+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gavin & Stacey

Re: Gavin & Stacey

Used to love G&S in the early series ( 1 and 2 ), series 3 just wasnt funny anymore, it was as if they had ran out of humour

The 1st christmas special they did was ok, this last one was just dire, we laughed twice in the whole hour, both with Uncle Bryn, but that was it, time to leave it and remember the funny first 2 series

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    The UK office had a good Xmas special. Any others?
    Only Fools and Horses has plenty, although I don’t think they were all “Christmas” themed though?

G&S ain’t for me, always felt like it came from the “let’s take the piss out of how daft them taffy’s talk” school of comedy despite being written by a Welsh woman (I think?).

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    If it wasn't for Curlys voice I'd never had recognised him ( big gooner.)again more xmas served up tripe.

Why cant these folk take the lesson of less means better .

God I hate Xmas .
    I thought it was Tom Watt from Eastenders who’s the Arsenal fan not Curly Watts from Coronation St

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    I have never seen it. The only thing I ever watch on the box is MOTD. I've been re-watching the Barchester Chronicles on the net and it shows how much the BBC has declined in the last 30 years. Today it is all PC rubbish and lies.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    I have never seen it. The only thing I ever watch on the box is MOTD. I've been re-watching the Barchester Chronicles on the net and it shows how much the BBC has declined in the last 30 years. Today it is all PC rubbish and lies.
    I loved the Barchester Chronicles. Timeless as are all MR James' stories and a great BBC production

I've only seen one episode. The old Christmas one. I have American friends who love it. The accents do my head in. Dave Coaches is the only one that's believable.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Imagine being this guy. Just imagine it
    There is the possibility that your post was not meant to be a compliment, but I will take it that you were saying that I have an enviable life. Yes, I think I am very lucky. I am almost uncontaminated by modern culture. I have never seen any programmes like the Xfactor or Big Brother. Likewise with shows about "celebrities" dancing, making cakes or being abandoned in the jungle. I have never willingly listened to any pop music. People like Adele and Ed Sheehan are just names in the paper to me. I have never heard any music by them. I have never eaten a kabab and I have never eaten anything in McDonalds. I have never eaten any Chinese food apart from Chinese gooseberries. My tastes are simple. My favourite food is porridge and my idea of a lovely snack is sliced pepper and apple covered in some lime juice. For me a good night is going to bed early with a hot water bottle and reading a few old Charlie Buchan magazines, a football biography or perhaps the history of some obscure Scottish football team. I wake up without the gloomy prospect of a day at work hanging over me. My time is all my own and I use it to improve myself at the gym and on that great learning machine the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    Is it just me or did anybody else see it as badly written predictable tripe?.
    You mean like the rest of the series? Comedy for the unthinking.

Quote Originally Posted by barrybloo View Post
    Well I thought it was brilliant. You have to have watched it before to get it mind.
    11 odd million people watched it so most must like it.
    How do you work that out? And also 11 million watch Mrs Brown, doesn't mean it is funnier that Inside No 9 with just 2 million viewers.

Didn't watch every episode of the series but did like bits of it, some funny parts, some very bad stereotyping and accents. But easy watching and decent.

The Christmas special wasn't a whole lot different, would probably be one of the more forgetful episodes apart from how it finished. I'm not sure it was an episode that was needed unless it's an opening for a future series.

The original premise was settled ages ago so it's nostalgic comfort viewing now. Not much point slagging it off - it's only an hour out of the schedule - but would've been nice if there was something else to watch at some point. (Mind you, this isn't a criticism exclusive to Christmas but the whole year, although that might be because I'm getting old and grumpy).

Gavin and Stacey Xmas special absolutely bloody brilliant.

I recognise that you had to have continuity from previous run but considering 10 years have meant to have passed it seemed that Stacey was the only Welsh character who had grown as a person positively. The Welsh mum's big character development was that she has had one set of towels since 1983! Meanwhile English dad, English mum, Smithy and Gavin all seem to have developed in one way or another. I guess James "Hollywood" Corden has to come across well but this effort seemed uneven in where the laughs were.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    How do you work that out? And also 11 million watch Mrs Brown, doesn't mean it is funnier that Inside No 9 with just 2 million viewers.
    Some of those Inside No.9 episodes are very good. Some a bit weird

Having never seen this before and being told how great the series was, it was with some anticipation that we tuned into the BBC for this. From what I gather from this thread, the Christmas edition did not live up to the expectation which was a relief, as I thought that I was the only odd one out here. IMO it was dire. I am from the "Valleys" (Cynon) but I am supposed to believe that Barry is in the "Valleys" because when "I were a lad" it certainly was not. I expected all the characters to have Kaardiff accents actually! Who remembers the "Miners Fortnight" in Barry Island and Trecco Bay, Porthcawl - probably the only time a real Valley accent was heard there.

Was Smithys new girlfriend “America”, and Nessa the “UK”?
    Reference to how Cordon is perceived either side of the pond?
    Or am I over thinking things?

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Was Smithys new girlfriend “America”, and Nessa the “UK”?
    Reference to how Cordon is perceived either side of the pond?
    Or am I over thinking things?
    You are not the only one over thinking things

This is a national newspaper headline today

'Gavin and Stacey fans convinced they’ve worked out Nessa’s ‘real age’ amid ongoing mystery'

Followed by a series of calculations FFS

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    You are not the only one over thinking things

This is a national newspaper headline today

'Gavin and Stacey fans convinced they’ve worked out Nessa’s ‘real age’ amid ongoing mystery'

Followed by a series of calculations FFS

They’ll be revealing what happened on the fishing trip next !!