+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Decades under your belt

Re: Decades under your belt

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    1959 for me too. Home to Liverpool. That’s 8 decades. How did that happen
    You're just a boy Enoch. Home to Derby County in 1957 for me.

I'm a real glory hunter, as my first match was against Spurs on 11th March 1961 and I've got my Hull stub. Seven decades!

1959 for me, so just entering my 8th decade on the front line and last Saturday was not made any more palatable by our commanding officer declaring it a "curates egg" situation Curates egg my arris Mr Harris, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I saw my first Cardiff City game in the 1970’s. In the next week I will be watching them in the 2020’s. My sixth different decade following the Bluebirds. And I bet there are many more of you with more decades on the clock than I have.
    Late 70s was my first game but didn’t get into big time until the later 80s.
    God knows how much we have all spent

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    My mother only allowed me to go to Combination games for a season or two, my first league game was the 4-4 draw with Newcastle, August 62/63 season. First game after relegation, had to wait a bloody lifetime to see us in the top flight again, thanks Mam🤪
    Same first game as me

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    I was 75/76 as well!
    Must have been something in the water as this was my first as well!!!

My first live game was November 1971. Wolves 5 Arsenal 1. It was quite some game with Ray Kennedy giving Arsenal a 1-0 half time lead. Wolves were devastating in the second half with Derek Dougan scoring a couple.
    First Reading game live was at The Manor Ground Oxford in 1983 with a 2/1 win at Oxford Utd

1973 we beat Sunderland 4-1.

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    I'm a real glory hunter, as my first match was against Spurs on 11th March 1961 and I've got my Hull stub. Seven decades!
    I used to have the programme for that game as it was also my late uncle's first game

Do posters on here still buy football programmes? I still do but it’s definitely dying out.

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Must have been something in the water as this was my first as well!!!
    Hereford at home?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Do posters on here still buy football programmes? I still do but it’s definitely dying out.
    My son still gets a programme for each game. Hes got one for every Cardiff game played at the CCS, plus plenty of others.
    Probably worth a fraction of what I've paid for them over the years.

mid 70 's my first encounter as a kid , season ticket holder in the 1979/80 season

First game I can remember was City v Aston Villa (1-0) in April 1960 so 2020 is my seventh decade. I probably saw a game earlier than that but can't be sure 100%.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    My son still gets a programme for each game. Hes got one for every Cardiff game played at the CCS, plus plenty of others.
    Probably worth a fraction of what I've paid for them over the years.
    Can’t see them being sold in a few years time. Sad to see but inevitable in the online world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    How refreshing to read a post referring to decades without the word new.

As the last year of the 202nd decade commences, I too first saw City v Preston North End in I think 1971
    I know we won at home I think 5-2.

My name was announced over the loudspeakers in the Granstand.

A decade is ten years the new decade starts next year. 🙄
    But the teens are over. As will be the 20s when it's 2030.

Was definitely an august game as the sky was bright blue and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. I stood on the bob bank. I’ve no idea the exact year or even who we played, I think I’ve said 94 before but talking about it NYD with a mate it could easily have been 93 or 95 too. I just don’t remember. Neither does my dad who took me.

Amazes me how people remember things, my childhood is mainly a blur, I’m only 34. How do people remember 60 years back 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Any advances on 1958 as I don't fancy being the longest supporter here?
    My parents weren’t even born then.

Late 50's for me so that's 8 - simply amazing

At age 10 or 11, my mates and I would take the bus from Llanrumney, walk the length of Ninian Park Rd (stopping for a quick recce of Canton Sheds) then cross the lines to NP accessed by climbing the wall at the back of the Bob Bank.

My memories at that age include 2 players in particular that City hated playing against as they always scored : Tommy Johnston a Scot playing for Leyton Orient who was top scorer in '57-'58 Div 2 with 43 goals. The other was Brian Clough who in 6 seasons with Middlesbro between '55-'61 scored 197 in 213 games before 54 from 61 with Sunderland in the following years, He retired at 29 with an ACL injury.

I've seen City in all four divisions plus the Premier League.
    Welsh Cups, League Cups, FA Cups, Cup Winners Cups, Play-offs
    People have mentioned the April, 1960 win over Villa to secure promotion; others the win over Spurs in their double-winning season; and Real Madrid of course, was there for all of them.
    The earliest Bluebirds side that made an impression on me comprised Vearncombe in goal, Milne and Stitfall fullbacks, Harrington, Molloy and lovely Derek Sullivan (or Colin Baker) at half back, Brian Walsh, Tapscott, Graham Moore, and Colin "the Rock" Hudson. I think Ron Hewitt was there too.

In no particular order, here's my choice of notable players that excited me most in my decades watching City:

Gerry Hitchens. 40 goals in 95 between '55-'57 before moving to Serie A scoring 59 goals in 8 seasons. Came back to play for Worcester until he was 37 scoring 25 in 51 games. Also had 2 England caps. Sadly, died at 48 yrs.
    Danny Malloy, tough-guy centre-half and captain for 6 seasons '55-'61
    Joe Bonson,between '57-'60 he scored 36 in 72 appearances - star man
    Ivor Allchurch, he was nearly 33 when he joined City at the opening of the '62-'63 season. Obviously past his best but played 3 seasons 103 games, 39 goals - total class
    John Charles, Big John joined in August 1962 from Roma, again past his best but already a legend. 68 games (not all at CF) 18 goals
    Ian Gibson, joined aged 27 for 2 seasons '70-'72. Brilliant playmaker, magic in his boots
    Don Murray, centre-half for 11 seasons between '62-'75 making 532 appearances.
    John Toshack, 100 goals in 208 games between '65-'70 before joining Liverpool. Intelligent player
    Rob Earnshaw, 109 in 227 games between '97-'04. Quick, natural goalscorer. Fans adored him.
    Graham Kavanagh, captain fantastic between '01-'05, 31 in 165 games, how we could do with him now.
    Aaron Gunnarsson, dominated City's midfield for 8 seasons between 2011-19; another one we're missing badly.
    Whitts - 96 goals in 457 games between '07-'17. Delightful, classy player.

Happy Days