+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Spending in January

Re: No Spending in January

Great news as we buy mostly unwanted under acheivers...let in some young blood please

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    With a few players coming back from injury ( Jazz and Sol) it’ll be like having a couple of new signings anyway.

The squad is too big, maybe if we can get some decent money in for one or 2 there will be funds,

Also a change of formation to 3 at the back and wing backs will make better use of what we have got.

Still feel a bit thin in midfield

Need one of the strikers to come good.
    Agree about the midfield. It feels a bit one-paced at times. Some pace in there would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    That wanker Warnock has wasted so much money he’s going to put this club back years.

Judge me when I leave he said. Ok, I will, you have put us back beyond square 1 you greedy twat.
    u ok hun?

That wanker Warnock has wasted so much money he’s going to put this club back years.
    Judge me when I leave he said. Ok, I will, you have put us back beyond square 1 you greedy twat.
    That's a very harsh take. We know Warnock's strengths, building a real team out of free signings and hidden gems, and we know his weaknesses, one of which was where asked to spend big money, but don't think you can say he's taken us backwards. But it was right for him to move on and arguably came a transfer window too late.

No spend in January allows for us to continue to retool. If we flop the second half of the season it's a dreadful decision but in all other possible finishes I would say it's the right thing to do.

I’d like to know why the board’s strategy for achieving promotion this season has undergone a complete U-turn between September and December.

In September Dalman said "At Christmas, if we're in that top six or thereabouts, our attitude towards the January transfer budget will be different as to if we may be in the bottom four or five” and “So at Christmas, we're in that top six and we need to strengthen in one or two positions, I'm sure he will have Vincent Tan's full support.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49544239

We are 2 points off top 6 and the new manager is doing about as well as could do with the squad he inherited. So why has the plan to fund a push for promotion suddenly been reversed? Does the board actually have a strategy or do they just make it up as they go along?

If i were warnock at his age i would have retired from football for good out of respect for a fallen talent.
    but he didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    I’d like to know why the board’s strategy for achieving promotion this season has undergone a complete U-turn between September and December.

In September Dalman said "At Christmas, if we're in that top six or thereabouts, our attitude towards the January transfer budget will be different as to if we may be in the bottom four or five” and “So at Christmas, we're in that top six and we need to strengthen in one or two positions, I'm sure he will have Vincent Tan's full support.”

We are 2 points off top 6 and the new manager is doing about as well as could do with the squad he inherited. So why has the plan to fund a push for promotion suddenly been reversed? Does the board actually have a strategy or do they just make it up as they go along?
    Dalman just says what people want to hear. All talk, no walk.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    If i were warnock at his age i would have retired from football for good out of respect for a fallen talent.
    but he didn't
    Would you have another go if you were offered a two year contract at 1.5m a year with a 2m bonus for promotion and paid up in full if you were sacked after a couple of months?

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Would you have another go if you were offered a two year contract at 1.5m a year with a 2m bonus for promotion and paid up in full if you were sacked after a couple of months?
    not if i had any integrity

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Great news as we buy mostly unwanted under acheivers...let in some young blood please
    It'll be interesting to see if any of the lads on loan will be brought into the squad but it might be considered too soon for them.

Edit: Although Waite and/or Spence could be tried as a back-up for Tomlin.

January is always a sellers market, I'm not surprised there'll be no permanent signings as teams pay through the nose half way through a season.

If they don't give Harris any £££ in the summer, then we're royally screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    That's a very harsh take. We know Warnock's strengths, building a real team out of free signings and hidden gems, and we know his weaknesses, one of which was where asked to spend big money, but don't think you can say he's taken us backwards. But it was right for him to move on and arguably came a transfer window too late.

No spend in January allows for us to continue to retool. If we flop the second half of the season it's a dreadful decision but in all other possible finishes I would say it's the right thing to do.
    Warnock didn’t have to spend money, we all know he’s his own man and does it his own way. If he’s better at free signings and not any good at spending I’m sure he would have said something. Let’s be honest, he was happy enough to spend what he was given.

FB_IMG_1577793024002.jpg

When the guys or girls in charge of recruitment gets it right!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post

Answered your own question

Surely the parachute payments the club receive due to him getting us promotion, offset the money you say he wasted?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Surely the parachute payments the club receive due to him getting us promotion, offset the money you say he wasted?
    But if he didn’t waste it we’d have the money he wasted and the parachute payments, so he still wasted it.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    But if he didn’t waste it we’d have the money he wasted and the parachute payments, so he still wasted it.
    Another manager may not have got us promoted though.
    You can’t have it both ways.

