+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gary Neville

Re: Gary Neville

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50893279)

Hey Downing Street, stop using racism to make yourselves look good. You have become the party that the ex-leader of Britain First, Katie Hopkins and Tommy Robinson are now joining up to as you have made them believe you are their party so stop pretending you have not been part of the problem.
    I agree, sadly racism is only going to get worse in this country. Brexit captured the anti-immigrant vote and together with the shameful behaviour of the Prime Minister has given white nationalists a sense that open displays of racism are now tolerated.

The issues for both football and society are very serious but the irony of a vote leave government led by Boris Johnson leading the fight against racism is not lost on many.

Gary Neville is spot on here. Well done to him for having the balls to say this on air.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I’m not taking sides here but couldn’t the presenter equally go and work for Al Jazeera, beIN Sports etc as well?
    If one of the "sides" here is racism, what I don't get is that people are saying there are two of them. Sorry if I've got this wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was Iffy Onoura I heard on the radio yesterday saying that the fight against racism in sport has gone backwards since the 2012 Olympics - the actions of that presenter prove his point. Seven years ago, there would no be need for the stupid qualification made by the presenter, but now, as Gary Neville said, we have the leaders of the two main parties dogged by allegations of racism and the Brexit vote has emboldened racists into thinking that their views are almost part of the mainstream. Therefore, we now have a situation whereby we get presenters treading on eggshells so as not to upset people who hold obnoxious views.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If one of the "sides" here is racism, what I don't get is that people are saying there are two of them. Sorry if I've got this wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was Iffy Onoura I heard on the radio yesterday saying that the fight against racism in sport has gone backwards since the 2012 Olympics - the actions of that presenter prove his point. Seven years ago, there would no be need for the stupid qualification made by the presenter, but now, as Gary Neville said, we have the leaders of the two main parties dogged by allegations of racism and the Brexit vote has emboldened racists into thinking that their views are almost part of the mainstream. Therefore, we now have a situation whereby we get presenters treading on eggshells so as not to upset people who hold obnoxious views.
    I don't seriously think that the presenter, or whoever was talking in his ear, was suggesting that there are two sides to the racism debate. I think they were clumsily trying to cover the fact that Neville almost went as far as calling Boris and Jezzer racists, which is arguably a matter of opinion rather than fact. I could be wrong.

But I do agree that everyone seems so scared of saying anything on telly any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I don't seriously think that the presenter, or whoever was talking in his ear, was suggesting that there are two sides to the racism debate. I think they were clumsily trying to cover the fact that Neville almost went as far as calling Boris and Jezzer racists, which is arguably a matter of opinion rather than fact. I could be wrong.

But I do agree that everyone seems so scared of saying anything on telly any more.
    I'll have to check to make sure I'm right, but I thought Gary Neville said that Johnson and Corbyn have had to face accusations of racism - that is factually correct, so why the need for the qualification?

Therefore, we now have a situation whereby we get presenters treading on eggshells so as not to upset people who hold obnoxious views.
    Sadly.

You’ve only got to look to America to see how tribal they are becoming over their guns and Trump to see its worked over there. They now hate blacks and “Mexican countries”.

Same is happening over here.

I'll have to check to make sure I'm right, but I thought Gary Neville said that Johnson and Corbyn have had to face accusations of racism - that is factually correct, so why the need for the qualification?
    I think there was a suggestion that racism is tacitly accepted in downing st, and that this is to blame for racism generally. I'm reading between the lines a lot here, but that is what I assumed sky were arse-covering on, not the idea that football needs to do something about it. It never even occured to me that they were saying that the other side of the argument is that racism is in any way OK. But I openly admit that this is only my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post

I don't think Gary Neville accused either of being racists, just that they seem more accepting of racist behaviour and this has encouraged this behaviour to take hold in everyday life, and surely there is enough strong evidence to back that up so it is a fact. An opinion is that Labour and Corbyn are fundamentally anti-racist whereas Johnson and Conservatives has relied on it throughout their history to make career/political gains.

For those of you who have facebook the following is a link to a Films For Action video on what to do when you witness racist attacks: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10154000910775983

For those who don't:

1. Don't be a bystander
    2. Film and report it (if safe to do so)
    3. Stick around for the victim
    4. Tackle the culture of racism
    5. Join campaigns/groups which focus on an anti-racism message.

I have identified to stewards racists at ninian park and seen them being arrested by police

It's very nerve racking but it's got to be done

As for this country it's more racist than I can remember in my lifetime

And boris johnstone is a right one to talk about tackling the problem

Hes got a few uncle Tom's in his cabinet but some of his comments in the recent past pull the shoes from under his feet

I don't think Gary Neville accused either of being racists, just that they seem more accepting of racist behaviour and this has encouraged this behaviour to take hold in everyday life, and surely there is enough strong evidence to back that up so it is a fact. An opinion is that Labour and Corbyn are fundamentally anti-racist whereas Johnson and Conservatives has relied on it throughout their history to make career/political gains.

For those of you who have facebook the following is a link to a Films For Action video on what to do when you witness racist attacks: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10154000910775983

For those who don't:

1. Don't be a bystander
    It's quite intimidating reporting racist language or behaviour but if we as fans don't do it , it's going to continue

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Brexit didn't cause racism ( or 'this fracture') but there is plenty of evidence that the language and imagery used in the Referendum debate and after (up to and including the last election) partly normalised racist abuse and behaviour - gave people with those views permission to express them - and that incidents of reported racism shot up - especially Islamophobic incidents.
    But not anti semetic I assume?

International

For those who don't:

1. Don't be a bystander
    I thought the election was over. Still people peddling pro-labour or pro-tory garbage. how can you possibly say that labour are fundamentally non-racist when JC is claiming to be totally against anti-semetism with 2 people on the podium behind him who have been cited for being anti-semetic and had the accusations whitewashed by JC's minders.
    I don't care one way or the other but some on here are so politically blinkered that they cannot think for themselves