive from yesterday? It only started to rain (lightly) towards the end...

Everyone’s forgetting that Preston were 3rd in the table at the start of the day- and third on merit
    Etheridge made a few important saves and on another day Preston’s Maguire and Billy Bodin would have put away their chances.
    That's fair enough, although sometimes it isn't about the result. A small minority of people were saying that Warnock's football could never be sustainable (even when we went up)and teams that play that way consistently will eventually falter or end up back where they were. The usual cliche was banded about -It's a results business-without anything substantial to back that up. Initially it has to be about performance, not just things going our way like Preston missing some half chances and Leeds falling apart. There are only so many times those things can be reversed. We have to play a whole lot better than that, we have to learn how to keep the ball at the correct times, there is so much wrong with how we play and we are now witnessing the clubs short term thought process. No team plays like Warnock did, it's detrimental in every respect. I can't believe that some of our players are that bad, but over three years of shocking tactics and a system designed to spoil the opposition before we start to play has taken it's toll on the players. They look institutionalised.

Preston are/ were 3rd in the table because they have the best home record in the division where they have collected 29 points from 12 games. We currently have joint 2nd best home record with Leeds although you wouldn’t have guessed that yesterday !

We are halfway through the season and from what I have seen so far this season , it’s appears to be a very average Championship with WBA and Leeds the 2 sides a step up from the rest. I would expect Fulham to take one of the play off places , the other 3 places appear to be up for grabs to the teams that can be the most consistent.

On the other hand , we are difficult to beat with a team packed full of experienced Championship players, we’ve only lost one game under Harris and are only 4 points off the play offs. However what we painfully lack is flair or guile to make the openings to score a goal. We only have Tomlin and Hoilett who can provide that. When we do look like scoring is when we take the sledge hammer approach and throw Flint up front and get more bodies in the box. We didn’t look like having a scoring attempt until the 92nd minute yesterday.

We need a little more flair in the side ( what has happened to Murphy) and we can accommodate that luxury with the number of work horses we have already

You have to question the board then plus Tans ultimate goal??
    How many football clubs does he own or part own? 3-4?
    Why???
    For us the humble fan- we expected him to fund us back to the premiership- that’s another bone of contention though because every club is looking for the best players at the right prices??
    What is the best player and what is value for money?
    You don’t really know until you buy him??
    I remember when Sven Goran Errikkson addressed the press on his decision to take a relatively unheard of Theo Walcott to the World Cup saying he’d seen good things on a DVD lol - players are people’s opinions.
    Harris was obviously sold a line as to available funds in January and I hope the new Chief Scout’s Opinion’s on certain players is better than Warnocks !!!
    Only time will tell 🤔

You have to question the board then plus Tans ultimate goal??
    How many football clubs does he own or part own? 3-4?
    Why???
    For us the humble fan- we expected him to fund us back to the premiership- that’s another bone of contention though because every club is looking for the best players at the right prices??
    What is the best player and what is value for money?
    You don’t really know until you buy him??
    I remember when Sven Goran Errikkson addressed the press on his decision to take a relatively unheard of Theo Walcott to the World Cup saying he’d seen good things on a DVD lol - players are people’s opinions.
    Harris was obviously sold a line as to available funds in January and I hope the new Chief Scout’s Opinion’s on certain players is better than Warnocks !!!
    Only time will tell 🤔
    The board gave Warnock money. He blew in excess of 10m on Flint and Glatzel.

We need a big clearout in the next 2 windows.

The frustrating thing is this is a poor quality Championship. Warnock had enough money to have a squad challenging for automatic promotion. What we are is a average squad.

I would have expected Tan to have invested last season to keep the club in the Premier League not allegedly sign a team to be a so called top championship team only to then weaken that team by selling players when we get relegated!

I am not sure what his business strategy is as if he wants to recoup his investment then keeping us in the Premier League should have been his goal to make the most of the financial rewards from TV money and surely be more attractive to potential buyers ?

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That's fair enough, although sometimes it isn't about the result. A small minority of people were saying that Warnock's football could never be sustainable (even when we went up)and teams that play that way consistently will eventually falter or end up back where they were. The usual cliche was banded about -It's a results business-without anything substantial to back that up. Initially it has to be about performance, not just things going our way like Preston missing some half chances and Leeds falling apart. There are only so many times those things can be reversed. We have to play a whole lot better than that, we have to learn how to keep the ball at the correct times, there is so much wrong with how we play and we are now witnessing the clubs short term thought process. No team plays like Warnock did, it's detrimental in every respect. I can't believe that some of our players are that bad, but over three years of shocking tactics and a system designed to spoil the opposition before we start to play has taken it's toll on the players. They look institutionalised.
    Very good points being made.

I believe that Murphy is one of many good footballers at he club who has suffered.

I totally respect Bobby Reid's decision to jump ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Very good points being made.

I believe that Murphy is one of many good footballers at he club who has suffered.

