My first game in '68
    My dad's in '46
    Both grandfathers in the '20s
    My daughters in '96

Re: Decades under your belt

1959 for me
    I do not regret a second

1968 for me , last two games of the season, both 0-0. Then the first game of 68/69 lost 0-4 at home to Palace! What was I thinking of?

It seems a few on here first saw the City play in 1968 (myself included); would that have been the European Cup Winners Semi-final against Hamburg I wonder?

First game I think must have been 70/71 season after the Mexico World Cup ! That was the season Toshack was sold to Liverpool as I remember being on the Canton Stand for 5-1 win against Hull, Toshack scored a hat trick and was his last home game ??
    I thought I had seen Fred Davies in goal as well BUT if that is correct then that would have been 69/70 as I think Frank Parsons and Jim Eadie were goalkeepers in 70/71 season just before Bill Irwin joined ?

It could be I always thought I saw Davies as goalkeeper because I had the programmes that my dad used to buy me.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Dec 68 for me, so my 7th decade.

I'm (only) 60 but this is my 8th decade of life which seems bizarre
    If the end of year the very first year that we consider as AD was 31st December 1 AD then the first decade would have ended on 31st December 10 AD. Carry that on until the present time and the new decade actually starts a year from today.

My mother only allowed me to go to Combination games for a season or two, my first league game was the 4-4 draw with Newcastle, August 62/63 season. First game after relegation, had to wait a bloody lifetime to see us in the top flight again, thanks Mam🤪

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    It seems a few on here first saw the City play in 1968 (myself included); would that have been the European Cup Winners Semi-final against Hamburg I wonder?
    Hull stubs for me. City drew Arsenal in the FA cup, you needed tickets from the previous week to get in. City home to Hull Dec 28th 1968, City 3-0 Hull, Toshack, Clark & King (TOBW?). My 2nd game was the 0-0 against Arsenal, 55,000 or there about's, 4/1/69. My feet never touched the ground & I barely saw the game, that's when I became hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    If the end of year the very first year that we consider as AD was 31st December 1 AD then the first decade would have ended on 31st December 10 AD. Carry that on until the present time and the new decade actually starts a year from today.
    When did Year 1 AD start?
    What came before it? Year dot, or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    When did Year 1 AD start?
    What came before it? Year dot, or something else?
    1 BC preceded 1 AD. There was no year zero.

What about the Julian/Gregorian changeover?

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    What about the Julian/Gregorian changeover?

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
    By 11 days. We are still a year out in celebrating the new decade.

See the "happy new year thread, you boring old fart!

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    See the "happy new year thread, you boring old fart!
    Haven't read that one, my child. May your 2020 be filled with serendipity and deep joy

1st game for me was a Desmond 2-2 against Blackburn Rovers at NP in the 70’s.

By 11 days. We are still a year out in celebrating the new decade.
    "Carry that on until the present time and the new decade actually starts a year from today."

7th decade and just over 50 years following City. First match was a night game in the 68/69 season. A draw against Swindon.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    "Carry that on until the present time and the new decade actually starts a year from today."

And if Jesus was born on the 25th December the 26th should really have been 1st January

Any advances on 1958 as I don't fancy being the longest supporter here?

I watched my first Cardiff game in 1977. My Grandfather and Great Uncle watched 1925 FA cup final but missed the 1927 one.

60's for me, but due to ill-health only once in 2010's
    My dad in 30's
    My grandfather in the 10's

1967 for me.

First game I saw we lost 5-1 to Derby

1976. I'm just a pup.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Any advances on 1958 as I don't fancy being the longest supporter here?
    I can help you out there. My first game would have been around 1954/55. Was taken down by my Dad and Uncle. In those days the little ones were allowed to sit on the cinder track around the pitch and I do have a brief recollection of being passed down over the heads of the crowd and would wait there until my dad came down at the end of the match. This, of course, could be my imagination, although I don't think so, and I certainly have no recollection of the matches I saw at that time!! Billy Baker was playing though as he used to live in the club house in Talworth Street and I used to play with his son.

Thanks. I remember my first game clearly but those that followed rather less. In those days I relied on someone to take me as I was only 10 years old but from around the age of 12 I was a regular travelling there with friends. I can't remember Billy Baker but there was a Colin Baker who played in I think the late 1960's.