+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Harrisnock

Harrisnock

I don't care how many points he has so far, the football is borderline worse than under Warnock. It's like a Warnock apprentice who is trying to achieve a more pure form of anti football.

It is actually difficult to achieve to get somebody who gets a team keeping less possession, creating less and looking less interested than a Warnock team. Our board seem to have found the only man in Britain who could be worse than old Colin.

It beggars belief, it really does.

Harris says our crowd want a team of battlers blah blah blah. No Neil that is the minimum we require while trying to play some football. There was nothing there yesterday, just a bunch of players who looked devoid of passion, ideas and any footballing savvy and Harris picked them and put them out there with a supposed game plan.

Re: Harrisnock

There are in my view some changes from Warnock , we have seen players who I thought were retired Tomlin and Jazz who look good ,he is not frighted to change personal ,they try to play on the floor more, and he has installed a battling back mentality wittnessed by some of our recent last ditch goals.

His problem is he has inherited a Warnock skilled and drilled side therefore at times they will look Warnock like

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    There are in my view some changes from Warnock , we have seen players who I thought were retired Tomlin and Jazz who look good ,he is not frighted to change personal ,they try to play on the floor more, and he has installed a battling back mentality wittnessed by some of our recent last ditch goals.

His problem is he has inherited a Warnock skilled and drilled side therefore at times they will look Warnock like
    That is my only hope.
    That he has inherited a team that has Warnock's philosophy so ingrained that they are still doing it without thought.

Many times the first reaction of our midfield on getting the ball is to look sideways or backwards. I hope this, among other things, is a hangover from the Warnock period and not something Harris is telling them to do. I'm all for playing it simple and taking the easy ball that is on the majority of times but we're at home, show some endeavour.

Defensively we're still just lumping it forward. Most worryingly for me though is players do not seem to want the ball. Again, this could be a hangover of Warnock's style again though but if it continues we need a change of personnel. At one point yesterday Peltier was boxed in an literally stood waiting to play the ball forward. Murphy ran a few yards and literally stopped with a Preston man stood between him and Peltier. Shows no desire to help his teammate or make any kind of run. This can't continue for everybody's sake.

I hope Harris has seen what needs doing because if performances like that yesterday are the norm then patience will be at a premium among the fans very soon.

Yes you would think that with all the players harris has brought in, the side would look totally different and be playing a different style by now

Just to add, under Harris we have had 6 shots on target in 3 home games.

We all know the 'shot' yesterday was anything but too.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Yes you would think that with all the players harris has brought in, the side would look totally different and be playing a different style by now
    No, but you would think that the new man that the club heralded as having a positive style (although Millwall fans had a different view) might have had more shots than the negative manager he replaced.

Warnock's teams actually produced more on target than Harris' have done right before he was sacked. We had six on target against Birmingham alone. Harris' team has managed that many in three home games.

I suppose you're over the moon with that performance yesterday?

No it was awful. Football is mostly awful. But this isnt some children's film where the inspired coach tries playing the goalkeeper up front and it works. Our players' abilities are well known. Add in the age factor and its entirely understandable that the team plays as it does. He's found one of the only footballers we have left and put him front and centre, but what more can he really do yet? This season was a dead rubber before Harris arrived. Warnock's transfer activity has been something of a scorched earth tactic- it's hard to see how those players could do anything but play warnockball. Warnock's view (which had some credibility) was that this was an effective way to succeed at this level, painful though it was to watch. Time will tell just how different Harris wants to play, but assuming that yesterday represents the pinnacle of his ambition is a trifle daft when you consider the limitations hes working with at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I don't care how many points he has so far, the football is borderline worse than under Warnock. It's like a Warnock apprentice who is trying to achieve a more pure form of anti football.

It is actually difficult to achieve to get somebody who gets a team keeping less possession, creating less and looking less interested than a Warnock team. Our board seem to have found the only man in Britain who could be worse than old Colin.

It beggars belief, it really does.

Harris says our crowd want a team of battlers blah blah blah. No Neil that is the minimum we require while trying to play some football. There was nothing there yesterday, just a bunch of players who looked devoid of passion, ideas and any footballing savvy and Harris picked them and put them out there with a supposed game plan.
    Harris's Millwall side, whilst not playing silky multi-passing football, could be exciting to watch. Similarly with our promotion side under Warnock. Unfortunately this squad isn't good enough to play decent long passes, move quickly on the break - they can at best attempt to contain the opposition and hope a chance or two pops up as the game goes on..

Its been 7 games and hes had no transfer window ffs.

Did you just expect us to be popping the ball about like Man City the moment Warnock was sacked?!?!

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Did you just expect us to be popping the ball about like Man City the moment Warnock was sacked?!?!
    Perhaps an achievable evolutionary step is to pop the ball about like Barnsley, Birmingham, Preston, QPR, Brentford, Leeds, Fulham, Swansea, ....

Spot on

Get a grip.

The squad is unbalanced and full of cloggers Warnock signed for the sole intention of playing kick and rush football.

Harris needs 2 windows minimum before I’m judging him. I’ve seen glimpses of us moving away from Warnockball (Tomlin’s form being an example of this). He just needs the time to rip up this squad and rebuild it

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Get a grip.

The squad is unbalanced and full of cloggers Warnock signed for the sole intention of playing kick and rush football.