I totally respect Bobby Reid's decision to jump ship.
    I had a dig at Murphy yesterday, maybe a bit uncalled for. I respect reid's decision as well. murphy looks like he has nothing left, is devoid of ideas and self belief, he wasn't like that initially, he looked positive and confident, i used to stick up for him as he's never get any support from the midfield. What has happened to him? It could be a combination of having to play that very isolated role combined with a manager who didn't like playing him away from home. He doesn't even have the ability to do the basics now.

The other night I watched a re-run of the Cardiff v Southampton match last season on one of the Sky Sports channels. The Cardiff players who played in that match were so far superior to those on show yesterday (yes mainly the same players) that I can only conclude that something has gone seriously wrong behind the scenes. Admitedly,while Camarassa ran the show against Southampton, there were others who played in both games that were decent with everyone looking lively, challenging the opposition with enthusiasm and not leaving wide open spaces for the opposition to exploit. Murphy was actually trying his best, Patterson looked good and even the defence looked solid. There was relatively no hoofball with the ball being played mostly on the deck.

My conclusion is that the team is not nearly as bad as the last few home games have shown and it is something else that has gone seriously wrong behind the scenes with either the training or management. It is up to the manager to remedy the situation but if he can't or doesn't then it is inevitable the fans will complain.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    By the same token, they had lost their previous three away games at QPR (0-2), Hull (0-4) and Derby (0-1). World-beaters they are not.
    They have had a horrendous amount of injuries lately. Seemed like a few of them were back on Saturday.

However, I agree, we are average at best, we’re 2nd best yesterday and the ref was shit, but that wasn’t our problem. Being 2nd to nearly all the knockdowns, several players allowing themselves to be bullied and some awful touches and passing mainly from attacking players, but also from defenders under little pressure and midfielders.

Problem is, Ralls and maybe Whyte/ Hoillet apart, we don’t really have much better to come in now.

Neil Warnock saved his biggest mistruth till last, that he believes he left us with a top 2 or 3 squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    They have had a horrendous amount of injuries lately. Seemed like a few of them were back on Saturday.

However, I agree, we are average at best, we’re 2nd best yesterday and the ref was shit, but that wasn’t our problem. Being 2nd to nearly all the knockdowns, several players allowing themselves to be bullied and some awful touches and passing mainly from attacking players, but also from defenders under little pressure and midfielders.

Problem is, Ralls and maybe Whyte/ Hoillet apart, we don’t really have much better to come in now.
    Well apparently all of our players have played in expansive teams before so all its going to take is for the right manager to get them playing the right way and we wont drop another point between now and the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Well apparently all of our players have played in expansive teams before so all its going to take is for the right manager to get them playing the right way and we wont drop another point between now and the end of the season.
    Whyte does it for Northern Ireland quite regularly.

Pack was in a Bristol City team that played a better brand than City.

Murphy was a lot better in Norwich in a more entertaining team than City.

We have players that can play a better style than one that churns out three shots in total.
    Sorry that doesn't fit with your idea of where City are.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Whyte does it for Northern Ireland quite regularly.

Pack was in a Bristol City team that played a better brand than City.

Murphy was a lot better in Norwich in a more entertaining team than City.

We have players that can play a better style than one that churns out three shots in total.
    Sorry that doesn't fit with your idea of where City are.
    Yep, 3 of the best players in the championship right there. How we managed to sign Marlon Pack ill never know.

I'm happy with the result. I would have taken a point beforehand. It's the performance that bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The other night I watched a re-run of the Cardiff v Southampton match last season on one of the Sky Sports channels. The Cardiff players who played in that match were so far superior to those on show yesterday (yes mainly the same players) that I can only conclude that something has gone seriously wrong behind the scenes.
    The team that beat Southampton on that occasion had Bennett, Morrison, Bamba and Manga in defence and a midfield consisting of Arter, Camarasa and Gunnarsson. Very different from yesterday's line-up.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Yep, 3 of the best players in the championship right there. How we managed to sign Marlon Pack ill never know.
    Once again nobody said they are the best players in the Championship did they?

What I am saying is they are much more capable of football that is one of the worst brands of football in terms of possession based, entertaining styles. You do know the difference yeah?

Not world beaters, no. Capable of better than what is being served up under Harris and was under Warnock? Without doubt for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'm happy with the result. I would have taken a point beforehand. It's the performance that bothers me.
    I'd take the result all day long.

It is the realisation that had Preston been on song and taken their chances then they would have been out of sight by half time.

We have been fortunate to get results/points since Harris has arrived on a few occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Once again nobody said they are the best players in the Championship did they?

What I am saying is they are much more capable of football that is one of the worst brands of football in terms of possession based, entertaining styles. You do know the difference yeah?

Not world beaters, no. Capable of better than what is being served up under Harris and was under Warnock? Without doubt for me.
    At times in the last few weeks we have played some better stuff.
    Flashes here and there, but signs of hope.
    I’d expect Preston have nullified far better sides than us this season.

It’s not going to change overnight