+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Do we always play badly around Christmas?

Do we always play badly around Christmas?

Or am imagining it? If you add sky live on tv into the mix it’s even worse I’m sure?

Re: Do we always play badly around Christmas?

It used to be November - if 'playing badly' is measured by results.

Last year was four straight losses over Christmas and New Year but I don't remember that being a pattern this time of year.

I am sure Malky’s Promotion team took all 12 points from the 4 games over Christmas?
    In my memory, ( which may be wrong ) under Dave Jones we tended to have poor November’s ?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Last year was four straight losses over Christmas and New Year but I don't remember that being a pattern this time of year.
    Sorry to be picky but we drew at Palace and beat Leicester last season however you may be right about previous season in Championship?

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Sorry to be picky but we drew at Palace and beat Leicester last season however you may be right about previous season in Championship?
    You are right to be picky - I meant to say (but didn't) last season in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Even when we got promoted 2 years ago, I’m sure we didn’t win a game?
    I think going to games in Boxing Day maybe and a few hours later wondering why I bothered have left me scarred for life, starting with Maidstone was it?

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    I am sure Malky’s Promotion team took all 12 points from the 4 games over Christmas?
    In my memory, ( which may be wrong ) under Dave Jones we tended to have poor November’s ?

Didn’t that good run end at home to bottom club Peterborough over xmas or new year?

I can remember back in the 60's (no idea which season though) playing Preston twice over 2 days and losing both 4-0!!

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Didn’t that good run end at home to bottom club Peterborough over xmas or new year?
    Think we lost at home to Peterborough then went on the 4 game winning streak over Xmas, starting with 1-0 win at Leicester (goal from Bellamy)

We got battered by Fulham a couple of years ago Christmas time. Think it ended up 2-4 which flattered us. It was freezing cold and wet. My 10 year old rememberers it well and it’s a bit of a struggle to convince him that Boxing Day will be any better. He asked the other day “why do we keep passing it in the air?” What can you say?!

I can remember we had Plymouth on boxing Day what seemed like 5 years in a row, one of those we absolutely battered them and ended up losing 1-0.

So we only won 2 of our last 19 Boxing Day fixtures.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    So we only won 2 of our last 19 Boxing Day fixtures.....
    3 after tomorrows 4 nil thumping of Millwall

Boxing day fixtures.

We've played 80 league fixtures on Dec 26th, winning 28, drawing 26 and losing 26. We've scored 107 goals and conceded 112.

As has already been mentioned, we've won only 2 Boxing day games since the start of the millennium, drawing 9 and losing 8. In the previous 2 decades (80s and 90s), we only lost once, winning 9 and drawing 7. Talk about a reversal of fortunes!!

Our largest Boxing day home win was against Stoke in 1957 (5-2), Luton in 1931 (4-1) and West Bromwich Albion, Swansea Town, Aston Villa, Tranmere Rovers and Shrewsbury Town (1922, 1951, 1967, 1987 and 1998, all 3-0). Our biggest home Boxing day loss was to (surprise, surprise) Preston, losing 4-0 in 1963.

Our biggest drubbing away from home on Boxing day was at Brighton in 1978, when we lost 5-0. We've only ever won 3 away games on Boxing day out of 32 attempts. All were by a single goal - at Swansea in 1989, Shrewsbury in 1994 (both 1-0) and a 3-2 at Ashton Gate in 1958.

Overall we've had 48 games at home on Boxing day and 32 away. We've played Swansea and Plymouth on 7 occasions (4-2-1-12-7 against the Jacks and 0-2-5-6-16 against the Pilgrims). Next most common Boxing day opponents are Bristol City (1-3-1-4-4).