Of course you can have it both ways. You can invest wisely and for the future. Warnock didn’t do that.

He compounded it by staying on for this season and wasting another 20m in the transfer market.

It’s not just the fees, it’s the ridiculous contracts handed out to ageing players who is going to put us back to the Russel Slade years because of Warnock incompetence in the transfer market.

Another manager may have got us promoted for less and kept us up.

We’ll never know.

Pointless.

Another manager may have kept us up and invested the money better.

Watford were ruthless got rid of their manager when they got promoted.

Instead we had the tail wagging the dog and making threats about resigning if he wasn’t backed this summer. What club allows a relegated manager to do that?

Now we find ourselves back to square 1. No money to spend and an expensive squad of players the new manager doesn’t want but is going to find it difficult to get rid of.

It’s like 2014 all over again.

Of course you can have it both ways. You can invest wisely and for the future. Warnock didn’t do that.

He compounded it by staying on for this season and wasting another 20m in the transfer market.

It’s not just the fees, it’s the ridiculous contracts handed out to ageing players who is going to put us back to the Russel Slade years because of Warnock incompetence in the transfer market.
    Before Warnock took over, it WAS the Russell Slade yrs. We were treading water.
    Ok. We’re back to treading water, but no other manager would have got that squad promoted to the premiership, so you could argue that the parachute payments outweigh the losses Warnock accrued. He came and went, earning the club more dough than he lost.

Ok. We’re back to treading water, but no other manager would have got that squad promoted to the premiership, so you could argue that the parachute payments outweigh the losses Warnock accrued. He came and went, earning the club more dough than he lost.
    Hence back to square one and earning the club more dough is debatable when all things are taken into consideration.

No other manager IN YOUR OPINION.

Quick enough to jump all over other posters yesterday who you didn’t agree with on the Reid deal. Moaning about them stating opinion as fact and you’re doing the same.

Cant have it both ways.

Hence back to square one and earning the club more dough is debatable when all things are taken into consideration.
    I'm with you on this one. Warnock spend stupidly but strangely the better players he brought in were free, NML, Etheridge, Bamba and Holiett. As a club we seem to have historically picked up goo players for nothing, Burke, McNaughton Rae, McPhail and others, or paid smallish fees and then sold on players for massive profit, Chopra, Johnson, Loovens etc. But when our managers are given any cash to spend it seems to be generally misspent.
    Mackay bought Odemwingie, Cornelius, but he did sign Mutch who we made a profit on ,Caulker and Model, we got our money back on. But best of all he got Gunnarsson on a free.
    OGS signed Eikram, Daehli, Fabio, Berget, Cala and Jones and had Zaha on loan. Cala and Fabio were free and the rest didn't cost too much. But when we got relegated he went a bit mad on the spending, Manga, Morrison, Le Fondre, Adeyemi, Pilkington, Dikgacoi, and others of which Morrison and Manga were excellent and the rest poor.
    Slade and Trollope weren't given much money Immers for £100k, O'Keefe for £750k (I know!), Zohore for £1m, Hows was a flop and Lambert.

It's only when Warnock came here was any real money spent, Tomlin £1.6m, Ward £1.6m, Bogle £750k, Paterson £425k, and loads of loans, then Madine £6m on 31 January 2018.
    Since then, Reid £10m, Cunningham £4m, Bacuna £3, Murphy £11, Smithies £3.5m, Flint £4m, Day free, Pack c£1m, Whyte £2m, Glatzel £5.5Vaulks £2m, Vassell £2m, Nelson free.. If this efees are right that's £54m in the last two years!! And the commitment to the Sala fee?

No wonder we are not spending any money in January, we got money for ZOhore and Manga in the summer which help towards the signings at the start of the season., I'm not sure when the money for Reid is due, next June probably. And we have a squad that we would struggle to sell any of for a decent fee except Etheridge, Smithies, maybe Murphy, Morrison.

And yet we are two points from he Play Offs which is remarkable given the way we have been playing. I hope Harris can tinker with the squad, unload a few , bring in a few bargains who will fight for a place and a few loans. We can but hope.

OGS signed Eikram, Daehli, Fabio, Berget, Cala and Jones and had Zaha on loan. Cala and Fabio were free and the rest didn't cost too much. But when we got relegated he went a bit mad on the spending, Manga, Morrison, Le Fondre, Adeyemi, Pilkington, Dikgacoi, and others of which Morrison and Manga were excellent and the rest poor.
    .[/QUOTE]

Pilkington wasnt a poor signing. Far from it.