+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gavin Whyte, Going?

Gavin Whyte, Going?

A few on here are suggesting that Whyte could be on his way out...........Why?

In his limited time on the pitch he has shown more consistency and than the much more experienced at this level, Murphy.

Re: Gavin Whyte, Going?

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post

In his limited time on the pitch he has shown more consistency and than the much more experienced at this level, Murphy.
    Sometimes faces just don't fit. Maybe there's a contract clause where we can get out of a few addon payments if he's not here?

He's very lightweight but I do like him as a player. I think he'd work better with Madine as he seems very capable of getting crosses in.

I'd take him over Mendez-Laing or Murphy any day.

At the moment we have NML out injured and Murphy out of favour. So if we are to play with two wide men in then we only have Whyte and Hoilett to chose from. There is no pace in our team so and Whyte/Hoilett are not the quickest either.

I like Whyte he needs regular game time

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    At the moment we have NML out injured and Murphy out of favour. So if we are to play with two wide men in then we only have Whyte and Hoilett to chose from. There is no pace in our team so and Whyte/Hoilett are not the quickest either.
    Whyte is very quick. Have you seen him play ?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Whyte is very quick. Have you seen him play ?
    I agree he is one of the few in the squad I would be happy to keep. Will burn Carlisle up Saturday if he plays. Juries out if hes up to Champ level but I am hopeful.

He's technically poor, everything is done at a million miles an hour (apart from his running) and he's completely headless. Apart from that, he's great. What's he done? Harris clearly doesn't rate him either. He's only been playing professionally for 18 months so I'm far from writing him off but apart from work rate, he doesn't really offer anything going forwards.

I've not seen anything that's impressed me so far. Wouldn't be disappointed if he goes. Another poor Warnock signing.

Wouldn't be sorry to see Whyte go. Good worker but in his time with us hasn't scored or created anything. Haven't seen in him any creative spark

He's learning, he's quick ,works hard ,tracks back, with each game I thought he was progressing.

Very unfinished article, although he does get a chance internationally, someone sees something in him ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    He's learning, he's quick ,works hard ,tracks back, with each game I thought he was progressing.

Very unfinished article, although he does get a chance internationally, someone sees something in him ??
    What does he do besides run around? He's not scored and set up 1 goal in 17 games.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Wales have had internationals that I wouldn't consider for us. Anyone with an ounce of talent in any division gets a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's technically poor, everything is done at a million miles an hour (apart from his running) and he's completely headless. Apart from that, he's great. What's he done? Harris clearly doesn't rate him either. He's only been playing professionally for 18 months so I'm far from writing him off but apart from work rate, he doesn't really offer anything going forwards.
    I agree with that.

He always looks busy but so far has disappointed which is a shame as I always have such high hopes for new signings, especially forward players, and especially when we pay money for them.

I can’t say that I’d be sorry if he left.

Then again, I could say that about quite a few of the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I agree with that.

He always looks busy but so far has disappointed which is a shame as I always have such high hopes for new signings, especially forward players, and especially when we pay money for them.

I can’t say that I’d be sorry if he left.

Then again, I could say that about quite a few of the squad.
    We could also flip that on its head and ask how many players would end up leaving us for promotion seeking sides? I suspect the number to be very low. Would Whyte attract interest from West Brom? No chance. If he's not good enough for them, why should he be good enough for us?

Technically poor? Compared to who? Mendez-Laing?

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Technically poor? Compared to who? Mendez-Laing?
    Compared to good, consistent Championship wingers?

I'd imagine he'd be going on loan, surely? It might do him good if he went to a Championship team lower down the League where he's guaranteed game time. He's still young and it would be a shame if he doesn't get the opportunity to develop.

I started reading this thread and was wondering whether we had two players called Gavin Whyte because I didn't recognise the one I was reading about. I'm more in agreement with you because I think that, rather like people advocating getting rid of Etheridge because of his kicking, Whyte is being judged by things that are welcome in a winger, but are not their main function. When you have a team as short of creativity as we were earlier in the season when Tomlin was not playing that much, you need wingers to do what they are supposed to do (i.e. provide goals and goal scoring opportunities). Whyte has some admirable qualities, but, thus far, they've not included the provision of goals and goalscoring opportunities. To me, he lacks composure when he gets a chance to come up with either of those two things, so I wouldn't write him off yet because that might come with more confidence and experience, but our wingers have under achieved this season and I'd still say Whyte is only our third or fourth choice in that position.

Whyte is 24 this month. We were relegated from the Premier League as we weren’t good enough so to improve the squad we recruited a player who at his age has an unremarkable record playing lower league football and paid a sum believed to be around £2m for the privilege. I hope he comes good but like most of the signings Warnock spent good money on it doesn’t make sense to me.

He's only been here for 5 minutes - give him a bit of time. I remember when he signed, the Oxford fans were going nuts because we "robbed" them by only paying £2m for him.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I'd imagine he'd be going on loan, surely? It might do him good if he went to a Championship team lower down the League where he's guaranteed game time. He's still young and it would be a shame if he doesn't get the opportunity to develop.
    Any more repeat performances like the other day and he'll be playing with a Championship team lower down the league for sure..

I'd be surprised if we weren't looking to move Murphy on. Paid a good fee, decent wages and he hasn't looked happy or done enough. Not to say he's a bad player but for us it's not worked out and we could free up some cash.

Whyte we wouldn't get much for but he is new to this level and for me hasn't had a good run of games yet.

Assuming Murphy was to move on I'd be surprised to see Whyte go anywhere.

Actually just noticed NML is likely out for season so perhaps Murphy won't be going anywhere either.

In his limited time on the pitch he has shown more consistency and than the much more experienced at t
    his level, Murphy.
    ....Whyte can beat a man..Murphy can't..

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    He's only been here for 5 minutes - give him a bit of time. I remember when he signed, the Oxford fans were going nuts because we "robbed" them by only paying £2m for him.
    Look at Luton and Barnsley, they're struggling. The distance between the Champ and League One is huge. Whyte is young but he needs to kick on a lot if he's going to make it here.