+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Thats entertainment! Bring back dave jones

Thats entertainment! Bring back dave jones

For me this decade has been pretty awful entertainment wise at the city. The last 8 years anyway. Yes we have had 2 promotions to the promised land, but even they have been ground out more than anything else.

Both our premier seasons were awful, less than a handful of good games out of the 76 we had?

And in between that we have had the joy of the slade seasons, the trollope thing, ole, and this mess warnock has left us with.

Compare that to the 00’s decade. Alan cork, lennie lawrence and then dave jones. All managers who had us playing football, valuing centre midfielders who tried to pass, and strikers who could actually move. Yes we lost games and did bottle it, but entertainment wise? No contest.

To make matters worse we have spent hundreds of millions in the 10s- on what?

And of course gunter, ledley, earnie, collins, blake, ramsey, matthews, jerome came through from the academy in the 00’s. In the 10’s? Ummmmmm...... ralls? Declan john?

And today was the last home game of the 10’s- bodes well for the future hey?

Re: Thats entertainment! Bring back dave jones

When you put it like that, roll on the 20s!!

Let's dispel this myth that Jones and Lawrence had us playing attractive football all the time. When we played well under Jones especially, we were dynamic and good to watch. When we weren't, we were as shit as we were today. What was more annoying is that, back then, we had a team that could produce good football, but often didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Let's dispel this myth that Jones and Lawrence had us playing attractive football all the time. When we played well under Jones especially, we were dynamic and good to watch. When we weren't, we were as shit as we were today. What was more annoying is that, back then, we had a team that could produce good football, but often didn't.
    Of course it didnt always work. Thats life.

But at least we tried. My worry is today planned out pretty much as harris hoped- apart from their very good equaliser.

Banned

No, they often did but fell short. Jones was the one manager who was incapable of taking us up but at the time would have been more than capable of keeping us up. His teams were good to watch, dull games are now the norm, they weren't back then.

As for the 10s, a shit decade on and off the pitch. Highlight was the League Cup Final. Probably the most entertaining game of the decade followed by the 3-2 win over Man C. Apart from that, it's a blur of dross.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    No, they often did but fell short. Jones was the one manager who was incapable of taking us up but at the time would have been more than capable of keeping us up. His teams were good to watch, dull games are now the norm, they weren't back then.

As for the 10s, a shit decade on and off the pitch. Highlight was the League Cup Final. Probably the most entertaining game of the decade followed by the 3-2 win over Man C. Apart from that, it's a blur of dross.
    Spot on. Premier league football under jones would have been brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    I'll beg to differ. Jones' teams were frustrating to watch. Great for a month, then absolutely awful for the next month. I maintain he had the best squad of players we've had at this level but blew it. The frustration with Jones was that his teams could be very good indeed, but never had consistency and when they were bad, they were easily as bad as today's efforts, if not worse.

I'll beg to differ. Jones' teams were frustrating to watch. Great for a month, then absolutely awful for the next month. I maintain he had the best squad of players we've had at this level but blew it. The frustration with Jones was that his teams could be very good indeed, but never had consistency and when they were bad, they were easily as bad as today's efforts, if not worse.
    Frustrating is fair. But it was interesting as you never knew what would happen. Football is about entertainment and the unpredictability is a big part of that.

Its very very rare a game is ever better than a 5/10 now. Just doesnt happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Frustrating is fair. But it was interesting as you never knew what would happen. Football is about entertainment and the unpredictability is a big part of that.

Its very very rare a game is ever better than a 5/10 now. Just doesnt happen?
    I often went into games knowing what was going to happen. If we were brilliant last time out, we'd likely do something similar. If we were shite, we'd often be next time around.

I agree about the entertainment value of games now. I also wonder how much of that is down to having spent decades watching football. My 6 year old has loved every minute of the last 2 games!!! He must be the only one!

They had us playing attractive football some of the time (Lawrence's 03/04 side are one of my favourite City sides) and when is the last time you could say that about us in the last few seasons? I love Boxing Day football normally, but travelled to yesterday's game with no enthusiasm whatsoever. Neil Harris has had four home matches now with only Barnsley generating any excitement and that saw us largely outplayed by a team that was at the bottom of the table at the time. It shows how bad things have become that I left the ground yesterday thinking it hadn't been as bad as expected - after all, we'd had more than three goal attempts hadn't we!

To be fair to Harris , he couldn’t just come in and introduce a massive change of style but the league is so much of a muchness that frustratingly we appear to be just outside the playoffs but just like under Slade”s team back a few seasons ago , the harsh reality is currently we are not good enough to get there!

The first season under Jones was not great, 06/7 we topped the League for a while, 07/8 we got to the Cup Final but weren't that good in the League. 08/9 We were in Play Offs pretty much all season until the 6-0 at Preston, 09/10 Play Off Final, 10/11 Play Off semi. So not that bad. Although there were some dire performances, many were good, we had a good midfield, and players who could;d score goals. In the later seasons with, McCormack, Chopra, Bothroyd and Whittingham. with Rae Ledley Mc Phail in the middle, Chris Burke and decent centre backs we were very good, and McNaughton at full back.

Having said that we were miles ahead of this team we are now left with. And those players named above cost peanuts compared to what Warnock has shelled out in fees and wages. He was given pretty much free rein, especially last year when we signed Murphy , Reid and Bacuna and before that with Madine. And the loans of Niasse, Camarasa and Arter too. And look what we have left. And all the money wasted. even this year with Glatzel, Flint, Pack, Vaulks and Whyte another £15m or so gone. And Bamba was given a new contract.

Even if Harris is no good, our whether the is brilliant it will take some time to sort out this squad. Unless he is ruthless and chops as much as he can and gets lots of new players in who can play a bit.

If the comments by Millwall fans are anything to go by then we'll still be playing this type of football in twelve months time.