+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone Use An Amazon Firestick?

Anyone Use An Amazon Firestick?

Thinking of getting one for my parents, but have the following queries:

They are now advertised as Alexa controlled fire sticks - Does this mean you need an Alexa, or is it just compatible with Alexa?

My parents dont have "Smart TV' although they have USB ports, is that OK for it to work?

I want them to have access yo you tube and my netflix (when I am not using) is the firestick the right option?

Thanks

Re: Anyone Use An Amazon Firestick?

You can set up an amazon account with an email for them, I’ve done it but don’t use it. I also don’t use the voice controls so you don’t really miss out on a lot of you just tap your way through the screen.

My mother is 60 odd and forgets she has a mobile phone capable of googling things, because she’s constantly asking me, she’s useless, and she finds the fire stick a breeze. There aren’t many buttons.

In answer to your 3rd paragraph, they work fine with a non-Smart TV. I was a little bit indifferent when my son wanted to buy us a Firestick but I'm glad he did. Great for YouTube too as you said.

Smart TVs have access to the things on a fire stick, a non smart tv becomes a smart tv with a fire stick plugged in. Your set up will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Thinking of getting one for my parents, but have the following queries:

They are now advertised as Alexa controlled fire sticks - Does this mean you need an Aliexa, or is it just compatible with Alexa?

Is compatible - so you don't need Alexa for it to work.

My parents dont have "Smart TV' although they have USB ports, is that OK for it to work?

As long as you have an hdmi port it will
    work.

I want them to have access yo you tube and my netflix (when I am not using) is the firestick the right option?

Yes it will do both of these for you (as long as you have Wi-Fi in the house).

Thanks

The TV doesn’t need to be a smart tv but you will need a HDMI socket in the tv.

They are simple to navigate. My mam and dad are able to use it freely and they haven’t got a clue about modern technology.

I did put Kodi on there for them but I got fed up of taking calls to go over there and update the apps on Kodi so now they mainly use it for YouTube and Netflix.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Thanks all.
    I had some sort of fiddling done with mine just before Xmas, now got all sports, loads a films n stuff, other than the latest film, has all stars wars stuff, jut fin watching return of the jedi 🤣 all in top quality pictures as well. If the service stays as it is, and other than Netflix, days of subscribing to services are over.

They are good. Use mine all the time and my parents get a lot of use out of theirs.

Essential apps = Downloader and Aptoide. These are the unofficial app stores which allow you to use non-paying streaming services like Tea TV, Unlock My TV, Mobdro.

I think it’s mainly meant for people who have a Netflix or Prime Video account...or those who want pirate streaming.

It’s pretty straight forward to set up the free streaming apps. Just follow a tutorial like this -

https://troypoint.com/cinema-apk/

You can watch anything you want on this ^^