Rebecca Long Bailey: 2%
    Richard Burgon - 1%
    Clive Lewis -1%

Re: And there off and running

Don't know - 57%

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Don't know - 57%
    Nobody knows , are they interested any longer , is the bigger worry for the party .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Nobody knows , are they interested any longer , is the bigger worry for the party .
    Fifty seven per cent? That's very slightly more than the number of those who voted for something other than the party which has an eighty seat majority isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Fifty seven per cent? That's very slightly more than the number of those who voted for something other than the party which has an eighty seat majority isn't it?
    See how easy it is to grab power

See how easy it is to grab power
    Once again, you leave me baffled.

Not a huge sample, but I was surprised by the result of this poll - I wouldn't be unhappy to see Starmer elected leader;=

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...s-first-choice

Not a huge sample, but I was surprised by the result of this poll - I wouldn't be unhappy to see Starmer elected leader;=

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...s-first-choice
    I like Starmer, but I'm also surprised that he came first in this poll (and mock elimination contest).

He is a white man, a London MP and a Remainer. For a party that wants to rebuild the Red Wall, and is embarrassed that the Tories have had two female leaders (and PMs) whilst Labour have only had a couple of interim female leaders (Margaret Beckett and Hariet Harman?) it seems a very conservative (small 'c') choice.

However, Starmer is competent and articulate (if not charismatic), has an interesting back-story, and is at pains to develop a pitch as a unity candidate. I suspect he is the one the Tories least want to win. He wouldn't be my first choice, but there would certainly be benefits if he did come through.

Also Brexit is not going away as the big issue in UK politics - not for years - and Starmer is totally on top of that brief!

I like Starmer, but I'm also surprised that he came first in this poll (and mock elimination contest).

He is a white man, a London MP and a Remainer. For a party that wants to rebuild the Red Wall, and is embarrassed that the Tories have had two female leaders (and PMs) whilst Labour have only had a couple of interim female leaders (Margaret Beckett and Hariet Harman?) it seems a very conservative (small 'c') choice.

However, Starmer is competent and articulate (if not charismatic), has an interesting back-story, and is at pains to develop a pitch as a unity candidate. I suspect he is the one the Tories least want to win. He wouldn't be my first choice, but there would certainly be benefits if he did come through.

Also Brexit is not going away as the big issue in UK politics - not for years - and Starmer is totally on top of that brief!
    I'd like Starmer because he exudes competence, when discussing Brexit anyway, and, although I'm sure it won't stop them, seems to me to be the candidate the Tory cheerleaders in the press will have the toughest time with. The public at large may not want him to be PM in sufficient numbers, but I don't feel he would attract the outright hostility that Corbyn does. Maybe that's not a very convincing reason to want someone to take charge, but I think it's a good place to start given where Labour finds itself currently.

Joined Labour recently and will be voting for Starmer.

I’d like to see Clive Lewis get more of a prominent role in the Shadow Cabinet along with a return for Yvette Cooper as Home Secretary opposition making mince meat of the evil bitch that is Pritti Patel.

Once again, you leave me baffled.
    Or without a sense of irony?

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Joined Labour recently and will be voting for Starmer.

I’d like to see Clive Lewis get more of a prominent role in the Shadow Cabinet along with a return for Yvette Cooper as Home Secretary opposition making mince meat of the evil bitch that is Pritti Patel.
    If a Tory used the words ( evil ) or
    ( bitch ) there would be uproar?
    I do agree Cooper is better in fact she is the best qualfied candidate for leader , however Labour cannot succumb to centralist political ladies with talent .

If a Tory used the words ( evil ) or
    ( bitch ) there would be uproar?
    I do agree Cooper is better in fact she is the best qualfied candidate for leader , however Labour cannot succumb to centralist political ladies with talent .

I couldn’t care less if there’s uproar or if you want to provide ‘balance’ Patel is the worst of that bunch and her dealings with Israel means she shouldn’t be anywhere near government the utter evil sociopathic bitch that she is.

I couldn’t care less if there’s uproar or if you want to provide ‘balance’ Patel is the worst of that bunch and her dealings with Israel means she shouldn’t be anywhere near government the utter evil sociopathic bitch that she is.
    Just started a thread about her , evil dangerous woman

He doesn't want to provide balance , hes a fecking raving tory , I have given him a chance but the number of times he jumps to their defence is a giveaway , he has cried wolf long enough for me , hes a tory , end of

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Just started a thread about her , evil dangerous woman

He doesn't want to provide balance , hes a fecking raving tory , I have given him a chance but the number of times he jumps to their defence is a giveaway , he has cried wolf long enough for me , hes a tory , end of
    But she is very Priti

Timetable for Labour leadership contest:

Here are the details of the timetable for the Labour leadership election decided by the NEC.

Tuesday 7 January: Nominations open from MPs and MEPs.
    Monday 13 January: Nominations from MPs and MEPs close at 2.30pm.
    Tuesday 14 January: Registered supporters applications open at 5pm.
    Thursday 16 January: Registered supporters’ applications close at 5pm.
    Wednesday 15 January: Second stage of nominations from constituency Labour parties and affiliates opens.
    Monday 20 January: Freeze date for eligibility for new members and affiliated supporters. Closes at 5pm.
    Friday 14 February: Close of CLP and affiliate nominations.
    Friday 21 February: Ballot opens.
    Thursday 2 April: Ballot closes at 12pm.
    Saturday 4 April: Special conference to announce results.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...tion-live-news

She is also not 'natural born british'.

Initial count of Labour MPs nominations (deadline for nominations is Monday)

LEADER:

Clive Lewis - 4
    Rebecca Long-Bailey - 26
    Lisa Nandy - 24
    Jess Phillips - 22
    Keir Starmer - 63
    Emily Thornberry - 9

DEPUTY:

Rosena Allin Khan - 16
    Richard Burgon - 18
    Dawn Butler - 14
    Ian Murray - 29
    Angela Rayner - 71

They have to get something around 20 MP nominations to get on the ballot paper.

Heisenberg

Initial count of Labour MPs nominations (deadline for nominations is Monday)

LEADER:

Clive Lewis - 4
    Rebecca Long-Bailey - 26
    Lisa Nandy - 24
    Jess Phillips - 22
    Keir Starmer - 63
    Emily Thornberry - 9

DEPUTY:

Rosena Allin Khan - 16
    Richard Burgon - 18
    Dawn Butler - 14
    Ian Murray - 29
    Angela Rayner - 71

They have to get something around 20 MP nominations to get on the ballot paper.
    Starmer seems the most electable candidate (in my humble opinion) so it's pleasing to see that he's getting the numbers from inside the party. I need a party to vote for that isn't just a protest vote to keep the Tories out... maybe it will be a Starmer-led Labour.