Harris needs 2 windows minimum before I’m judging him. I’ve seen glimpses of us moving away from Warnockball (Tomlin’s form being an example of this). He just needs the time to rip up this squad and rebuild it
    Possibly the most sensible post today.

Exactly.

Try telling the person above who said that they played good stuff.

One Millwall comment that I read that stuck with me was that he could still watch Harris' football at Cardiff from his garden in South London.

I expected there to be some improvement.

The 'brand' of football has been bad in most games. We were fortunate against the likes of Stoke and Preston that they couldn't hit a barn door no matter how many chances they got.

So no, not Man City, but some sort of footballing style improvement. There hasn't been.

It'll take more than even two windows to sort out this lot, it's the players Warnock signed that are the problem. He (Harris) should try and get rid of everyone except Etheridge , Morrison, Nelson, Ralls and Holiett. Maybe Pack could stay too but the others are not worth it. A lot was expected of Tomlin yesterday and he was poor too, and a lot has been said about Murphy's performance. Mendez-Laing has one good game in four. We all know about Bacuna and his 4 year deal. Flint is slow and ponderous. I like Peltier but he is now 31 but solid enough. Bamba is past it at 35 next month. Bennet has been hopeless all season. Whyte is ineffective and as for our strikers, all of them should be offloaded. But we have to try and find clubs to take our players , which they won't because we pay well, or wait until their contracts run down. One bright spark yesterday was the appearance of Jazz Richards , who i though played well. But he and Connolly should be released at the end of the season too.

The main point is where are the youngsters coming through? There are none. Swansea have had loads, Welsh they have had too, and they come in and perform well. Come was on the bench for a couple of games, and the club talk about the promising kids but none at all actually come through. Ciaron Brown is captain oil the U23s and he has had one League Cup tie, played out of position.\]

Warnock got results for a season and a half but his legacy is this squad of players who can't seem to put more that two passes together, or play consistently over 90 minutes.

Sunday 10th of November: "Warnock should have left last summer. The club has no longer term vision and we're going nowhere."
    Sunday 22nd of December: "I haven't seen the development I want as quickly as I want. Feck longer term vision."

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Get a grip.

I just don't think he is the right man to have those windows.

At the end at Millwall in this league he played Warnock style and did for the majority of time he was here.

Nothing I have seen so far suggests to me he is the right man and the teams he is picking and putting out are producing less by way of entertaining football than Warnock's did.

The board have got it wrong again. I'll support him and the team for 90 minutes but I'm almost convinced we've put an average manager who favours a negative style in charge. Being more bored than under Warnock took some doing but in the games I've seen, including yesterday, he has already achieved it.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Sunday 10th of November: "Warnock should have left last summer. The club has no longer term vision and we're going nowhere."
    Sunday 22nd of December: "I haven't seen the development I want as quickly as I want. Feck longer term vision."
    Long term vision being a younger Warnock?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

The Brighton manager inherited a Hughton trainer and drilled team.

Watch them when you get a chance... play **** all like a Hughton team.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    The Brighton manager inherited a Hughton trainer and drilled team.

Watch them when you get a chance... play **** all like a Hughton team.
    For me that's the worst part of it.

You come in and change up the style. It is very much needed that the team start on a new style and start to implement that style as early as possible. If we just carry as with the same style what is the point in changing it up?

I don't for one second think these players can't play a more expansive style. Most of them did at former clubs.

The alternative school of thought is that we have employed a man who plays long ball tactics and we have gone for Warnock Mark II. Millwall fans have seen most of his teams and it is clear to see what they think of his style.

As it is we are producing less by way of entertaining football than when Warnock was here. He has had a month at the club and his biggest compliment seems to be 'he has played Tomlin'. Well done on that at least.

As an aside I've put Sheff Wednesday and Bristol City on. Bristol City created a chance of better quality after 20 seconds than we managed in 90 minutes yesterday. We're almost 9 minutes in and both sides have managed passing sequences of more than the one or two passes that we managed yesterday. Some of them were even passed forward.
    It can be done. You just have to have the will and game plan to even try it.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Long term vision being a younger Warnock?
    Whether it translates to anything or not, I think the way the board and Harris have spoken about our youth teams suggest a key difference to Warnock, as does his use of Tomlin. It's just seven games in, we're unlikely to see the side Harris wants until the back end of the season at the earliest and more realistically the start of next year.

Our players look awkward on the ball, there’s no movement off the ball. I’m not sure all of that is down to Harris but I agree we should be seeing a change by now.

Seems to be quite reactive, like we were opened up by Leeds so next game he starts by keeping us compact so we don’t concede early etc. And it just takes us an age to wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Whether it translates to anything or not, I think the way the board and Harris have spoken about our youth teams suggest a key difference to Warnock, as does his use of Tomlin. It's just seven games in, we're unlikely to see the side Harris wants until the back end of the season at the earliest and more realistically the start of next year.
    Good to hear that we're looking at the youth set up. Let's be fair, it needed it.

Do you think this squad can't play a more expansive style than it is? If Harris is going to change the style then why isn't he?

3 shots on goal and 1 on target is going to see fans leaving in droves regardless of who is churning it up. Add to that 3 shots in total on target on the previous 2 home games.
    We have been fortunate that teams haven't taken advantage of this so far.

This football is bad enough when the results are relatively decent. If the results go south as well, as they should have at home to Stoke, Preston and Leeds away, then people will put up with this football even less.